Should Minnesota return Virginia's Confederate battle flag?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:17:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should Minnesota return Virginia's Confederate battle flag?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Should Minnesota return Virginia's Confederate battle flag?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 140

Author Topic: Should Minnesota return Virginia's Confederate battle flag?  (Read 6360 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 03:48:57 PM »

Tell you what.

Since the two states can't agree, I will happily offer to take the flag myself.  I collect Civil War artifacts and this would be the centerpiece of my collection.  :-)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 04:08:11 PM »

Tell you what.

Since the two states can't agree, I will happily offer to take the flag myself.  I collect Civil War artifacts and this would be the centerpiece of my collection.  :-)

My collection is bigger then yours. Tongue
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 05:06:44 PM »

Tell you what.

My collection is bigger then yours. Tongue

Ok boys . . . keep your pants zipped.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 07:29:22 PM »

I believe some museums in the south have Union Standards as well. They were mostly all fairly captured and I believe the state that captured them should be allowed to keep them.

Who gives a sh**t? We one the Civil War, and the stupid rascists lost. Its just a flag, and we are all Americans now anyways.

Your ignorance is telling.
How am I ignorant? It is just a flag and the last Confederate war veteran and widow died 50 years ago. They lost, and their cause was for all the wrong reasons, and there was no good reason for it.

Opinion.
Unless you are a Rascist, that believs Lincoln was a evil Liberal that was going to abolish Slavery, and take away State's Rights, it isn't a opinion.
It is kind of like saying the Germans were wrong in World War Two to kill the jews.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 12:04:11 AM »

Of course not, that would be the same as Russia returning to Germany the battle standarts they took during WW2.
Except Russia and Germany haven't been part of the same country for the past 150 years.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 01:45:01 AM »

I believe some museums in the south have Union Standards as well. They were mostly all fairly captured and I believe the state that captured them should be allowed to keep them.

Who gives a sh**t? We one the Civil War, and the stupid rascists lost. Its just a flag, and we are all Americans now anyways.

How am I ignorant? It is just a flag and the last Confederate war veteran and widow died 50 years ago. They lost, and their cause was for all the wrong reasons, and there was no good reason for it.

Opinion.
Unless you are a Rascist, that believs Lincoln was a evil Liberal that was going to abolish Slavery, and take away State's Rights, it isn't a opinion.
It is kind of like saying the Germans were wrong in World War Two to kill the jews.

Oh lord, another one of those ignorant types. The Confederacy was nothing at all like Nazi Germany.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2008, 02:18:32 AM »

Opinion.

Oh lord, another one of those ignorant types. The Confederacy was nothing at all like Nazi Germany.

Might I recommend a re-education camp?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 02:36:12 AM »

Just because both groups had racism and war as a major parts of their essence doesn't mean they had a lot of other things in common.  Tik, can you list some non-racist things Nazi Germany and the Confederate States of America had in common?  I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I haven't seen the evidence showing you're right.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 02:55:26 AM »

I vote no. Instead it should be publicly burned on the steps of the state capitol.

The sad thing is that if that was done, it would make Minnesota look bad. The South doesn't need any sympathy. It already has all our population, retirees, military bases and federal tax dollars.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 02:44:43 PM »

Just because both groups had racism and war as a major parts of their essence doesn't mean they had a lot of other things in common.  Tik, can you list some non-racist things Nazi Germany and the Confederate States of America had in common?  I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I haven't seen the evidence showing you're right.

The Union was spotless, promote them!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 04:37:54 PM »

Considering the Confederate commander freed his slaves in 1859, I doubt that a comparison  is apt, unless Goring started attending bar mitzvahs.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 08:49:14 PM »

Opinion.

I know it wasn't but both countries had large rascist undertones. Don't take me as an ignorant person just because I don't describe things deeply anyways. I love studying about the Civil War, and it is probably me favorite period in American History, however I have come to the conclusion that the Confederates were deeply wrong. Robert E. Lee, and other Southern anti-slavery Generals were actually great men in my opinion but I think the government and cause was wrong.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2008, 08:09:30 PM »

I don't know why you're asking me, I'm not advocating anything. But if you want I could make something up Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2008, 03:13:13 AM »

I don't know why you're asking me, I'm not advocating anything. But if you want I could make something up Smiley
You're right, my mistake.  Go ahead and make something up though.  Maybe the Nazi's and the Confederates both had extremely large, but hidden, hardcore gay clubs?  Or both were big promoters of sport fishing?  Maybe they both were innovative in submarine warfare?  Or took new strides in undergarment fashion?
Plant City Rebel
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.17

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008, 10:14:38 AM »

Hating to burst your bubble, but there is one Confederate Widow left, as well as numerous Real Daughters. Give the flag back, y'all don't care about it, give it to those who will honor the sacrifices made by both sides.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2008, 10:32:06 AM »

Hating to burst your bubble, but there is one Confederate Widow left, as well as numerous Real Daughters. Give the flag back, y'all don't care about it, give it to those who will honor the sacrifices made by both sides.

She died four years ago:

http://lastconfederatewidow.com/
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2008, 10:58:14 AM »

150 years later, and people are still fighting the civil war.  Pathetic.
Plant City Rebel
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2008, 01:49:31 PM »

She died four years ago:

http://lastconfederatewidow.com/

http://www.civilwarnews.com/archive/articles/maudie_hopkins.htm

Trust me on this one, there is one more.  She is one of our Randolph Relief Ladies in U.D.C.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2008, 08:56:34 PM »

Opinion.

No; I think that statement is an opinion.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2008, 09:41:13 PM »

Opinion.

Now that I look back on that, that was a retarded post. I still think that those who love the Confederacy have no reason too....
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2008, 11:51:22 PM »

Opinion.

Now that I look back on that, that was a retarded post. I still think that those who love the Confederacy have no reason too....

I don't love the Confederacy, but I can see where those people are coming from.
Plant City Rebel
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2008, 05:56:25 AM »

Opinion.

Gee, I am really tired of it being implied that I am a racist, because I love the South.  Also, how does that work for the descendants of Black Confederates?  As for having no reason to love the Confederacy--So, you have no respect for your ancestors?  That's what you are implying when you say that those who love the Confederacy have no reason to.   I don't often go into personal issues on forums, but let me make it a little real to you.  My GGGGGrandfather was a teacher.  He owned no slaves, he had no real estate, as his housing was provided by the community he taught for.  He had 300 dollars worth of personal property, the equivalent of $7504.80 today.  He had been married for a little over two years,and had a one year old son
when he left to enlist in 1861.   He missed two years of his child's life before he returned home.  That is not something easily done.   No matter what your feelings are, you cannot discount such sacrifice,  or maybe you can, as that is what you seem to have done in classifying all Confederates as stupid racists.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2008, 12:15:07 PM »

brtd, can you give us an update on the status of this flag plz?

hopefully the enlightened minnesotans (mankato state grads, in particular) havent returned this artifact to the goddamned racist, backwards hicks.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2008, 01:07:53 PM »

Only if Virginia votes for Obama in November ... Tongue

What do you think BRTD ?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2008, 06:08:54 PM »

Opinion.

Gee, I am really tired of it being implied that I am a racist, because I love the South.  Also, how does that work for the descendants of Black Confederates?  As for having no reason to love the Confederacy--So, you have no respect for your ancestors?  That's what you are implying when you say that those who love the Confederacy have no reason to.   I don't often go into personal issues on forums, but let me make it a little real to you.  My GGGGGrandfather was a teacher.  He owned no slaves, he had no real estate, as his housing was provided by the community he taught for.  He had 300 dollars worth of personal property, the equivalent of $7504.80 today.  He had been married for a little over two years,and had a one year old son
when he left to enlist in 1861.   He missed two years of his child's life before he returned home.  That is not something easily done.   No matter what your feelings are, you cannot discount such sacrifice,  or maybe you can, as that is what you seem to have done in classifying all Confederates as stupid racists.

But you can at least admit that the southern cause was wrong? I know the war was sold as a war for southern independence from the tyrannous north, but in the end they were fighting to uphold the southern economic system, which included the enslavement of blacks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies