Gallup: Americans want JFK and Reagan back
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:40:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gallup: Americans want JFK and Reagan back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Gallup: Americans want JFK and Reagan back  (Read 2334 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2008, 11:25:14 AM »

Ecc 7:10  Do not say, "Why were the old days better than these?"  For it is not wise to ask such questions.

Haha, christian advice - 'don't learn from the past'.  But it is unsurprising that a right-winger wouldn't want people asking why things were so much better during america's brief flirtation with liberalism.

it doesn't say don't learn from the past, rather it says to stop living in the past and place your hope in God for a better future.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 04:55:18 PM »

Judging Lincoln racist by contemporary standards is absurd.  Lincoln never even attended one of Strom Thurmond's birthday parties.

No, but Strom Thurmond went to some of Lincoln's Wink
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2008, 04:40:18 PM »

Sad how we haven't had any strong leaders since Kennedy or Reagan.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 03:42:26 PM »

When asked why Americans like JFK, the standard "Ummm, because he was young, the first Catholic President, attractive, killed in office, etc." response was given.

It's seldom that I agree with you, but that is unfortunately true. I think Kennedy was a good president, or rather, he could have been an even better and more effective president, but it's true, lots of people answer these types of questions based soley on name recognition...maybe they think it makes them look smarter...no idea.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 09:56:32 PM »

Well, they won't get it with staid, old and tired John McCain. Neither JFK nor Reagan were staid; though Reagan was old yet quite full of beans. They were optimists. McCain stands for being in Iraq for 100 years. What is more pessimistic than that?

I'm beginning to wonder whether it suits Republicans to prosecute wars slowly so they can argue the case for Republican presidents in perpetuity

I was just the other night hearing Newt Gingrich more or less say that in terms of the passion to enthuse huge crowds Obama is the first presidential candidate to come along in quite the same league as Reagan

Maybe that's my great hope, Obama = the liberal Reagan. Not that I'm particularly liberal because I'm not but I'd like to think he could, potentially, transcend any deep ideological chasm much like the conservative Reagan did before him - and get things done Smiley

1980 was 'change' election, will 2008 be the same?

Dave
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies