Canada 2008: Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:52:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada 2008: Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 34
Author Topic: Canada 2008: Official Thread  (Read 93449 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2008, 05:28:23 PM »
« edited: September 04, 2008, 08:06:37 PM by Kentoc'h mervel eget saotr »

Hopefully it's going to be soon. Harper is a jackass.

The last polls or so have been quite close between Dion and Harper.

Feb 4 Poll from "Nanos Research"
Lib 33
Con 31
NDP 19
BQ 10
Green 8

Jan 27 Poll from Harris Decima
Lib 32
Con 29
NDP 16
Green 12
BQ 9

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 05:44:02 PM »

I was having fun on PollingReport with the Harris Decima poll:

Quebec
BQ 37
Lib 21
Con 14
Green 13
NDP 12

Ontario
Lib 44
Con 30
NDP 15
Green 10

Prairies
Lib 39
Con 37
NDP 13
Green 12

BC
Con 34
Lib 25
NDP 20
Green 18 (Go Green!)

Alberta
Con 55
Lib 16
NDP 16
Green 11
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 06:02:03 PM »

Wow @ Quebec.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 06:07:27 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2008, 05:55:04 PM by Kevin »

Go Go BQ!

Vive Le Québec Libre!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 06:15:30 PM »

Actually, 37% is 4% less than what the BQ got in 2006.  That poll is not a good show for them.

The surprising part is the Greens and NDP at 13% and 12%.  They got only 4% and 8% in 2006, respectively.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 07:10:46 PM »

Don't Greens tend to overpoll? I cannot see Quebec voting strongly Green and NDP, although the lower BQ numbers do help. Has Quebec suddenly become more federalist? I'm also shocked that the Greens are a point away from the Conservatives; even for Quebec that's sad. I thought Harper was trying to gain back the vote in Quebec... I guess he failed.

I'd like to see a Green actually win a seat. Maybe Elizabeth May can win one, or in Bruce or BC.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »

Don't Greens tend to overpoll? I cannot see Quebec voting strongly Green and NDP, although the lower BQ numbers do help. Has Quebec suddenly become more federalist? I'm also shocked that the Greens are a point away from the Conservatives; even for Quebec that's sad. I thought Harper was trying to gain back the vote in Quebec... I guess he failed.

I'd like to see a Green actually win a seat. Maybe Elizabeth May can win one, or in Bruce or BC.

I'd like to see Peter MacKay defeated. I hate that scum.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 07:13:58 PM »

Yes, they do.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 09:32:57 PM »

The NDP has a seat in Quebec now, so their numbers make sense. I'm surprised they're not higher, actually.

The Greens do tend to over poll, but the last provincial election in Ontario showed only a little bit of over polling. It's quite unfortunate, since the Greens are basically the NDP with a messed up economic policy.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 11:30:21 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2008, 11:32:09 PM by Verily »

Not in Ontario 2007, which implies that they are no longer overpolling.

The NDP has a seat in Quebec now, so their numbers make sense. I'm surprised they're not higher, actually.

The Greens do tend to over poll, but the last provincial election in Ontario showed only a little bit of over polling. It's quite unfortunate, since the Greens are basically the NDP with an messed up intelligent economic policy.

Fixed.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 07:41:42 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2008, 07:44:03 AM by cp »

The Greens do tend to over poll, but the last provincial election in Ontario showed only a little bit of over polling. It's quite unfortunate, since the Greens are basically the NDP with a messed up economic policy.

Funny, I always thought it was the other way around.

On a more serious note, is this thread not jumping the gun a little? I know that an election looks likely but it's looked likely for the past 18 months.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 02:23:46 AM »

Not in Ontario 2007, which implies that they are no longer overpolling.

The Greens do tend to over poll, but the last provincial election in Ontario showed only a little bit of over polling. It's quite unfortunate, since the Greens are basically the NDP with an messed up intelligent economic policy.

Fixed.

Har har. The "Green tax shift" is all great in theory, but would never work. The NDP's economic policy is hardly as radical.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 03:44:45 AM »

Prime Minister Dion sounds better than Prime Minister Harper dosen't it?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 11:50:59 AM »

Prime Minister Dion sounds better than Prime Minister Harper dosen't it?

"DZEE-yaw(n)"

Not really
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 04:03:00 AM »

Miles better than Layton, but not quite as good as May. Wink
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 04:17:20 AM »

Keep dreaming. Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 12:04:43 PM »

Keep dreaming. Tongue

Even poll results show Canadians prefer Layton over Dion, despite being a third party.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 04:07:16 AM »

yeah, those polls also showed that Martin was their consistent favourite by something like 30 points over Harper and Layton . . . until Harper got elected, then Harper jumped to his own 30 point lead. People like the devil they know.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 10:25:04 AM »

She wont win, but a former Liberal backbencher in Quebec will be running for the NDP in Gatineau.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2008/02/25/ot-boivin-080225.html

It's rare to see a Liberal switch to the orange side, so I am happy to see this.  It looks like Mulcair may have started something.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 10:12:26 AM »

She wont win, but a former Liberal backbencher in Quebec will be running for the NDP in Gatineau.

It's rare to see a Liberal switch to the orange side, so I am happy to see this.  It looks like Mulcair may have started something.

Thank God for that. Her record indicates she was never really at home in the Liberal Party anyway. She was critical of U.S./Canada relations under Martin, which were never very chummy to begin with, and she only served one term in office before being ousted.

As for a trend, most of the Liberals in Quebec who left the party were conservative-leaning anyway. They're probably being courted by the Tories and Bloc more than the NDP.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 10:16:49 AM »

Didn't the NDP do "well" there in 2006? Like 15% or something?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 10:23:27 AM »

10%. Got 15% in nextdoor Hull-Aylmer.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 11:32:47 AM »

10%. Got 15% in nextdoor Hull-Aylmer.

Still one of their better ridings, but a former one-term MP is not going to take the NDP out of fourth place to victory.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 07:28:44 PM »

We're not having elections again this year because of Stephen Dion (misspelled on purpose). He didn't like the budget but these incompetent failures are going to vote for it (or abstain, as the Liberals love to do). Remind me why the Liberals form the official opposition and why the Liberals aren't in a coalition with Harper? They seem to like him an awful lot. Dion and the Liberals are a joke, a failure, and incompetent pussies.

Can the NDP and Bloc be given the official opposition already? They seem more up to the job than the Conservaberal Party.

I told my mother not to bother calling Mauril Belanger to offer our support in an "election" firstly because I don't support incompetent idiots and second of all, Obese Belanger is safe.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 12:48:47 AM »

Just interesting, Strategic Counsel had a poll in January of party leaders' favorability. Duceppe came on top (as usual) with 62%, followed by Harper on 58%, May on 56%, Layton on 55%... and Dion on 39%. Says a lot for why the Liberals are having trouble.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies