Canada 2008: Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:57:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada 2008: Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34
Author Topic: Canada 2008: Official Thread  (Read 93622 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: October 13, 2008, 10:20:30 PM »

Americans may have difficulty getting results. Canadian law expressly forbids transmitting results to regions of the country in which voting is still open. IIRC from 2006 this means no online feeds or online results in general.

In 2006 C-SPAN simulcast CBC coverage. I pray they do it again because otherwise I don't know of any way to get results.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #751 on: October 13, 2008, 10:53:12 PM »

Americans may have difficulty getting results. Canadian law expressly forbids transmitting results to regions of the country in which voting is still open. IIRC from 2006 this means no online feeds or online results in general.

In 2006 C-SPAN simulcast CBC coverage. I pray they do it again because otherwise I don't know of any way to get results.

You will have results when BC will close at 10:00 PM Eastern Time. So 7:00 PM for Washington State and 4:00 AM for UK. You won't miss many things since Alberta to Quebec closes at 9:30 PM.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #752 on: October 13, 2008, 11:11:03 PM »

I was just in Toronto and stayed mainly in North York for a bar mitzvah. It was pretty clear to me that Jews were supporting the Tories, but it looks like the majority of voters in places like Eglinton-Lawrence are Liberals (immigrants like the Italians and Filipinos). Very interesting election up North, but it doesn't look like much will change at this point.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #753 on: October 14, 2008, 12:00:16 AM »

For the record, MaxQue, I said Trudeau would win Papineau.

I was just in Toronto and stayed mainly in North York for a bar mitzvah. It was pretty clear to me that Jews were supporting the Tories, but it looks like the majority of voters in places like Eglinton-Lawrence are Liberals (immigrants like the Italians and Filipinos). Very interesting election up North, but it doesn't look like much will change at this point.

I wonder if Thornhill will be a surprise again, then?

Voting in the northern constituencies is weird and unpredictable.

I know candidate hometown plays a large part in Nunavut, at least, IIRC.

This is true. That's why the Green's have the best chance there, not in Central Nova.

i just noticed, nunavut has really horrible turnout.

Not in territorial elections. Their last territorial race had over 100% turnout I believe.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #754 on: October 14, 2008, 12:15:22 AM »

For the record, MaxQue, I said Trudeau would win Papineau.

I mixed Papineau with Rosemont.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #755 on: October 14, 2008, 12:57:51 AM »

After rereading the Canada Elections Act, I'm certain that an election must be called in one year. Of course, it won't, but that's a different matter.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #756 on: October 14, 2008, 01:10:10 AM »

After rereading the Canada Elections Act, I'm certain that an election must be called in one year. Of course, it won't, but that's a different matter.

Yeah, I remember reading when it was just a bill in the house. THEY NEVER FIXED IT. I had this discussion on Wikipedia, and someone told me that the wording is vague, but it doesn't mean an election will occur in a year. It might mean 4 years, I forget. We'll see what the new parliament does.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #757 on: October 14, 2008, 01:21:37 AM »

Yeah, I remember reading when it was just a bill in the house. THEY NEVER FIXED IT. I had this discussion on Wikipedia, and someone told me that the wording is vague, but it doesn't mean an election will occur in a year. It might mean 4 years, I forget. We'll see what the new parliament does.

It's written clearly that there will be an election on October 19, 2009.

It'd be funnier if it was let slide and the NDP sued for an October election come September next year.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #758 on: October 14, 2008, 01:26:05 AM »

It's written clearly that there will be an election on October 19, 2009.

It'd be funnier if it was let slide and the NDP sued for an October election come September next year.

Canadians would be pissed. Bad idea.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #759 on: October 14, 2008, 03:06:07 AM »

C-SPAN is simulcasting the CBC coverage beginning at 4 PM PST Cheesy
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #760 on: October 14, 2008, 04:48:00 AM »

i just noticed, nunavut has really horrible turnout.

I noticed the same thing about Labrador the other week - a 10.86% margin sounds great, but it's really just 1240 voters. At those levels, 620 people change their minds or the Tories GOTV an extra 1250 people and you have a new MP. Of course, that's all easier said then done, but the turnout is obviously horrendous.
Hate to break it to you, but you're sorely mistaken. These are tiny electorates with an above-average (extremely so, in Nunavut's case) percentage of minors. The turnout is low, but it's near the bottom end of an unbroken range, rather than anywhere out of the ordinary.

(Canada 64.7%. Nunavut 54.1%, NWT 56.2%, Newfoundland 56.7% - with Labrador above average at 58.0% - other provinces between 61.9% and 69.2% - and Yukon at 66.1% - except PEI at 73.2%. There are sub-Nunavut turnouts in ridings in Newfoundland (1), Québec (2), Manitoba (several), Alberta (several, including the nation's only sub-50% in Fort McMurray - Atbabasca) and BC (1).)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #761 on: October 14, 2008, 06:40:47 AM »

So, any place on the interwebs were we can get results from places already closed before Ontario actually closes? I'm not waiting until 9PMEST for results.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #762 on: October 14, 2008, 06:50:00 AM »

Nanos's last five-day regional breakdowns (I'm not a fan of using poll internals as polls themselves, but this is all we have and it does matter...)

Atlantic: Lib 41, NDP 26, Con 24, Green 10
Montreal: BQ 35, Lib 30, NDP 22, Con 7, Green 6
Rest of Quebec: BQ 42, Con 22, Lib 17, NDP 13, Green 6
GTA: Lib 34, Con 33, NDP 26, Green 7
SW Ontario: Lib 38, Con 32, NDP 23, Green 7
Northern and Eastern Ontario: Con 35, Lib 30, NDP 27, Green 8
Manitoba and Saskatchewan: Con 45, NDP 28, Lib 19, Green 9
Alberta: Con 64, Lib 14, NDP 13, Green 9
Lower Mainland: Con 38, Lib 32, NDP 21, Green 10
Rest of BC: Con 36, Lib 27, NDP 26, Green 12

MoE's are rather large, obviously. Take with as much salt as you deem appropriate.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #763 on: October 14, 2008, 09:39:33 AM »

So, any place on the interwebs were we can get results from places already closed before Ontario actually closes? I'm not waiting until 9PMEST for results.

No, nobody will take the risk to be prosecuted by the government and that is 9:30 PM EDT.

By the way, I know than this is not to me to say that, but you can't discuss of results on the forum before 10:00 PM EDT. If you say results before this hour, you can, and by seeing what happened last elections, you will be prosecuted.

We will can talk on Internet after:
7:00 PM PDT, 8:00 PM MDT and CST (Saskaschewan don't use DST), 9:00 PM CDT, 10:00 PM EDT, 11:30 PM ADT and 11:30 PM NDT.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #764 on: October 14, 2008, 09:50:03 AM »

By the way, I know than this is not to me to say that, but you can't discuss of results on the forum before 10:00 PM EDT. If you say results before this hour, you can, and by seeing what happened last elections, you will be prosecuted.

This forum is hosted in the U.S, and the moderator of this particular board lives in Britain so maybe that won't be a problem.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What's that over here [qm]. I think we're still on BST.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #765 on: October 14, 2008, 09:53:16 AM »

This forum is hosted in the U.S, and the moderator of this particular board lives in Britain so maybe that won't be a problem.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

3:00 AM BST, sadly for you.

What's that over here [qm]. I think we're still on BST.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #766 on: October 14, 2008, 10:07:06 AM »

I have to get up early tomorrow, anyway. Maybe I could get up very early...
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #767 on: October 14, 2008, 10:41:33 AM »

Same here. Just out of curiosity, where are you located Sibboleth? I'm in London, Kings X area
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #768 on: October 14, 2008, 10:42:40 AM »

Same here. Just out of curiosity, where are you located Sibboleth? I'm in London, Kings X area

North Wales
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #769 on: October 14, 2008, 10:52:55 AM »

Hashemite could still be prosecuted, because he is still in Canada, I believe regardless of where the forum is hosted.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #770 on: October 14, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »

Hashemite could still be prosecuted, because he is still in Canada, I believe regardless of where the forum is hosted.

True.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #771 on: October 14, 2008, 10:57:56 AM »

Good Lord. What a stupid, petty, fascist little law.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #772 on: October 14, 2008, 11:06:44 AM »

Good Lord. What a stupid, petty, fascist little law.

I agree with you. The law exists to ''protect'' voters from British Colombia.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #773 on: October 14, 2008, 11:24:12 AM »

It's certainly a very stupid law, but I think just to be safe it's worth not mentioning anything on here before the times MaxQue mentioned.

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #774 on: October 14, 2008, 11:30:42 AM »

Just to make it sure. Will the local stations broadcast anything whatsoever in Atlantic Canada? If yes, and if we have somebody here, who is right accross the border and can whatch those, that person should be able to post things without any threat of prosecution. Shouldn't s/he?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies