Alaska's Stevens Seeks to Stay in Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:22:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alaska's Stevens Seeks to Stay in Senate  (Read 1164 times)
CultureKing
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:28:39 PM »

By DAN JOLING – 1 day ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Ted Stevens, the longest-serving Republican in the history of the U.S. Senate, filed for re-election Thursday despite a federal investigation into his ties to an oil field services contractor.

Federal authorities are reviewing the remodeling of the 84-year-old's official residence in a resort near Anchorage; the contractor helped do the work, but Stevens hasn't been charged and has said he paid all bills presented to him.

He told reporters he decided to run again to battle Alaska's high unemployment and energy costs. He said he thinks the state's development has been stymied by "extreme environmentalists."

"I think Alaska really is heading for a fall if we don't wake up and deal with the enemy that is within us," he said.

Democrats hope the long-running investigation can weaken Stevens, the most powerful elected official Alaska has produced.

Stevens was appointed to the Senate in 1968, won a special election two years later and has been re-elected six times. Through positions on Senate committees controlling the country's purse strings, Stevens has delivered billions of dollars to Alaska, a state rich in land but poor in infrastructure. Grateful constituents named the largest airport in the state after him.

His legacy was tarnished last year when the FBI and the IRS raided his home in Girdwood, a ski resort community on Anchorage's southern edge.

Bill Allen, the former head of VECO Corp., an oil field service company, who has pleaded guilty to bribing Alaska state legislators, testified in trials that he oversaw extensive renovations at the home and sent VECO employees to work on it.

Beyond denying wrongdoing, Stevens has maintained a policy of not discussing pending investigations. He has said he did not want to be perceived as trying to influence the investigation.

Democrats believe the investigation could make Stevens vulnerable in this year's election. Top party officials are encouraging Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich to challenge Stevens, but Begich has not announced a decision.

---------------------------------

So hopefully this will make the Alaskan race competitive (I am not of course thinking that we will win it but at least if Stevens wins the primary we have a chance)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 10:30:18 PM »

How I'd love to see him go down in a primary.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:27:35 PM »

He'll likely win re-election.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 01:13:49 AM »

This corrupt ruffian needs to be taken down - either in a primary of the general
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 05:49:23 PM »

I would love for him to win the primary and lose the general.  But I don't know if there is a single Alaska Democrat who can defeat him. 

He definitely has to go.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 06:14:06 PM »

Well, now Begich has to run, and we have a chance.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 02:25:12 AM »

Is there anyone challenging him at this point?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 03:29:02 AM »

Is there anyone challenging him at this point?

There are a few possibilities. Politics1 has the former Lt. Governor as a potential candidate as well as a former State Senator who ran for Governor in 2006 (coming in second in the three person field).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 07:47:51 AM »

I suggest Mike Gravel Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies