He Could Care Less About Obama's Story (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:48:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  He Could Care Less About Obama's Story (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: He Could Care Less About Obama's Story  (Read 1011 times)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« on: February 14, 2008, 04:52:56 AM »

It's not idiomatic English; it's just flat-out wrong English stemming from people saying something without really thinking about it.  It's akin to "could of" instead of "could have".

Sorry to let you know, Gabu, but, within 50 years, that'll probably be widely used and perhaps nearly accepted outside of formal writing.

In other words, damn you for beating me to posting that pic. Wink
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 04:58:39 AM »

It's not idiomatic English; it's just flat-out wrong English stemming from people saying something without really thinking about it.  It's akin to "could of" instead of "could have".

Sorry to let you know, Gabu, but, within 50 years, that'll probably be widely used and perhaps nearly accepted outside of formal writing.

In other words, damn you for beating me to posting that pic. Wink

Over my cold, dead, pedantic body. Tongue

This prescriptivist vs. descriptivist linguistic thread hijack brought to you by...
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 05:05:38 AM »

No, it's not wrong, it's sarcastic: when people say it, they mean the opposite.  You can tell from the intonation with which it is usually said.  Now I'm just repeating myself.

This isn't a prescriptivist v. descriptivist argument.  I'm as much a prescriptivist as pretty much anyone else here.  But it's a pet peeve of mine when the public is declared wrong just because it's more clever than people give it credit for.

That'd be nice, if it were true.  But people aren't being sarcastic when they use it (95% of the time).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies