Should people stop adding ARG's "polls" to the site?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:57:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  Should people stop adding ARG's "polls" to the site?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should people stop adding ARG's "polls" to the site?  (Read 2260 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2008, 12:59:25 PM »

Serious question actually. I think it's now quite clear that when ARG is even close to being right it's a fluke. Wasn't there a policy of not adding Zoggy's online polls four years ago or is my memory playing tricks?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 01:01:40 PM »

Serious question actually. I think it's now quite clear that when ARG is even close to being right it's a fluke. Wasn't there a policy of not adding Zoggy's online polls four years ago or is my memory playing tricks?

Create a poll. Wink
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 03:05:07 PM »

I proposed this a month and half or so ago and then someone else did a few weeks ago but no consensus was ever reached.

Let this Texas nonsense be the final straw!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 03:23:58 PM »

Yes. All it will do is throw off the average in texas. While others have Hillary up by 8-19 points, ARG has Obama up by 8.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 03:28:49 PM »

I proposed this a month and half or so ago and then someone else did a few weeks ago but no consensus was ever reached.

It's not that there was no consensus (as I think basically everyone who expressed an opinion agreed with you on this).  It's that no action ever came of it.  Someone in authority has make a decree saying that we won't add ARG polls, and that information has to be posted somewhere.  Until that happens, we'll just keep having these threads in which everyone chimes in with "yes, we agree, we shouldn't add ARG polls to the Atlas", while the ARG polls still get posted.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 03:32:22 PM »

It's not that there was no consensus (as I think basically everyone who expressed an opinion agreed with you on this).  It's that no action ever came of it.  Someone in authority has make a decree saying that we won't add ARG polls, and that information has to be posted somewhere.  Until that happens, we'll just keep having these threads in which everyone chimes in with "yes, we agree, we shouldn't add ARG polls to the Atlas", while the ARG polls still get posted.

Yea, what he said.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 04:51:53 PM »

ARG really is messing up the averages. We need to stop adding them to the database. Doesn't really matter if we discuss them without putting them in the database though...for comical purposes (Although I don't find ARG funny anymore. Pathetic actually)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 04:52:16 PM »

Well, there are quite a few showing Obama with a healthy lead now that we get to the Hillary favored states so about 70% of this forum will want to keep them.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 04:54:59 PM »

Create a poll. Wink
No, commission ARG to do one.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 05:07:17 PM »

Create a poll. Wink
No, commission ARG to do one.

Here are the results of ARG's poll on whether we should add ARG polls to the site:

48% said keep adding ARG polls to the Atlas
29% said stop adding ARG polls to the Atlas
4% said someone else
8% were undecided
11% were unaccounted for, but had to be included to make it add up to 100%

Based on ARG's track record, "stop adding ARG polls to the Atlas" will win.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 07:04:03 PM »

ARG really is messing up the averages. We need to stop adding them to the database. Doesn't really matter if we discuss them without putting them in the database though...for comical purposes (Although I don't find ARG funny anymore. Pathetic actually)

I agree with you. People should be able to post them but they shouldn't be put in the database.
M

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »

Well I lean in favor of agreeing, I'd like to hear why they're bad based on methodology, not just results.
Eleden
oaksmarts

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 03:14:44 PM »

Well I lean in favor of agreeing, I'd like to hear why they're bad based on methodology, not just results.

Each pollster has their own method of who to include in polling results.  Unfortunately for ARG they generally under poll independents or drastically underestimate the turnout of a certain voting bloc.... generally the African Americans. 
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 05:12:07 PM »

Keep ARG !

Just to be sure the others are accurate....
Angel of Death
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 03:47:11 PM »

Keep ARG !

Just to be sure the others are accurate....

No! It shouldn't mess up the averages.
politicaltipster
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 10:13:48 AM »

We should keep ARG since their results are actually comprable with Rasmussen, Zogby, IA and Mason-Dixon. In any case many people use the database on this site to double-check the figures on Real Clear Politics and Pollster.com.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 12:41:10 PM »

I wonder where they get their money from.I mean,does someone actually pay them for their polls?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 12:46:07 PM »

They exclude mobile phones. They don't have a lot of staff for the number of polls they churn out. There's probably more.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies