WI PrimD: Public Policy Polling: Obama leads Clinton by 13%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:22:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  WI PrimD: Public Policy Polling: Obama leads Clinton by 13%
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WI PrimD: Public Policy Polling: Obama leads Clinton by 13%  (Read 1390 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2008, 01:08:07 PM »
« edited: February 18, 2008, 01:16:16 PM by TheresNoMoney »

2/16-2/17, 822 Likely Voters, +/-3.4% MOE

Obama    53%
Clinton    40%

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Wisconsin_Release_021808.pdf
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 01:15:01 PM »

Would be nice.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 01:32:55 PM »

not much movement from the last PPP poll.  they've been more favorable to Obama than other pollsters, perhaps due to a different turnout model (read the pdf - it said that with a 'standard turnout model' Obama is only +3)
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 01:50:33 PM »

I only trust ARG.
And 13% seems a bit too much.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 01:59:40 PM »

I'm sorry, I know those words, but somehow, putting them together...it just doesn't make sense.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 02:25:01 PM »

I'm sorry, I know those words, but somehow, putting them together...it just doesn't make sense.

I never heard those words in that order. Like Compassionate and Conservative.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 04:18:01 PM »

Their internals appear contradictory. If they are weighted in the crosstabs, as they seem to be, then, yes, they have a high percentage of African Americans weighted. But these numbers appear to suggest that PPP expects only 20% independent turnout in the Dem Primary... in 2004, it was like 30-35%... wouldn't that mean that their baseline is still underweighting a key Obama demo?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 04:47:40 PM »

Their internals appear contradictory. If they are weighted in the crosstabs, as they seem to be, then, yes, they have a high percentage of African Americans weighted. But these numbers appear to suggest that PPP expects only 20% independent turnout in the Dem Primary... in 2004, it was like 30-35%... wouldn't that mean that their baseline is still underweighting a key Obama demo?

Maybe; 2004 was not competitive, however, so comparing the two is not the greatest strategy. I'd also like to know whether Wisconsin is like New Jersey in the state being overwhelmingly registered independent.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 04:53:07 PM »

I'd also like to know whether Wisconsin is like New Jersey in the state being overwhelmingly registered independent.

There is no party registration in Wisconsin.

Also, 2004 wasn't quite "not competitive".  Dean and Edwards were still in the race (though they were kind of walking dead men....not quite as out of it as Huckabee is now).  Both of them invested a lot into WI as a sort of last stand.  (Wasn't quite the last stand for Edwards.)  The 2004 WI primary result was:

Kerry 40%
Edwards 34%
Dean 18%
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 05:02:16 PM »

Maybe; 2004 was not competitive, however, so comparing the two is not the greatest strategy. I'd also like to know whether Wisconsin is like New Jersey in the state being overwhelmingly registered independent.

Well, I disagree that 2004 was not competitive, Edwards came in close to Kerry, but I see your point.  What I wonder is if independents will overwhelmingly go to the Dem Primary because the Rep primary is settled. Our indies tend to vote at high rates, we are a high turnout state. I think that this, combined with ground teams, may be the dagger in the Hillary attempt here

PS saw Michelle Obama today... she is the epitome of class. More of her please, she is AMAZING
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 06:26:18 PM »

I'd also like to know whether Wisconsin is like New Jersey in the state being overwhelmingly registered independent.

There is no party registration in Wisconsin.

Also, 2004 wasn't quite "not competitive".  Dean and Edwards were still in the race (though they were kind of walking dead men....not quite as out of it as Huckabee is now).  Both of them invested a lot into WI as a sort of last stand.  (Wasn't quite the last stand for Edwards.)  The 2004 WI primary result was:

Kerry 40%
Edwards 34%
Dean 18%

I remember 2004 in Wisconsin as being competitive long after it should have been, or something like that. Also, there was no republican primary (though the Republican race this year is basically over, but not everyone has gotten the memo)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 07:26:36 PM »

Obviously, the independents are likely to be fewer than they were in 2004 given that no matter how uncompetitive one thinks the GOP primary is it was certainly moreso 4 years ago. Wisconsin was Dean's last stand and it was also Edward's best performance in the later part of the primary campaign (aside from NC of course).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 07:34:28 PM »

Wisconsin's about 6% black, so in a 50/50 state they'd make up about 12% of Democratic voters, as they have here. But the independents and cross-over Republicans will affect that, so it's probably closer to 9-10%. Still should be higher than 2004 though, unless something like Virginia happens (loads of new white voters vote and the black vote is unchanged, resulting in a slight drop in percentage, but that certainly didn't hurt Obama in Virginia.)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 01:02:14 AM »

These guys know what they're doing apparently.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 01:04:21 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies