OFFICIAL Endorsements Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:18:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  OFFICIAL Endorsements Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 29
Author Topic: OFFICIAL Endorsements Thread  (Read 64230 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 29, 2008, 05:47:03 PM »

Rockefeller's endorsement is interesting.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #76 on: February 29, 2008, 07:58:46 PM »

Doesn't having the name Rockefeller on a ticket just read "CHANGE" to you?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #77 on: February 29, 2008, 09:44:02 PM »

Rockefeller would be a super VP choice.

What are the pros and cons of Rockefeller on the ticket?  I like that he's on the intel committee.

I've always considered Rockefeller a great Vice Presidential candidate, especially for Obama.

PROS -
1. He's from West Virginia where he is definitely popular, winning re-election with 63% of the vote in 2002.

2. Not only would he probably ensure WV for Obama, he would make things better for Obama in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Kentucky and Virginia - a crucial area.  Obama doesn't need to win every state here, but he needs not to be blown out by McCain.  He needs to shore support among older white-working class Democrats and Rockefeller is of definite appeal.

3. Experience - Rockefeller was Governor of West Virginia for eight years, and has been in the Senate since 1985.  He's had executive and legislative experience.

4. He is a safe pair of hands should anything happen to Obama - he's been on the Intelligence Committee meaning that he can answer the GOP scaremongering about Obama's experience.

CONS -
1.  His age mainly - born in 1937 so already over 70 and 72 when he becomes Vice President.  If Obama plans to portray McCain as too old - look at who he's got succeeding as President.

But still I think Rockefeller would be an excellent choice, probably the best Obama could make alongside former Senators Bob Graham of Florida, Sam Nunn of Georgia and General Wesley Clark.  What he needs are older white men, preferably from the South or Border states, with experience and credibility on national security.   

Well, it would be very unwise of Obama to make an issue of McCain's age. That could enable him to select Rockefeller, without charges of hypocrisy or worse; indeed, Rockefeller would be a sound choice for much the reasons you have cited

Furthermore, running something of an 'agist' campaign, is sure to annoy seniors, who may well be predisposed to McCain in any case, given 1) he's one of them and 2) they are more likely to be conservative, as well as offputting to other voters, and Obama needs all the votes he can muster just as any presidential candidate does

McCain's age may well be an issue, but it's not for his Democratic opponent to make it one.

Problem! How does Rockefeller fit in with the 'change' message? He's as much Washington as McCain. Not to mention being a man born into one of America's wealthiest families. Still, it can't have done him any harm in West Virginia, which isn't exactly one of the more affluent states of the Union. He can't be that 'out of touch' with his constituents

But what is 'change'? Hell, after George W Bush, competence would be change Wink

Dave
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #78 on: February 29, 2008, 10:33:41 PM »

More bad news for Hillary: The DNC has ruled that superdelegate DNC member Ken Curtis from Maine no longer legally resides in Maine and has moved to Florida. In theory this doesn't affect his superdelegate or DNC status, however since Florida has been stripped of its delegates he has also been stripped of it due to now belonging to the Florida delegation. He's a Hillary supporter, so she just lost another superdelegate. This brings the number of superdelegates down to 794 (usually reported as 796, but the death of Tom Lantos brought it to 795 earlier).

Maine also lost another superdelegate in former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell who has been listed as having moved to New York, but of course he'll still keep his status and be able to vote. And he has not yet endorsed a candidate.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2008, 04:56:55 AM »

Another superdelegate will be selected tomorrow. The Alabama State Democratic Executive Committee will hold a meeting to choose their "add-on" superdelegate. I don't know enough about who's on the committee to know if they'll go with the state or defy it and pick a Hillary supporter, we'll have to see.

Two other such add-ons have also been chosen, one from Oklahoma and one from DC. The DC one has endorsed Obama while the Oklahoma one is a former Edwards supporter now uncommitted and has not made an endorsement since.
NHPolitico

« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2008, 10:20:41 AM »

Another superdelegate will be selected tomorrow. The Alabama State Democratic Executive Committee will hold a meeting to choose their "add-on" superdelegate. I don't know enough about who's on the committee to know if they'll go with the state or defy it and pick a Hillary supporter, we'll have to see.

Well, I'd hate to see Hillary's streak of not getting any new superdelegates be broken.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2008, 08:18:36 PM »

Alabama AFL-CIO President Stewart Burkhalter has been elected as a superdelegate from Alabama. He supports Obama.

http://www.al.com/newsflash/regional/index.ssf?/base/politics-0/120440335147910.xml&storylist=alabamanews
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2008, 04:27:42 PM »

Dallas Morning News has re-endorsed Huckabee
M

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2008, 11:34:15 PM »

Why, again?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2008, 06:18:23 PM »

Another superdelegate for Obama: TX Dem Party Vice-Chair Roy Laverne

http://www.burntorangereport.com/showDiary.do;jsessionid=B443A41112C1F2F51546D55A66AB84C4?diaryId=5280
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2008, 06:21:37 PM »

California DNC Member Steve Alari contacted Politico to say he announced his support on January 11 for Obama.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2008, 12:50:20 PM »

Day after Clinton wins Ohio by 10, DNC superdelegate Rhine Mclin endorses ....... Obama

To be fair, her county (Montgomery) voted for him

http://1290whio.com/includes/news/indepth/5279860_Dayton_Mayor_Endorses_Barack_Obama_104020.html
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2008, 04:22:26 PM »

http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/hqblog

georgia democratic party chairwoman jane kidd endorses obama
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2008, 04:25:44 PM »

Teresa Benitez-Thompson the First Vice Chair of the Nevada State Democratic Party, has endorsed Obama:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Rep. Nick J. Rahall II [West Virginia superdelegate] endorsed Obama:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So even after his big state losses hes picking up superdelegates.

Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »

Maybe Brokaw was right. I think his strategy is to slowly announce the support of those supers instead of all at once.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2008, 04:38:33 PM »

Vermont Superdelegate Ian Carleton (State party Chair) endorses Obama
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2008, 04:43:15 PM »

South Carolina DNC Carol Khare Fowler and South Carolina DNC Carol Khare Fowler endorse Obama.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2008, 04:43:59 PM »

Hillary's lead is down to 41.5
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2008, 04:56:26 PM »

South Carolina DNC Carol Khare Fowler and South Carolina DNC Carol Khare Fowler endorse Obama.

Is this two different people?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2008, 04:57:06 PM »

Worth noting: If Bill Foster wins the IL-14 special election on Saturday, Obama gains another superdelegate.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2008, 04:57:41 PM »

Worth noting: If Bill Foster wins the IL-14 special election on Saturday, Obama gains another superdelegate.

When would he get sworn in?
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2008, 04:59:32 PM »

Is this two different people?

Opps, sorry, I don't know what I was thinking.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2008, 05:00:25 PM »

Every special election winner I've seen so far has been sworn in almost immediately.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2008, 05:08:23 PM »

Every special election winner I've seen so far has been sworn in almost immediately.

I remember it being a couple of months for Laura Richardson, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm not sure when the deadline to be a superdelegate is, anyway.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2008, 05:09:55 PM »

I remember it being a couple of months for Laura Richardson, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm not sure when the deadline to be a superdelegate is, anyway.

It was two weeks for her. With tons of more delegates to be selected I highly doubt the deadline has passed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies