Will Nader run? will it matter?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:32:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Nader run? will it matter?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Will Nader run? will it matter?  (Read 4830 times)
California Dreamer

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2004, 09:10:18 PM »

Ralph Nader has an exploratory committee that is asking for volunteers and contributions (even though the Green Party is holding primaries without him being a choice)

He has also added his name to a lawsuit filed today to decertify the Commission on Presidential Debates in an effort to get 3rd parties into the debates Read here

So will Nader do it again? and do you think it wil make a difference (eg: allow a candidate to win with less than 50% of the vote?)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 12:42:15 AM »

Bush can win with a minority of the popular vote again even without Nader.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 03:45:04 PM »

I think Nader will run again but not have the impact he had in 2000.  Many of his supporters are going 'Anybody but Bush' and won't vote for him, and, he will run as an independent, so his ballot status in some states will be in question.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 03:46:00 PM »

CAN, but probably won't, it seldom happens.
jravnsbo

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 04:06:54 PM »

I think Nader will run, but not sure if he will have an impact.
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 04:13:29 PM »

However, given the bias of the electoral college towards low population states, and that these states are Bush's electoral strength, it is no freak of nature that a minority PV president was elected in 2000, and could easily happen again in 2004.

As discussed elsewhere, Bush won with only 47.87% of the PV. If he gained even 0.82% of the total vote, it would offset the combined Gore/Nader 2000 margin in FL and, all else held constant, re-elect him, even though he would trail the Dems in the PV 50.3% to 48.7%

If, as frequently suggested here, FL has become more conservative, he could conceivably pull out a win with even less of the PV.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004, 06:24:39 PM »

However, given the bias of the electoral college towards low population states, and that these states are Bush's electoral strength, it is no freak of nature that a minority PV president was elected in 2000, and could easily happen again in 2004.

As discussed elsewhere, Bush won with only 47.87% of the PV. If he gained even 0.82% of the total vote, it would offset the combined Gore/Nader 2000 margin in FL and, all else held constant, re-elect him, even though he would trail the Dems in the PV 50.3% to 48.7%

If, as frequently suggested here, FL has become more conservative, he could conceivably pull out a win with even less of the PV.

My point is that despite fact that the American system definitely makes it likely it tends not to happen. There has been a lot of really close elections throughout history, and only on 2 occasions have a candidate won with a minority of the votes (Harrison in 1888 and Bush in 2000), not counting 1876, since that was due to fraud, otherwise Tilden would've won.
NHPolitico

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2004, 01:09:05 PM »

Nader expected to launch new bid for White House

Star Telegram
By Maria Recio
Knight Ridder

WASHINGTON - Oops, Ralph Nader's doing it again.

Almost exactly four years after he announced he would run for president, the former Green Party candidate is poised to declare that he is running again this year, this time as an independent.

Despite a vigorous effort on the part of the left to keep Nader from running and despite his insistence that he's still mulling over his decision, friends, associates and insiders say he is determined to run again.

"I think there's very little doubt," said Micah Sifry, the author of a book on third-party politics and a longtime Nader watcher. "I think he's going to run."

Nader has twice delayed saying whether he would be a candidate, but with the anniversary of his Feb. 21, 2000, announcement coming up, insiders expect the latest declaration next week.

Sifry is part of the campaign to stop Nader from running, which went into high gear last month with an open letter to him in The Nation, a liberal magazine that has been associated with him for 30 years. The letter, signed by the editors, urged him not to run. Nader contributors from 2000, such as Ben Cohen, a co-founder of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, also are organizing "No, Ralph, No" efforts.

At the heart of the anti-Nader effort is the determination to defeat President Bush and the belief that Nader, blamed for tilting the close 2000 election to Bush by siphoning off votes from opponent Al Gore, especially in Florida, could once again play the "spoiler" role.

"The stakes are too high," said Katrina vanden Heuvel, the editor of The Nation. "We feel Bush's defeat is critical."

"We have an extremist administration which misled the nation into war and is undermining democracy," she said in an interview. Referring to Nader's dismissal of his Republican and Democratic opponents in 2000, she said, "It's no longer Bush and Bush Light."

Nader, a citizen activist who has always had a stubborn, contrarian streak, is equally determined to exercise his right to run and to make issues such as anti-corporate power and universal health care central campaign themes.

A spokeswoman for Nader's exploratory campaign, Linda Shade, said, "Nader is in the final stages of making a decision."

Nader, in an interview Feb. 4 on National Public Radio, responded with irritation to the effort to stop him: "It's a marvelous demonstration by liberals, if you will, of censorship. Now mind you, running for political office is every American's right. Running for political office means free-speech exercise; it means exercising the right of petition, the right of assembly. ... To say `Do not run' to anybody is to say, `Do not speak. Do not petition. Do not assemble. Remain silent.' That's just unacceptable, especially coming from people like the editors of The Nation."

Nader is polling volunteers from the 2000 campaign via email asking whether he should run, but his exploratory committee already is examining state ballot-access requirements.

According to Richard Winger of the newsletter Ballot Access News, Nader asked him about the difficulties of getting on ballots as an independent. "It's not as hard as people think," said Winger, who estimates that hiring firms to get the necessary 600,000 signatures nationwide would cost about $1.8 million.

Nader backed out of running as a Green Party candidate in December, largely because the party won't determine what kind of presidential campaign it will run until its June convention in Milwaukee. "That would be too late," he said last year.

The question now is whether Nader, who spent about $8 million on his campaign in 2000, can raise the money and attract supporters to make a difference in the election. So far, donors and activists from 2000 have been scarce, with a proliferation of Web sites such as http://www.repentantnadervoter.com/ urging him not to run and high-profile supporters such as Cohen and filmmaker Michael Moore working against a Nader repeat.

Some Nader advocates had an epiphany after the 2000 election when the outcome was decided by Florida. Bush won the state by 537 votes, defeating Democratic nominee Gore. Democrats say Gore would have won with a small fraction of Nader's voters, who gave Nader 97,488 votes in the state. Nader also arguably cost Gore New Hampshire, where Bush won by 7,211 votes. Nader received 22,198 votes in the Granite State.

Nader always has rejected the spoiler label. "It is not my job to elect my opponents," he has said. And he has some die-hard supporters, even among Greens. "There's an effort among a lot of Greens nationwide to get Nader to run," said Jerry Kann, a New York-based Green Party member. "He's the best spokesperson for our values."

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2004, 02:10:04 PM »

I'd say its not only conceivable, its fairly likely.  As you said the electoral situations favors it, and Florida has drifted right.  Polarization - ideological, regional, and cultural - makes bigger percentage wins for Kerry in Dem states likely while not necessarily greatly increasing Bush's percentage in Republican bastions.  Net result - if he can hold FL and OH, he wins with even less than 47.8%.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2004, 02:21:31 PM »

I'd say its not only conceivable, its fairly likely.  As you said the electoral situations favors it, and Florida has drifted right.  Polarization - ideological, regional, and cultural - makes bigger percentage wins for Kerry in Dem states likely while not necessarily greatly increasing Bush's percentage in Republican bastions.  Net result - if he can hold FL and OH, he wins with even less than 47.8%.

It often seems likely, but for some reason still seldom happens. I think it'll be the same this time, I doubt Bush will have the fluke of winning with 0.005% in a key state again...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2004, 02:28:54 PM »

It often seems likely, but for some reason still seldom happens. I think it'll be the same this time, I doubt Bush will have the fluke of winning with 0.005% in a key state again...

Oh I agree that its unlikely any state will be quite as close as FL again, though we could have some like NM, IA, OR.  I just mean that the national popular vote percentage Bush gets may be lower and yet a win.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2004, 03:06:24 PM »

Oh I agree that its unlikely any state will be quite as close as FL again, though we could have some like NM, IA, OR.  I just mean that the national popular vote percentage Bush gets may be lower and yet a win.

Yes, it could happen. But I somehow don't think it will, usually the EC gives a clear win for one side, and that side is usually the PV winner, if for nothing else, the fact that they get a media boost and the bandwagon effect.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2004, 06:56:42 PM »

The cultural divide is such that the red states seem solid red and the blue states solid blue.  It would take a really huge issue to move any of these states away from where their centers of gravity take them on social issues.  Only a handful of states are moveable from where they came down in 2000.

NH, Ohio, W Virginia on the Rep side might be in play.  I don't think Florida this time.

Wisconsin, Iowa, New Mexico, with Oregon and Pa. outide possibilities from the other side.

That's it.  Bush is not going to crack California or Illinois and Kerry isn't going to take an Arkansas or Indiana.  The two sides are almost set in stone.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2004, 07:02:18 PM »

The cultural divide is such that the red states seem solid red and the blue states solid blue.  It would take a really huge issue to move any of these states away from where their centers of gravity take them on social issues.  Only a handful of states are moveable from where they came down in 2000.

NH, Ohio, W Virginia on the Rep side might be in play.  I don't think Florida this time.

Wisconsin, Iowa, New Mexico, with Oregon and Pa. outide possibilities from the other side.

That's it.  Bush is not going to crack California or Illinois and Kerry isn't going to take an Arkansas or Indiana.  The two sides are almost set in stone.

You never know...there can always be a surprise state. Overall, I agree though. But I think it depends on what strategy kerry chooses. If goes for the South-West I think AZ, NV and CO would be in play, or whatever. Bush would have the advantage, but I think these are possible pickups for the Dems. The other GOP states seem lost right now though.
MarkDel

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2004, 08:39:35 PM »

I would be very surprised if Nader ran again.  I think the pressure on him from left wingers not to run will be too great. If he does run, Bush will win a second term with EASE, but I don't believe Nader would do it again.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2004, 08:41:21 PM »

I would be very surprised if Nader ran again.  I think the pressure on him from left wingers not to run will be too great. If he does run, Bush will win a second term with EASE, but I don't believe Nader would do it again.
Roy Moore would more than cancel out Nader.

I actually think if the Greens nominate someone that nobody ever heard of, the nobody would get more votes than Nader would have.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2004, 08:42:19 PM »

Nobody has actually won a majority of the popular vote in a presidential election since George H.W. Bush beat Michael Dukakis in 1988.  Interesting factoid, I think.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2004, 08:44:01 PM »

Yep, three straight elections with under 50%.  It's shows the closely divided nation we've got on our hands...the center-rights and the rights.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2004, 07:34:32 AM »

Actually it's because there was a strong 3rd party candidate in 1992 and 1996.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2004, 09:48:04 AM »

Actually it's because there was a strong 3rd party candidate in 1992 and 1996.
Not really the case in 2000 though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2004, 10:21:58 AM »

That's because 2000 was extremly close
Esteban Manuel
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2004, 11:55:30 AM »

I don't think that Nader can be an important factor in November, cause the "key" states that are "tos" and the democrats can win (Nevada, N.M, Tennesse...) are states with a historical trend of republican vote and in wich the greens are very weak ... under the current circunstances i think that this little percentage of votes will vote "anyone but Bush".

Maybe Nader will run but is less probable that this really matters.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2004, 02:29:00 PM »

Firstly it looks like he’ll run “Politics 1” and “The Hedgehog Report” are both saying that it looks that way…

But he’s running as an independent and as such he’ll have to get his name on the ballots in other states by himself this time… without a firm organisation he seems doomed most Nader supporters are the liberal voters most angry with the Bush administration and while I am sure a few will plum for Nader again must will be solidly “ABB”… I would strongly doubt that Nader will get on the ballot in many states, raise much money or do even half as well as he did in 2000… the guy just seems to me to be a complete egotist… But then again I am a Dem and from my point of view he cost us the election…
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2004, 05:05:09 AM »

Firstly it looks like he’ll run “Politics 1” and “The Hedgehog Report” are both saying that it looks that way…

But he’s running as an independent and as such he’ll have to get his name on the ballots in other states by himself this time… without a firm organisation he seems doomed most Nader supporters are the liberal voters most angry with the Bush administration and while I am sure a few will plum for Nader again must will be solidly “ABB”… I would strongly doubt that Nader will get on the ballot in many states, raise much money or do even half as well as he did in 2000… the guy just seems to me to be a complete egotist… But then again I am a Dem and from my point of view he cost us the election…

Perhaps he's a Republican shill?  You know he's a millionaire.. a bit suspicious.
emergingDmajority1
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2004, 01:56:52 PM »

reports are coming out that nader is close to announcing his candidacy as an independent. But one he sees people react with a groan and a yawn, Ralph will abandon his bid before the election. He won't stick it out.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies