McCain Sets Criteria For His VP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:35:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain Sets Criteria For His VP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McCain Sets Criteria For His VP  (Read 11728 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2008, 12:41:09 AM »

On Larry King Live, Feb 14, when asked about the Vice Presidential nomination, McCain replied that the most important qualification for his Vice President will be the one who is most qualified to take his place as President.

Sounds like Romney to me.

Thoughts on McCain's comments?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 12:48:28 AM »

On Larry King Live, Feb 14, when asked about the Vice Presidential nomination, McCain replied that the most important qualification for his Vice President will be the one who is most qualified to take his place as President.

Sounds like Romney he's not going to pick Romney to me.

Fixed.

John McCain hates Romney. No chance in hell
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 12:49:47 AM »

Whenever someone mentions the "best" or "most qualified" or any other positive superlative, no one but you, Ann, and Mitt think of Mitt.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 12:55:45 AM »

Mitt Romney would never play second fiddle to anybody. Even his new best buddy Senator John McCain. I'm still going with Mark Sanford.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 01:19:36 AM »

I think he'll pick Tim Pawlenty.  He needs a Governor on the ticket.

Hopefully the Republican party leaders don't try to force Mike Huckabee or some crap VP like that to "win votes in South."
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 02:21:14 AM »

Sorry I missed the interview - was he any more specific that that?

I think for someone to be ready to take over the presidency, that person has to be trustworthy in the eyes of the public. Unfortunately, Romney hurt his reputation in that regard during his campaign.
politicaltipster
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 04:46:15 AM »

Could it be the one person who has:

- 20 yrs experience in the Senate
- Executive experience as CT's AG
- Impeccable foreign policy credentials
- Proven record of bringing together conservative Democrats and moderate Republicans together

I wonder who that could be? hmm.......
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 05:11:34 AM »

Ah, I expected him to say "whoever wins me the most votes" and...no, wait, that's right, this is what EVERY presidential candidate ALWAYS says.

This means nothing.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 09:33:36 AM »

There is no hint in McCain's comment that gives anyone a clue as to who he is looking at. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 09:43:53 AM »

He sure as hell wasn't talking about Romney or Pawlenty (no one knows him anyway).
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 10:58:43 AM »

Exactly as I have said for a long time. It will be Rudy Giuliani.

He hates Romney. It was clear the two were not thrilled to be with each other yesterday. I can't see them running on the same ticket. McCain doesn't believe that Romney should be President either.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 05:37:15 PM »

Mitt Romney would never play second fiddle to anybody. Even his new best buddy Senator John McCain. I'm still going with Mark Sanford.

Lord I hope not.  Not because I think Sanford would be a bad Vice President.  It's because I think he has a lousy Lieutenant Governor.  If McCain picks Sanford to be his running mate, I'm voting Democratic in November, as I absolutely, positively loathe the idea of a Governor Andre Bauer.
Thereisnospoon
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 06:31:28 PM »

Exactly as I have said for a long time. It will be Rudy Giuliani.

Seems strange that he would pick a socially liberal Republican when he's having enough trouble courting conservatives. Yes, they do see eye-to-eye on foreign policy and both of them are good friends (from what I know), but strategically it wouldn't give McCain very much. It's not like picking Giuliani would suddenly give him New York, either.

McCain will pick a safe, conservative candidate to help balance out the ticket.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 08:23:48 PM »

>>>> the one who is most qualified to take his place as President <<<<

I sincerely doubt Al Gore would accept the invitation to join the Republican ticket.  ;-)

But seriously -- if McCain really wants to name a Republican VP who is most qualified to be President, he wouldn't choose Sanford or Pawlenty or Pence or for godsakes Mr. Noun+Verb+9/11.

If the only criteria is qualification to be President -- ie, experience and proven skill in matters foreign and domestic -- he will choose Richard Lugar or John Warner, among sitting Senators.  Or he'd go off the map and choose Warren Rudman, John Danforth or Bill Cohen.  Perhaps Colin Powell.  I know.  Most of them are "too old", especially on a ticket with McCain.  Aside from Lugar, most are too centrist to be on a ticket with McCain.

But McCain's comment was that he wanted the most qualified, prepared Republican. 

Sanford, Pence and Pawlenty could certainly develop.  Most V-Ps learn the job, like most Presidents do. 

But choosing the best person for the job isn't the only criterion.  It never is.  He'll consider electability.  Appeal to the party base.  Experience in both legislating and governing. Potential scandals and skeletons. Likability.  Health. All of it. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 08:33:27 PM »

If the only criteria is qualification to be President -- ie, experience and proven skill in matters foreign and domestic -- he will choose Richard Lugar or John Warner, among sitting Senators.  Or he'd go off the map and choose Warren Rudman, John Danforth or Bill Cohen.  Perhaps Colin Powell.  I know.  Most of them are "too old", especially on a ticket with McCain.  Aside from Lugar, most are too centrist to be on a ticket with McCain.

Yes. I hope very much that he chooses another old man as his running mate. A retired old man would be even better.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 08:37:12 PM »

I'd be willing to bet right now that Kay Bailey Hutchison will be McCain's VP candidate.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 08:38:45 PM »

I'd be willing to bet right now that Kay Bailey Hutchison will be McCain's VP candidate.

Hmmm.... you know that would actually be a pretty decent pick.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 09:24:13 PM »

It really would be a good pick and a ticket I might have to reconsider my confirmed-Democratic vote.

I know this is a long shot and hasn't even been mentioned, yet, and probably for good reason, but what about Gov. Matt Blunt of Missouri or Fmr. Gov. Frank Keating of Oklahoma as possibilities?  Blunt is leaving the Missouri State Capitol in January 2009, so it wouldn't interfere with his current duties too much as he would make a nice transition into the Vice Presidential job.  Keating was a pretty good, conservative, governor for Oklahoma.  He was a popular governor during his 8-years (not as popular as Brad Henry, but still popular).  He knows how to handle terrorism (see April 19, 1995 and the Oklahoma City Bombing).

He needs a governor to balance out the ticket, but a Senator wouldn't be too bad, either as the VP is the President of the Senate.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 09:37:19 PM »

It really would be a good pick and a ticket I might have to reconsider my confirmed-Democratic vote.

I know this is a long shot and hasn't even been mentioned, yet, and probably for good reason, but what about Gov. Matt Blunt of Missouri or Fmr. Gov. Frank Keating of Oklahoma as possibilities?  Blunt is leaving the Missouri State Capitol in January 2009, so it wouldn't interfere with his current duties too much as he would make a nice transition into the Vice Presidential job.  Keating was a pretty good, conservative, governor for Oklahoma.  He was a popular governor during his 8-years (not as popular as Brad Henry, but still popular).  He knows how to handle terrorism (see April 19, 1995 and the Oklahoma City Bombing).

He needs a governor to balance out the ticket, but a Senator wouldn't be too bad, either as the VP is the President of the Senate.

I don't know enough about either one, frankly.  I suppose either would be well-liked among social and economic conservatives, so it might make sense.  If they're significantly younger than McCain, that would help balance the ticket as well.  I do remember that when Keating said he was considering a Presidential bid, a lot of people here groaned.  I mean, Republicans.  But that could be just because we already had Jim Gilmore, Duncan Hunter, Tommy Thompson and Tom Tancredo in the race.  I dunno.

My gut still says Sanford - Pence - Pawlenty in that order.  I droped Owens after a couple of you tipped me off about his tax increases.  And Pawlenty is only on the list because I know McCain values loyalty.  Not because I deludedly believe Pawlenty would deliver a single state. 
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 11:54:24 PM »

Lord I hope not.  Not because I think Sanford would be a bad Vice President.  It's because I think he has a lousy Lieutenant Governor.  If McCain picks Sanford to be his running mate, I'm voting Democratic in November, as I absolutely, positively loathe the idea of a Governor Andre Bauer.

HAHA. It would be great to have that drunkard in the Governor's Mansion.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 11:54:17 AM »

sorry for bumping, but funny for more than one reason Smiley
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 07:02:52 PM »

sorry for bumping, but funny for more than one reason Smiley

Well, the speculation is perfectly sane (for the most part), it was the pick which was an epic fail.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 07:09:30 PM »

I was more focused on McCain's statement he would pick the most qualified candidate to take his place as President. Wink
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 01:03:09 AM »

This is really hilarious.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies