He Could Care Less About Obama's Story (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:26:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  He Could Care Less About Obama's Story (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: He Could Care Less About Obama's Story  (Read 1008 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: February 14, 2008, 03:56:11 AM »

Oh good, I am glad to hear that he cares about Obama's story.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 04:25:09 AM »

Your title is misleading.

To say that one *could* care less implies that there is a level of disinterest that has yet to be reached. What you meant, surely, is the he *couldn't* care less, implying that there was no way that his regard for the matter could stoop any lower.

Speak good english, dammit.

"Could care less" is not incorrect, it's sarcastic.  This is clear from its intonation: to mean that you are actually able to care less, you would emphasize only the word 'less', but the idiom is usually emphasized more strongly on 'care' with a secondary emphasis on 'less'.  "Couldn't care less," on the other hand, is not an English idiom except among the hypercorrect.

Speak idiomatic English, dammit.

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 04:47:19 AM »

It's not idiomatic English; it's just flat-out wrong English stemming from people saying something without really thinking about it.  It's akin to "could of" instead of "could have".
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 04:56:20 AM »

It's not idiomatic English; it's just flat-out wrong English stemming from people saying something without really thinking about it.  It's akin to "could of" instead of "could have".

Sorry to let you know, Gabu, but, within 50 years, that'll probably be widely used and perhaps nearly accepted outside of formal writing.

In other words, damn you for beating me to posting that pic. Wink

Over my cold, dead, pedantic body. Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 04:59:47 AM »

Sorry to let you know, Gabu, but, within 50 years, that'll probably be widely used and perhaps nearly accepted outside of formal writing.

In other words, damn you for beating me to posting that pic. Wink

Over my cold, dead, pedantic body. Tongue

This prescriptivist vs. descriptivist linguistic thread hijack brought to you by...

Pff, the question over whether or not "could care less" should be tolerated is infinitely more interesting than what some guy from Iran has to say.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 05:09:15 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2008, 05:14:06 AM by Gabu »

No, it's not wrong, it's sarcastic: when people say it, they mean the opposite.  You can tell from the intonation with which it is usually said.  Now I'm just repeating myself.

This isn't a prescriptivist v. descriptivist argument.  I'm as much a prescriptivist as pretty much anyone else here.  But it's a pet peeve of mine when the public is declared wrong just because it's more clever than people give it credit for.

I have heard many people say "I could care less".  There is generally no sarcasm or specific intonation whatsoever.  They say "I could care less" with the identical intonation that you would give the statement "I couldn't care less", indicating that what they meant was the latter.  The intonation is different from someone actually intending to say that they could care less, yes, but that's because what they meant to say was "couldn't care less", not because they're being clever and secretly sarcastic.

It is not a clever idiomatic use of language; it is just repeating incorrect English without thinking about it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies