Quinnipiac: Lautenberg 37%; Republican 30%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:50:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Quinnipiac: Lautenberg 37%; Republican 30%
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Quinnipiac: Lautenberg 37%; Republican 30%  (Read 2208 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2008, 03:14:57 PM »

I'm not able to officially enter polls myself, so hopefully this will suffice.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1299.xml?ReleaseID=1144

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 03:16:32 PM »

He's safe. I'm not being sarcastic either.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 03:21:39 PM »

The important facts of the poll:

Looking ahead to the 2008 election for United States Senator, do you feel that Frank Lautenberg deserves to be reelected, or do you feel that he does not deserve to be reelected?

Yes: 32%
No: 40%

But:

If the 2008 election for United States Senator were being held today, do you think you would vote for Frank Lautenberg the Democratic candidate or the Republican candidate?

Lautenberg: 37%
Republican: 30%

Looking ahead to the 2009 election for Governor, do you feel that Jon Corzine deserves to be reelected, or do you feel that he does not deserve to be reelected?

Yes: 32%
No: 51%

But:

If the 2009 election for Governor were being held today, do you think you would vote for Jon Corzine the Democratic candidate or the Republican candidate?

Corzine: 35%
Republican: 33%
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 03:23:31 PM »

He's safe. I'm not being sarcastic either.

Likely.  Sadly enough, Lautenberg is about the worst Democratic candidate for this seat I can imagine, so if Republicans can't at least do well here even with a no-name like Estabrook, I'm not even sure why they should even bother anymore.

And yes, it should be no surprise that New Jersey is the way it is given the way it votes.  New Jerseyans hate Corzine and what he wants to do, but they'd still rather have him over a Republican.  It's part of the reason why New Jersey is in such terrible shape politically.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 03:57:05 PM »

And yes, it should be no surprise that New Jersey is the way it is given the way it votes.  New Jerseyans hate Corzine and what he wants to do, but they'd still rather have him over a Republican.  It's part of the reason why New Jersey is in such terrible shape politically.

I know it's frustrating when the party in power is behaving arrogantly/corruptly and voters won't even give your party a chance, but New Jersey became solidly Democratic on a state level relatively recently. Democrats only took complete control of state government in 2003. Republicans had total control of the legislature from 1991 to 2001 and a governor for most of that time, which is both a big reason New Jersey is "the way it is" and also why people still feel they gave Republicans a chance and were disappointed by what they got.

There will be a Republican comeback when Bush is no longer polluting the brand for you guys and the Democrats have one scandal too many. However, no one should expect the Republicans won't repeat the same mistakes they made in the 90s and the Democrats are making now, and the state will end up deeper in debt, more heavily developed, and ever less pleasant to live in no matter who is governing.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 04:56:22 PM »

I know it's frustrating when the party in power is behaving arrogantly/corruptly and voters won't even give your party a chance, but New Jersey became solidly Democratic on a state level relatively recently. Democrats only took complete control of state government in 2003. Republicans had total control of the legislature from 1991 to 2001 and a governor for most of that time, which is both a big reason New Jersey is "the way it is" and also why people still feel they gave Republicans a chance and were disappointed by what they got.

There will be a Republican comeback when Bush is no longer polluting the brand for you guys and the Democrats have one scandal too many. However, no one should expect the Republicans won't repeat the same mistakes they made in the 90s and the Democrats are making now, and the state will end up deeper in debt, more heavily developed, and ever less pleasant to live in no matter who is governing.

I don't care so much about a Republican comeback in New Jersey so much as I care about a "good government" comeback.  New Jersey hasn't seen it in quite some time, largely because the people have gotten into the business of reflexively voting against it.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 05:06:33 PM »

I don't care so much about a Republican comeback in New Jersey so much as I care about a "good government" comeback.  New Jersey hasn't seen it in quite some time, largely because the people have gotten into the business of reflexively voting against it.

Who are the "good government" candidate who have been the victim of reflexive voting?

Whoever isn't in office in NJ, is in favor of good government. Once they get in, they all forget, Republican or Democratic. You may as well vote based on other issues.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 05:09:18 PM »

Who are the "good government" candidate who have been the victim of reflexive voting?

Whoever isn't in office in NJ, is in favor of good government. Once they get in, they all forget, Republican or Democratic. You may as well vote based on other issues.

It's hard to tell you what candidates represent "good government," but I can sure as hell rifle off a list of a "bad government" candidates.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 05:15:28 PM »

It's hard to tell you what candidates represent "good government," but I can sure as hell rifle off a list of a "bad government" candidates.

Yup, they're the people in the leadership or at the heads of the committees from either party, and they are enabled by no matter who gets voted in to support them.

This is why Ellen Karcher's political career was a tragedy. She ran against a bad government guy and won. But she couldn't get good government policies passed. Now if the Republicans take the Senate, there are going to be senators in the pockets of developers and others who will line their pockets with the power given them by rookies in marginal districts while the state debt soars. It happened in the 90s.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 05:56:41 PM »

This is why Ellen Karcher's political career was a tragedy. She ran against a bad government guy and won. But she couldn't get good government policies passed.

And because she was in a solid Republican district.

Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 06:09:36 PM »

This is why Ellen Karcher's political career was a tragedy. She ran against a bad government guy and won. But she couldn't get good government policies passed.

And because she was in a solid Republican district.

I think her failure to get the Democratic leadership to support her initiatives is a bigger tragedy than her losing the seat. The latter, eh, once it was clear she was going to be a voice ignored by the other senators, who cares.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 06:32:06 PM »

At least we've still got Weinberg. We need more like her in the safe seats, on both sides. (Allen may be great, but there's always the risk that she'll be unseated, any year.) Unfortunately, it's the safe seats, where incumbents are never tossed out, that it's easiest for the corrupt slimebags to get in and stay in. And in the marginal seats, where reformers can win over voters, they disappear when their own party makes itself unpopular enough.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 12:28:09 AM »

I like how Joe Coniglio stuck it to Rose Heck (and Arnold Schwarzenegger) on behalf of good government.  Say, whatever happened to him?
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 12:38:14 AM »

Awww.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 12:44:42 AM »

Yup, they're the people in the leadership or at the heads of the committees from either party, and they are enabled by no matter who gets voted in to support them.

This is why Ellen Karcher's political career was a tragedy. She ran against a bad government guy and won. But she couldn't get good government policies passed. Now if the Republicans take the Senate, there are going to be senators in the pockets of developers and others who will line their pockets with the power given them by rookies in marginal districts while the state debt soars. It happened in the 90s.

It probably didn't help the "good government" cause that Ellen Karcher had that whole Christmas Tree farm thing going on.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 12:52:27 AM »

I heard she had the nerve to charge $542 for 1984 Christmas trees.
Rococo4

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 01:21:54 AM »

Laut will win.

I know I dont want to see Tom Kean again.  Doug Forrester would do better.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 11:57:19 AM »

I know I dont want to see Tom Kean again.  Doug Forrester would do better.

You have it the other way around. Seriously.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 12:09:05 PM »

It's part of the reason why New Jersey is in such terrible shape politically.

New Jersey's in great shape politically - it votes Democratic.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 12:25:22 PM »

Too bad it votes for horrible Democrats.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies