Holy ****, at least 2 students shot at Northern Illinois University.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:56:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Holy ****, at least 2 students shot at Northern Illinois University.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Holy ****, at least 2 students shot at Northern Illinois University.  (Read 7772 times)
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2008, 05:17:21 PM »
« edited: February 14, 2008, 05:19:51 PM by Aizen »

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/14/university.shooting/index.html

Uhh... serious topic. I have a friend that goes there. I hope she's okay.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 05:19:07 PM »

What is this, the third major school shooting in the last 12 months?  Something is seriously wrong, here.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 05:21:05 PM »

Thankfully, the situation is over, reports CNN. The shooter is dead.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 06:06:30 PM »

AP is reporting at least 4 with head wounds, no word on condition of victims.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 09:20:50 PM »

*sigh* People like this have something obviously wrong with them.

Still, how long until Jack Thompson and those like him start scapegoating their pet issues for being at fault for this tragedy?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »

The news is now saying 5 students have died.  Nothing mentioned about why the shooter did this though.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 10:40:28 PM »

Wonder if this will shift the political median to the authoritarian side on gun control.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 11:13:21 PM »

I have been on the faculty for over 20 years at NIU. I was not on campus today, but I know the school and this will affect the institution deeply. My heart goes out to the students, families, and my colleagues.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 11:18:28 PM »

I have been on the faculty for over 20 years at NIU. I was not on campus today, but I know the school and this will affect the institution deeply. My heart goes out to the students, families, and my colleagues.

So sorry to hear this; both generally and your personal loss.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 11:20:06 PM »

I thought about you when I heard this on the radio.

My condolences.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 11:25:41 PM »

My condolences, muon2.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 11:26:31 PM »

Heart goes out to the N Illinois community and all of those and their families affected by this tragedy.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 04:43:09 AM »

My condolences to muon, the students and anybody else who attends NUI who is reading this or anybody connected to the shootings whatsoever.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 05:07:03 AM »

What is this, the third major school shooting in the last 12 months?  Something is seriously wrong, here.

Copycat cases.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 05:08:36 AM »

I'm sorry about that.  I hate to put it like this, but I hope all your friends came out alright.  Aizen's too.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 11:29:07 AM »

6 dead.

5 shootings at schools and universities in the US in the last week, and yet there STILL hasn't been a gun ban?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/killer-gun-rampage-at-us-university/2008/02/15/1202760538112.html

Honestly, its like the whole country is blind or something...
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 11:32:40 AM »

Besides being unconstitutional, a gun ban is not a magic pill that will cure all our gun related problems.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 11:53:02 AM »

Besides being unconstitutional, a gun ban is not a magic pill that will cure all our gun related problems.

No, but it IS something.

Anyway, my sympathies to all the students and staff of NIU affected by this horrid event.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 11:54:47 AM »

No, but it IS something.

But how would you propose to implement it. The US has MILLIONS of guns - how do you propose to get them out of the hands of the people? Especially the "you can take my guns from my cold, dead hands" type of people?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 11:57:04 AM »

Dibble is right, it is only one part of the solution.  The main problem is the illness of the society, which is based almost entirely on a penal (violent) model.  Individuals are basically abused and threatened their entire lives, and offered nothing in the way of social services, security, or hope.  It can be no surprise that some of these working class victims lash out randomly with a gun.  Those to blame are of course the owning class.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 12:01:31 PM »

I'd ban the production of more guns, except those to be used by police and the military, with maybe a couple of other exceptions as needed. Then, ban the importation; and then, institute a buyback.

There would still be guns, and it is a long term policy, but at the least there would not be an increase in gun ownership-which eventually would be illegalised too.

anyway, no more politics in here.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 12:04:25 PM »

Copycat cases.

Bingo. Instead of just jumping off a bridge like back in the day, they know they can take ten people with them and have cable news obsessing about it for two weeks.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 01:04:48 PM »

No, but it IS something.

Anyway, my sympathies to all the students and staff of NIU affected by this horrid event.

My heart goes out to all involved as well.   But this gun ban stuff is nonsense.  Do you remember why the Long Island railroad shooter picked the Long Island railroad?  No guns.  He would have never tried it in Texas.  Schools are gun-free and sadly easy targets for whackos.

Let's ban whackos not guns.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 01:22:31 PM »

We now know who did this - looks to have been a graduate student who might have been off his meds.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4296984

Who Was the Illinois School Shooter?
Stephen Kazmierscak, 27, Killer of 5 Students, Had 'Become Erratic' Off Meds
By EMILY FRIEDMAN
Feb. 15, 2008

Stephen Kazmierczak, the 27-year-old who opened fire on a crowded Northern Illinois University lecture hall, killing five and then himself Thursday, was described as "fairly normal" and an "unstressed person" by NIU campus Police Chief Donald Grady.

But in the last few weeks his behavior had become erratic, according to Grady, and it is believed the Kazmierczak had stopped taking his medication. The chief declined to specify the type of medication the gunman was on.

Kazmierczak had served as a member of the NIU Academic Criminal Justice Association, was a teaching aid during his undergraduate years and in 2006 even received a Dean's Award from the sociology department.

In 2006 Kazmierczak was a co-author of an essay entitled "Self-Injury in Correctional Settings: 'Pathology' of Prisons or of Prisoners," in which an attached biography describes him as having just begun his graduate work at NIU.

Kazmierczak's interests are listed as corrections, political violence, and peace and social justice, according to the essay, and he had plans to co-author a manuscript on the role of religion in the formation of early prisons.

In another biography, apparently written by Kazmierczak for the Academic Criminal Justice Association's Web site, he pledged his commitment to social justice and his academic work.

"I've worked very hard as a student," the entry reads.

Kazmierczak worked as the Pirates Cove Childrens Theme Park in his hometown in 1995, according to the park's director. He had an acceptable employee record.

On a music site message board from 2006, posters who claimed to be his coworkers wrote, "I remember Steve Kazmierczak… the kind of person who injured kids on the train ride cuz he was mental and he shouldn't be given domain over kids on little faux-traincars with an aluminum baseball bat…"

Originally from Champaign, Ill., Kazmierczak had been a student at NIU in the spring of 2007, where he had majored in sociology. He had been studying at the University of Illinois - Campaign most recently, according to NIU school officials.

Grady said that those who knew him "revered him as an outstanding student" and had no inclination that Kazmierczak was capable of such carnage.

But law enforcement authorities told ABC News that Kazmierczak had likely planned the assault on the school for at least five days — he had bought most of his arsenal, including a 12-gauge shotgun, .22-caliber pistol and a 9 mm pistol, at a gun store in Champaign, Saturday.

Another .45-caliber Glock semi-automatic handgun that was found on the scene has also been linked to him. He brought some of the weapons to campus in a guitar case, police said, and hid others underneath his jacket.

At approximately 3:15 p.m. Thursday, Kazmierczak -- dressed in black and armed with three handguns and a shotgun -- entered an introductory geology class and opened fire.

While students ran for cover and hid under their desks, Kazmierczak wounded 16 people, killed five others and then himself.

"The assailant began firing into the assembled class from the stage — from the front," NIU President John Peters told ABC News.

"It didn't seem like he was aiming. He just raised a gun and shot immediately," said Paul Sundstrom, a student who was sitting in the class with his brother Kevin when the gunman opened fire.

With additional reporting by Marcus Baram.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2008, 01:31:49 PM »

Unfortunately for the gun-grabbers Illinois has got pretty opressive gun laws, so they can't take advangate of this tragedy for their own political ends like they did with NOVA.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies