MD-1 Republican primary results thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:33:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-1 Republican primary results thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: MD-1 Republican primary results thread  (Read 3288 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 12:52:15 AM »

Looks like both sides are purging moderates from their ranks again.  Not a good sign...
This is truly a tragic day for the Republican Party. Gilchrest led the first against DeLay's plan to abolish the EPA in the 1990s. Gilchrest was an environmental steward in a Republican Party that once led the nation on those issues. Richard Nixon signed the ESA, CW, CAA,  and other landmark environmental laws at a time when protecting the environmental was a bipartisan concern.

Gone are the days of Howard Baker and Pete McCloksey, two Republicans from disparate wings of their party, uniting to pass the CAA. The movement toward anti-environmentalism was accelerated by Reagan who appointed industry hacks like Anne Gorsuch and James Watt to powerful places in government. The loss of environmental champion Gilchrest is the culmination of this disastrous shift.

On a personal note, my childhood political hero was Republican Teddy Rooselvet. I was inspired by the work of Gifford Pinchot, another Republican. Most of my political heroes have been environmentally concerned Republicans. I'm deeply saddened to see the Republican Party sever its ties to the less-radical brand of environmentalism that was once espoused by so many of its leaders.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 12:55:26 AM »

Looks like both sides are purging moderates from their ranks again.  Not a good sign...

Al Wynn was a corrupt corporate Democrat that didn't fit his district. Thank god he's gone and someone better will now fill his seat.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 12:57:28 AM »

Something was wrong with Gilchrist beyond ideology if he could only get 35% of the vote. Maybe he came to viewed as an ineffectual  clown or something. I have not been following things Gilchrist.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 12:59:34 AM »

Something was wrong with Gilchrist beyond ideology if he could only get 35% of the vote. Maybe he came to viewed as an ineffectual  clown or something. I have not been following things Gilchrist.
No. He lost because Pipkin split Gilhcrest's Eastern Shore and because he took courageous stands agaisnt the Iraq War and Bush's reckless fiscal policies. For all those Republicans who say their party is an open tent, I say remember MD-01.

The House GOP just lost one of the few statesman in its caucus.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 01:01:13 AM »

Al Wynn was a corrupt corporate Democrat that didn't fit his district. Thank god he's gone and someone better will now fill his seat.

You don't see what's going on, but you've never seen what's going on.  What's the point?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2008, 01:01:52 AM »

lol
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2008, 01:02:09 AM »

So, let's go over this...

Dem's primary one of their's = Amazing victory for mainstream America, defeat of evil corporations, etc.

Republicans primary one of their's = Fascism is on the march!

Someday sanity will prevail.

Thank God for John McCain, otherwise I would probably start to lose hope.

Can Mike Bloomberg run for Congress? Smiley

Except McCain is a conservative and Bloomberg is a liberal.  Tongue
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2008, 01:03:51 AM »

You don't see what's going on, but you've never seen what's going on.  What's the point?

I agree with Spade that we could be seeing the beginning of a purge in both parties. Whether this is just localized to Maryland, a symptom of the greater movement to the poles by the Ds and the Rs, or the start of an anti-incumbent (1992, anyone?) move in America will be much debated in the coming months.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2008, 01:07:18 AM »

Dem's primary one of their's = Amazing victory for mainstream America, defeat of evil corporations, etc.

KP,  no need to resort  tohyperbole. I haven't heard a single Democratic hail Edwards' win as an "amazing victory for mainstream America."

Gilchrest's loss has nothing to do with Fascism and everything to do with the political sway of radical organizations like Club for Growth.

The Club for Growth and Moveon.org won big tonight. Anytime that happens is bad for the two parties, Congress, and democracy itself.

This tide of ideolgical rigidity is quite pernicious, my friend.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2008, 01:14:13 AM »

I think the voters of both these districts spoke tonight and they said they wanted someone more in line with their own political beliefs. I don't see any problem with that.

Am I happy that a more liberal member beat a conservative member of my party? Yes. Do I find it enjoyable that the GOP is purging moderates from their ranks? Yes. But I don't think this is really a good or bad thing for America as a whole. It's just the voters making a decision.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2008, 01:17:16 AM »

The Almanac of American Politics 2006 on Gilchrest:

"The congressman from the 1st District is Wayne Gilchrest, first elected in 1990. He is a Republican with political views that stamp him as an independent thinker, both on national and local issues. Gilchrest served in the Marine Corps in the Dominican Republic and then in Vietnam, where he was wounded in the chest as a platoon leader and received the Purple Heart and Bronze Star; he returned to study rural poverty in Appalachia, taught history in high school for 13 years and painted houses in the summer.

Gilchrest's voting record in recent years has been almost precisely at the midpoint of the House, making him a crucial vote on many issues. His specialty, helpful in a district centered on the Chesapeake Bay, is environmental protection, without sacrificing economic development. His committee assignments--Resources and Transportation, with the chairmanship of the Fisheries Conservation, Wildlife & Oceans Panel on Resources--give him some leverage on these issues. With little notice, he has helped to enact several pro-environment laws, including a measure to assist in conservation of marine turtles and another to expand the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in Cecil County. He encouraged a federal program to restore oysters in the Bay by expanding their protected areas, and he secured additional funding for farm conservation on the Shore to reduce agricultural runoff into the Bay. He worked to enforce international treaties to conserve migratory fish, plus tigers and African elephants. He led a bipartisan movement to create a single House committee with sole jurisdiction over oceans policy. He opposed the National Rifle Association in 1999 on its amendment to weaken restrictions on gun show sales--in a district where many are strongly opposed to gun control. He has made multiple visits to post-Saddam Iraq to assess conditions.

He has been a maverick to the point of being courageous--and occasionally effective--in taking on local economic and political powers.
He attacked large poultry producers for running roughshod over local chicken growers. He opposed efforts backed by the Port of Baltimore to dredge the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal, which links the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays; his objections outraged powerful Marylanders, but the Army Corps of Engineers abandoned the plan. He opposed Governor Bob Ehrlich's plan to legalize slot machines. "Making it easier and encouraging people to be idle and mindless is not what the government is all about," he told a hearing in Annapolis."

I wish I could've voted for him today...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2008, 06:03:28 AM »

Do I find it enjoyable that the GOP is purging moderates from their ranks? Yes.

Why? Ah yes. You must be young and stupid.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I understand that what I'm about to say breaks various rules and laws of internet debate but... Christ... look how many people voted Nazi. It is possible for "votings making a decision" to be a very, very bad thing.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2008, 06:17:28 AM »

Ah yes, you must be obnoxious and assuming.

But I don't think this is really a good or bad thing for America as a whole. It's just the voters making a decision.

I understand that what I'm about to say breaks various rules and laws of internet debate but... Christ... look how many people voted Nazi. It is possible for "votings making a decision" to be a very, very bad thing.

Unlike electing a Nazi, I'm fairly sure the voters of the first district of Maryland electing a slightly more conservative member of Congress will allow the Republic to continue. There are fundamentally wrong voting decisions, this was not one of them. This was voters electing someone who fit their beliefs better. So be it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2008, 06:20:25 AM »

Ah yes, you must be obnoxious and assuming.

Maybe I am. But I don't see what that has to do with anything.

Unlike electing a Nazi, I'm fairly sure the voters of the first district of Maryland electing a slightly more conservative member of Congress will allow the Republic to continue. There are fundamentally wrong voting decisions, this was not one of them. This was voters electing someone who fit their beliefs better. So be it.

What, exactly, do you think that the electoral appeal of the Nazis was?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2008, 08:00:33 AM »

I preferred Gilchrest because he was a moderate. I also have a low opinion of Club for Growth-backed candidates, as they tend to be dim bulbs.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2008, 09:39:50 AM »

It all started with Cynthia McKinney's purging for her moderate views. Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2008, 10:01:34 AM »

I preferred Gilchrest because he was a moderate.
That write-up up there makes him sound like no Republican at all.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
...or worse.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2008, 11:34:09 AM »

Gilchrest would be great as director of the EPA or secretary of the interior in the next administration.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2008, 02:03:52 PM »

I've been wondering the same thing for years
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2008, 02:55:18 PM »

Sad
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2008, 03:23:06 PM »

KP,  no need to resort  tohyperbole. I haven't heard a single Democratic hail Edwards' win as an "amazing victory for mainstream America."

Gilchrest's loss has nothing to do with Fascism and everything to do with the political sway of radical organizations like Club for Growth.

The Club for Growth and Moveon.org won big tonight. Anytime that happens is bad for the two parties, Congress, and democracy itself.

Yeah except it's implied that it is. Edwards' victory is fine for you guys but we should be ashamed for moving to the "extreme?" Where is your criticism of Edwards' victory? If you posted it, let me know and I'll stand corrected but I don't see Wynn in your signature.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2008, 03:24:21 PM »

I agree with Spade that we could be seeing the beginning of a purge in both parties. Whether this is just localized to Maryland, a symptom of the greater movement to the poles by the Ds and the Rs, or the start of an anti-incumbent (1992, anyone?) move in America will be much debated in the coming months.

If this is a 1992 style anti-incumbent environment, I don't see how Hillary Clinton can win this thing.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2008, 05:17:34 PM »

If this is a 1992 style anti-incumbent environment, I don't see how Hillary Clinton can win this thing.

You don't see how Hillary Clinton can win in an anti-incumbent environment...against a four term senator?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2008, 05:58:23 PM »

Gilchrest would be great as director of the EPA or secretary of the interior in the next administration.
Yes. Lugar as SOS and Gilchrest for EPA Admin. or Sec. of Interior.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2008, 06:00:20 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2008, 06:07:46 PM by Remember MD-01! »

Yeah except it's implied that it is. Edwards' victory is fine for you guys but we should be ashamed for moving to the "extreme?" Where is your criticism of Edwards' victory? If you posted it, let me know and I'll stand corrected but I don't see Wynn in your signature.
If you read this thread carefully, you'll notice that I didn't praise her win, either.

I denounced Gilhcrest's loss also because he's a political hero of mine. While I've been a Democrat all my life, my two political heroes in Congress were Jim Leach and Wayne Gilhcrest. The only moderates left in the GOP caucus are hyperpartisans like Chris Shays and Mark Kirk.

Neither Kirk nor Shays can match the bipartisan ways of Gilchrest and Leach. While the Democrats still have conservatives like Bud Cramer in their caucus, the House Republicans are now an ultra-right bloc with virtually no centrists, and nary a liberal in sight.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies