Just what is the Democrats' coalition?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:41:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Just what is the Democrats' coalition?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Just what is the Democrats' coalition?  (Read 1286 times)
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2008, 12:23:59 AM »

We're always hearing about the Reagan coalition of big business, Religious Right, harried hawks, lounging libertarians, and etc.  However, just what is the Democrats' composition?

This is from a different board.  Is it an apt characterization?  Is the current Democratic Party "the McGovern coalition?"

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:36:30 AM »

Social liberals, academics, and poors.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 12:48:52 AM »

What about racial minorities?  Blacks and Hispanics (and Native Americans on a regional level) make up important parts of the Democratic coalition and I don't think they really fall into any of the above mentioned categories.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 02:24:52 AM »

What about racial minorities?  Blacks and Hispanics (and Native Americans on a regional level) make up important parts of the Democratic coalition and I don't think they really fall into any of the above mentioned categories.

They're poors.  Though you have a point, they vote Democratic more reliably than the more easily deluded white poors.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 04:34:57 AM »

They're poors.  Though you have a point, they vote Democratic more reliably than the more easily deluded white poors.
I guess they sort of fall under the FDR Democrat label but I have a hard time calling racial minorities FDR Democrats since they weren't really Democrats during the FDR era.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 04:52:58 AM »

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 11:48:26 AM »

Although each group is not uniform, the Democrats do much better among Blacks, Jews, gays, Hispanics, labor, and the irreligious. Interestingly, income has very little correlation to party affiliation once you account for ethnicity.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 11:54:38 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 03:32:36 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2008, 03:38:41 PM by memphis »

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not all black people are poor. There are millions of middle class black people in places like Prince George's County, MD Clayton County GA, or the SE side of Memphis and they are just as Democratic as poor blacks.  It's not all about money.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 08:27:42 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not all black people are poor. There are millions of middle class black people in places like Prince George's County, MD Clayton County GA, or the SE side of Memphis and they are just as Democratic as poor blacks.  It's not all about money.

I just liked his point about poor white people.  They continually vote against their own self-interest.  Which is okay, if you sincerely believe you're voting to make life better for someone else.  But they really believe they are voting their own interest. 

To paraphrase Judge Judy, "someone is peeing on their leg and they're calling it rain".
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 08:36:32 PM »

I would change it to Social Liberals, Academics, poors, Minorites, and Skilled Union Workers.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 11:34:03 AM »

You're forgetting young, college-educated professionals.   These people make up the large bulk of Democratic voters (especially in primaries) in the cities/suburbs in the Northeast and on the West Coast.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 11:37:46 AM »

You're forgetting young, college-educated professionals.   These people make up the large bulk of Democratic voters (especially in primaries) in the cities/suburbs in the Northeast and on the West Coast.
I think Yuppies(WTF, I hate that term), fit under Social Liberals, or Academics.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 11:47:57 AM »

Not in recent Presidential elections.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 11:56:23 AM »

True. I think they still make up the Coalition for the most part. In everything else Skilled Union Workers have voted for the Democrats consistently. We just had terrible campaigns in 2000 and 2004 that just didn't appeal to them.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 03:58:44 PM »

Social Liberals
Jews
Gays
Blacks
Unions
Academics
Ethnic Minorities

I probably missed some, but these are the major ones that come to mind.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 04:03:43 PM »

How many academics do all you people think there are?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 04:05:34 PM »

Enough. About 10% of the country has a Master's degree, and around 4% have a doctorate. That's more of the country than is gay or Jewish.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 04:09:03 PM »

Enough. About 10% of the country has a Master's degree, and around 4% have a doctorate.

I was thinking of academics as being more of a career option than everyone with a Master's degree and above.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 04:09:57 PM »

I think it's more a case that the Republicans tend to be more the party of the establishment, and as the establishment most certainly isn't composed of a fairly large number of Hispanics, blacks, etc, than it's only natural they vote for the Dems.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 04:11:03 PM »

Anyways, I'd say it's social liberals, peaceniks, minorities(particularly the blacks) labor unions, and the pro-business people.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 04:11:27 PM »

Enough. About 10% of the country has a Master's degree, and around 4% have a doctorate.

I was thinking of academics as being more of a career option than everyone with a Master's degree and above.

Well, people with a master's degree and above vote overwhelmingly Democratic, so I think that was what he meant (particularly as it isn't completely covered by the other categories, unless you consider it to overlap with social liberalism, which it might).
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 09:57:15 PM »

Enough. About 10% of the country has a Master's degree, and around 4% have a doctorate. That's more of the country than is gay or Jewish.

Really?  I would have figured at least 5% of the country is gay or lesbian.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 10:00:20 PM »

Really?  I would have figured at least 5% of the country is gay or lesbian.

From my experience, no more than 5%, probably closer to 3% or 4%. 10% is the estimate form the Kinsey study often cited by gay rights activists, but they're mostly putting on a show, much as those who place the figure at less than 1% are.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 10:22:25 PM »

Unskilled Union Workers don't vote Democrat?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies