Science Debate 2008 Petition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:18:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Science Debate 2008 Petition
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Science Debate 2008 Petition  (Read 1265 times)
Chipmunk
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2008, 11:43:12 PM »

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and after a quick glance, I didn't see this info posted anywhere else and thought it deserved some attention.  Sorry if I'm repeating info. 

The website http://www.sciencedebate2008.com/www/index.php?id=7  is creating a very successful petition to support the candidates engaging in a debate on various scientific issues.
From the website:
"A Call for a Presidential Debate on Science and Technology

Given the many urgent scientific and technological challenges facing America and the rest of the world, the increasing need for accurate scientific information in political decision making, and the vital role scientific innovation plays in spurring economic growth and competitiveness, we, the undersigned, call for a public debate in which the U.S. presidential candidates share their views on the issues of The Environment, Medicine and Health, and Science and Technology Policy."

Please consider signing this petition to increase the likelihood of a scientific debate.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 01:22:29 AM »

now that we're down to a reasonable number of candidates, maybe we can have a debate with Clinton, Obama, Huckabee, McCain and Paul. Aw fine, Gravel and Keyes can come too ;-)
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 12:05:10 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2008, 12:34:00 PM by tsionebreicruoc »

Well, nice initiative...

Concerning technologies, isn't this kind of debate already ruled?

"OK, we continue to invent new technologies to make movements and communications more easy, because peoples like it and because it permit to strongly improve World trade and consumption, the pillars of our society." Can such a debate on it go further than this today? Well, we can always try, we never know but I would surprised of other things.

To me, there is a point on the one such a debate could be interesting with the candidates. It is to know their position concerning illegitimate attacks made by neo-creationists (intelligent design) to true scientists.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 06:33:48 PM »

Sorry. I agree we need to get away from the Bush policy of stifling debate, but the only thing I think important is finding a self-contained way of making energy that doesn't involve oil, or anything else that has to be burned.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 10:20:14 AM »

Sorry. I agree we need to get away from the Bush policy of stifling debate, but the only thing I think important is finding a self-contained way of making energy that doesn't involve oil, or anything else that has to be burned.

You're right, it's a very important part of a debate on sciences, especially when we think about the future (let's imagine a world without electricity... Wow!)

And it is a possible debate, not as the one on technologies.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies