OFFICIAL Endorsements Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:48:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  OFFICIAL Endorsements Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29
Author Topic: OFFICIAL Endorsements Thread  (Read 64250 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2008, 09:12:26 AM »

Not exactly influencial, but The Daily Texan of the University of Texas at Austin surprisingly endorsed Clinton:

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticle&ustory_id=8fd2d256-8e07-4410-ada4-472b700786d6&page=2

A student newspaper endorsing Clinton? That's a bit ... strange. How did that happen?

One of their editors is a hardcore feminist?

Doesn't matter though. Newspaper endorsements don't sway people, much less student papers (at least not in major and federal elections, I could see them having an impact for very small local races.)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2008, 10:29:48 AM »

Chris Dodd will be endorsing Barack Obama this morning and will campaign with him in Ohio.

He just endorsed him. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080226/ap_on_el_pr/obama_dodd
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2008, 11:19:07 PM »

Rep. Stephanie Herseth Sandlin (D-SD), one of the few former Edwards superdelegates, has endorsed Obama.  Obama now has the support of 6 out of 8 South Dakota superdelegates (the other two [incl. Sen. Johnson] are still uncommitted).

Additionally, both of DC's 'Shadow Senators' have endorsed Barack Obama:
'Sen.' Paul Strauss: “I am excited to endorse Barack Obama today.  Barack Obama has been a leader for promoting unity and equality for all Americans, and has shown a steadfast commitment to the DC voting rights and full representation in Congress."
'Sen.' Michael Brown: “I wholeheartedly give my endorsement to Senator Barack Obama with the audacious hope that the change he brings to America will include the full restoration of rights to the 600,000 good citizens of the District of Columbia. I proudly stand with my constituents in supporting his candidacy and pledge my assistance to help him win the nomination of our party and become the next President of the United States.”
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2008, 12:53:17 AM »

Rep. Stephanie Herseth Sandlin (D-SD), one of the few former Edwards superdelegates, has endorsed Obama.  Obama now has the support of 6 out of 8 South Dakota superdelegates (the other two [incl. Sen. Johnson] are still uncommitted).

I thought Johnson had endorsed O.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2008, 10:44:12 AM »

I thought Johnson had endorsed O.

Yep, from Jan 9:

http://www.kxmb.com/News/196637.asp
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2008, 01:18:10 PM »

Sen. Byron Dorgan endorses Obama:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/02/27/sen_dorgan_endorses_obama.html
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2008, 01:53:02 PM »

Current tally (through Dorgan):

Clinton: 14 Senators, 79 Reps. = 93 congressional endorsements

Obama: 12 Senators, 71 Reps. = 83 congressional endorsements
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2008, 02:36:39 PM »

Oh, and Lewis switches for real this time:

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/02/27/Lewis_0228_web.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2008, 10:28:14 PM »

DNC Marianne Stevens (D-ME), Vice-Chair of the Maine Democratic Party, has endorsed Obama.

“After considerable thought I am proud to give my support and endorsement to Senator Barack Obama. He has won eleven straight contests since February 5, including the Maine caucuses. His success and the overwhelming number of voters who have chosen change helped me make this decision. He's run a smart and exciting campaign and he will bring us to victory in November.

“I was in High School and a volunteer in a Democratic campaign office when I met Bobby Kennedy. He gave us all hope in very troubling times.  Barack Obama gives me the same sense of hope for our future. The numbers of new voter registrations and the enthusiasm of younger voters to stand for Obama at our caucuses was very encouraging as well and speaks well for his chances in the general election.”
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2008, 01:56:42 AM »

The American Small Business League endorses Obama:

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=825441
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2008, 06:09:29 AM »

Texas state Rep Senfronia Thompson (great name) has switched from Clinton to Obama

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/5576891.html
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2008, 12:58:40 PM »

Rep. John Barrow (D-GA) for Obama. Looks as if the endangered Georgia congressmen like the idea of Obama at the top of the ticket.

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/samgrahamfelsen/gGggHZ

The Toledo Blade (which, by the way, is an awesome newspaper name) has endorsed Obama, too.

Also, to clarify the above, Senfronia Thompson is a superdelegate.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2008, 10:11:30 PM »

I dunno if this is an endorsement, or if he has already endorsed him or whatever but Bruce Spingsteen had this to say:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2008, 11:00:48 AM »

DNC Members Brian Melendez and Donna Cassutt (D-MN) have announced that they will be supporting Obama at the convention, as Obama won Minnesota's caucuses handily.  This is not an endorsement per se, though it is two additional superdelegate votes.

"We both have great confidence in, and respect and enthusiasm for, Senator Obama and the message of change that has resonated so strongly with voters in Minnesota and throughout America. But this announcement is not an "endorsement" in the usual sense, because it doesn't result from our personal judgment about the candidates or their relative merit. (One of us even cast a blank Presidential ballot on Caucus Night.) We also have great confidence in, and respect and enthusiasm for, Senator Clinton, whom we would gladly have supported if she had won the Minnesota caucuses - and will gladly support if she wins the Democratic nomination. We are not joining Senator Obama's campaign, since our loyalty lies first and foremost with the DFL Party itself; and we will not be using either the Party's resources, or our own personal time, energy, or other resources, in promoting his campaign or any other. This announcement simply reflects our desire to let the more than two hundred thousand DFLers who braved a cold winter night, long lines, and bustling crowds on Caucus Night know that their voices were heard and that their Party's heads are honoring their choice."

Link

exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2008, 01:24:32 PM »

Today, the Chair and Associate Chair of the Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party endorsed Barack Obama. Chair Brian Melendez and Associate Chair Donna Cassutt — two Minnesota superdelegates — backed Obama, citing his overwhelming win in the Minnesota caucuses and ability to bring new voters into the process.

The Obama campaign also announced that North Dakota superdelegate and Democratic National Committee Member Renee Pfenning endorsed Barack Obama

State Representative and Democratic National Committee Superdelegate Yvonne Davis (D-Dallas) endorsed Senator Obama's grassroots campaign for change

Four more superdelegates for Obama

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2008, 02:10:10 PM »

Now the question is who that undecided North Dakota superdelegate is. Because Obama's running 7 of 8 there with one undecided.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2008, 02:11:40 PM »

Now the question is who that undecided North Dakota superdelegate is. Because Obama's running 7 of 8 there with one undecided.

David Strauss, state party chairman
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2008, 02:39:13 PM »

Rep. John Barrow (D-GA) for Obama. Looks as if the endangered Georgia congressmen like the idea of Obama at the top of the ticket.

I'm not sure Barrow is quite as endangered as he may think. Low African-American turnout in 2006 made his district's result as close as it was. Still, given that, it makes sense for him to endorse Obama, who I'd have thought carried his district handidly in the primary

Dave
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #68 on: February 29, 2008, 03:35:50 PM »
« Edited: February 29, 2008, 03:39:11 PM by Tender Branson »

Obama endorsed by Jay Rockefeller (D-WV).

From NBC's Domenico Montanaro

Sen. Jay Rockefeller has thrown his support behind Obama. Rockefeller is the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

SUPERDELEGATE COUNT (as of 3:40 pm ET, Feb. 29)
Clinton 254
Obama 208

NOTE: Obama has picked up 38 delegates since Super Tuesday, Feb. 5. Clinton has lost a net of 6.

Super delegate numbers reflect totals gathered by the NBC News Political Unit from the campaigns and public endorsements.

The NBC News Hard Count stands at Obama leading Clinton 1,194-1,037.

GRAND TOTAL
Obama 1,402
Clinton 1,291

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/02/29/717864.aspx
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2008, 03:43:36 PM »

Obama endorsed by Jay Rockefeller (D-WV).

I wonder who the other WV Senator will endorse?  Wink
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2008, 03:49:38 PM »

Rockefeller is someone who I had considered a possible VP choice for either Obama or Clinton. Interesting that he has chosen to endorse Obama (especially as West Virginia is about as Clinton country as they come).
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2008, 03:53:29 PM »

Rockefeller would be a super VP choice.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2008, 04:16:30 PM »

What are the pros and cons of Rockefeller on the ticket?  I like that he's on the intel committee.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2008, 05:04:14 PM »

I'm not sure Barrow is quite as endangered as he may think. Low African-American turnout in 2006 made his district's result as close as it was. Still, given that, it makes sense for him to endorse Obama, who I'd have thought carried his district handidly in the primary

Dave

Right, and if he wants to avoid that low turnout again, who's the best candidate to run at the top of the ticket?

DNC Members Brian Melendez and Donna Cassutt (D-MN) have announced that they will be supporting Obama at the convention, as Obama won Minnesota's caucuses handily.  This is not an endorsement per se, though it is two additional superdelegate votes.

"We both have great confidence in, and respect and enthusiasm for, Senator Obama and the message of change that has resonated so strongly with voters in Minnesota and throughout America. But this announcement is not an "endorsement" in the usual sense, because it doesn't result from our personal judgment about the candidates or their relative merit. (One of us even cast a blank Presidential ballot on Caucus Night.) We also have great confidence in, and respect and enthusiasm for, Senator Clinton, whom we would gladly have supported if she had won the Minnesota caucuses - and will gladly support if she wins the Democratic nomination. We are not joining Senator Obama's campaign, since our loyalty lies first and foremost with the DFL Party itself; and we will not be using either the Party's resources, or our own personal time, energy, or other resources, in promoting his campaign or any other. This announcement simply reflects our desire to let the more than two hundred thousand DFLers who braved a cold winter night, long lines, and bustling crowds on Caucus Night know that their voices were heard and that their Party's heads are honoring their choice."

Link

Tim Walz basically said the same thing. Cool though.

This means Obama has 10 out of 16 Minnesota superdelegate endorsements. Only 3 for Hillary, the last remaining three are Amy Klobuchar and two "add-ons" who'll be selected at the state convention (and thus almost certainly for Obama).
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2008, 05:06:05 PM »

What are the pros and cons of Rockefeller on the ticket?  I like that he's on the intel committee.

I've always considered Rockefeller a great Vice Presidential candidate, especially for Obama.

PROS -
1. He's from West Virginia where he is definitely popular, winning re-election with 63% of the vote in 2002.

2. Not only would he probably ensure WV for Obama, he would make things better for Obama in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Kentucky and Virginia - a crucial area.  Obama doesn't need to win every state here, but he needs not to be blown out by McCain.  He needs to shore support among older white-working class Democrats and Rockefeller is of definite appeal.

3. Experience - Rockefeller was Governor of West Virginia for eight years, and has been in the Senate since 1985.  He's had executive and legislative experience.

4. He is a safe pair of hands should anything happen to Obama - he's been on the Intelligence Committee meaning that he can answer the GOP scaremongering about Obama's experience.

CONS -
1.  His age mainly - born in 1937 so already over 70 and 72 when he becomes Vice President.  If Obama plans to portray McCain as too old - look at who he's got succeeding as President.

But still I think Rockefeller would be an excellent choice, probably the best Obama could make alongside former Senators Bob Graham of Florida, Sam Nunn of Georgia and General Wesley Clark.  What he needs are older white men, preferably from the South or Border states, with experience and credibility on national security.   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies