The Atlasian Watchguard
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:24:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Watchguard
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Atlasian Watchguard  (Read 8272 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 07:30:34 PM »

This "resurrection" wasn't so much a JCP turnaround as much as it was a Xahar meltdown.  People who voted for him in the general voted against him in the runoff, and I'm guessing his more-arrogant-than-fu** attitude had something to do with it.

Me meltdown? The JCP machine realized it needed to start working.

And I was too arrogant. So? If you had done what I did, you would have been arrogant too. And tell me that half of the Friz voters actually read that thread.

A party that actively recruits candidates and encourages its supporters to vote for them is a machine? Fascinating.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 07:33:06 PM »

This "resurrection" wasn't so much a JCP turnaround as much as it was a Xahar meltdown.  People who voted for him in the general voted against him in the runoff, and I'm guessing his more-arrogant-than-fu** attitude had something to do with it.

And I was too arrogant. So? If you had done what I did, you would have been arrogant too. And tell me that half of the Friz voters actually read that thread.

A party that actively recruits candidates and encourages its supporters to vote for them is a machine? Fascinating.

A party that cranks out subpar candidates like that, who consistantly win anyway, certainly qualifies for the label.

In all seriousness, though, why did you appoint him?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2008, 08:35:43 PM »

Remember the nasty goings on within lefty-land in the runup to the election? That's why.
I could of sworn that staying out of the mudslinging would get me elected. Alas, Phil and Porce ran the best campaign in recent memory, getting someone who had just returned from an extended absence and posting as a fictional woman on somebody else's account elected, and handily at that. I think he'll do a good job, though.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2008, 12:14:30 AM »

And what you did was... force a runoff that you could have won, but instead lost by a landslide largely due to your own behavior and arrogance since forcing said runoff?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 12:19:25 AM »

And what you did was... force a runoff that you could have won, but instead lost by a landslide largely due to your own behavior and arrogance since forcing said runoff?
This.

I had a similar episode when I ran for SE Lt. Governor. I decided to vote NOTA for Governor [Bono,unopposed] and Senate [Sam Spade, unopposed]. It came off as arrogant, as it should have, and I nearly lost an uncontested race.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 12:20:33 AM »

If CultureKing had voted for me then, I would've won. And I doubt my actions determined what happened. New Friz voters:

jfern: I seriously doubt he saw any of these topics.
phknrocket1k: Debatable.
Rob: Member of the machine who was tapped when the JCP found it necessary.
Everett: :X
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 08:23:46 AM »

That is, basically, what a political machine does, yeah.
Nothing necessarily wrong with it, mind. Wink
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2008, 04:44:16 PM »

Hmm, well I have little doubt that the breakdown of the parties in this game during 2005-2006 is one of the biggest reasons this game has declined.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2008, 05:00:48 PM »

Hmm, well I have little doubt that the breakdown of the parties in this game during 2005-2006 is one of the biggest reasons this game has declined.

^^^
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2008, 07:58:30 PM »

^^^

I have to completely agree as well. Even after the demise of the AFRNC and AFDNC many of the first or second generation parties, the early ACA, the CUP, the FLP, the old United Left and UAC, had great intra-party debates, conventions, and excellent party activity. People really identified with their party. The "independent" era and the era of small parties has been detrimental to Atlasia.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2008, 08:01:33 PM »

^^^

I have to completely agree as well. Even after the demise of the AFRNC and AFDNC many of the first or second generation parties, the early ACA, the CUP, the FLP, the old United Left and UAC, had great intra-party debates, conventions, and excellent party activity. People really identified with their party. The "independent" era and the era of small parties has been detrimental to Atlasia.

What can be done to solve it?

We need a better conservative party.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2008, 08:02:40 PM »

We do indeed.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2008, 08:05:58 PM »

The Federalists don't cut it. Too many independent conservatives.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2008, 08:12:46 PM »

really if you think about it the federalists really aren't a conservative party. They stand for big and centralized government.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2008, 08:15:05 PM »

really if you think about it the federalists really aren't a conservative party. They stand for big and centralized government.

Exactly. There needs to be a real party of the right.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2008, 08:16:59 PM »

No, there need to be real parties full stop. The only party that comes close to that is the JCP. How sad.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2008, 08:29:08 PM »

No, there need to be real parties full stop. The only party that comes close to that is the JCP. How sad.

Define a "real party".
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2008, 09:33:37 PM »

I'm glad to see some other people who've been around a long time agree with me. The JCP shouldn't be vilified as some evil and corrupt party--we need more parties like the JCP.

Seriously, turn-out is like what, half of what it used to be back in the day?

But not in the Pacific. We've never had more votes than we did in the September 2007 run-off between Everett and Alcon. And this is another high turn-out election with about 11 people so far voting.

While there are other aspects of this game (legislation, etc.), elections are of course the main thing, and though deep down inside I suppose I wouldn't mind the JCP getting 100% in every election (Cheesy) I must applaud Xahar for making this an interesting election.

The Midwest Region is the complete opposite. They're down to what, 5-6 voters? Verin's dictatorship has been very damaging.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2008, 09:56:54 PM »

maybe if there was a merger of a few of the political parties things could get interesting again. Or one party would completely dominate but meh.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2008, 10:28:25 PM »

I like to consider the PLP a real party. We convene, have votes... you know, party stuff.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2008, 09:10:13 AM »

I'm glad to see some other people who've been around a long time agree with me. The JCP shouldn't be vilified as some evil and corrupt party--we need more parties like the JCP.

But not in the Pacific. We've never had more votes than we did in the September 2007 run-off between Everett and Alcon. And this is another high turn-out election with about 11 people so far voting.

While there are other aspects of this game (legislation, etc.), elections are of course the main thing, and though deep down inside I suppose I wouldn't mind the JCP getting 100% in every election (Cheesy) I must applaud Xahar for making this an interesting election.

The Midwest Region is the complete opposite. They're down to what, 5-6 voters? Verin's dictatorship has been very damaging.
You're confusing cause and effect. And the Midwest had the highest turnout of all the Regions in the Presidential Election. We just have very few inhabitants - and even fewer real-life inhabitants.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2008, 04:27:34 PM »

You're confusing cause and effect. And the Midwest had the highest turnout of all the Regions in the Presidential Election. We just have very few inhabitants - and even fewer real-life inhabitants.

Yes, because this game is about elections. Why would anyone want to live in a dictatorship? That isn't any fun.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2008, 05:30:26 PM »

The Midwest has always been small; at our peak, we had... say... 10 voters.  So going down to 6 just parallels the decline of the rest of Atlasia.  If given data I could certainly provide a statistical analysis Wink

In other words, what Lewis said Smiley
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2008, 11:35:57 PM by Rockefeller Republican »

The Atlasian Watchguard
An Exclusive Interview with Mr. Jack Polnut

Rocky: You dropped out of last February's Presidential Election after a series of attacks on your campaign, which mostly came from the "Establishment" of Atlasia. Do you believe they have too much control in Atlasian Politics.

Polnut: I didn't drop out because of attacks on my campaign - I left the race because of the personal nature of the attacks from my political opponents. I knew I would likely be facing an unfriendly Senate, and wanted to make sure our agenda had the best chance of succeeding. I thought my exit would make that easier. It certainly wasn't my preferred option, but I did what I thought was best.

All political systems have elites, or an establishment. I don't think that concept in all is bad. However, sometimes, that evolves into a entitlement sensation, when people forget that no matter what their history their vote is worth as much as anyone elses. Some were quick to discount this idea, but I don't think I've experienced such a level of condescention in Atlasia. It would've been nice that certain individuals were to bring their concerns to me at the time, rather than having some sort of breakdown. I admitted my errors as Mideast Governor, especially very early on, but some just could not let it go. What makes it worse is that I was told by others that this person held this feeling for some time before the election, but chose not to raise it with me, and only made it public when I was doing so well in the progressive primary. I'm sorry if that sounds like bitterness, and I don't mean it to, but I wanted it to be known than I think a side of Atlasia was uncovered in the election camapaign. New blood is not encouraged, unless you have already been vetted and approved. Anytime, any group feels entitled to consider their view more important and relevant is the time when  that group has too much power. We'll see what the future holds.

Rocky: Upon your withdrawal from the Presidential race, you left Atlasian permanently. Why did you decide to leave Atlasia? Do you ever plan to return?

Polnut: I'm leaving Atlasia officially on March 21. I really thought whether Atlasia was what I felt it should be, mostly an enjoyable experience, but more and more it's more about over-sized and over-active egos. Certain elements of this are pretty much unavoidable, and that's ok. But what's been going on is sad, and not reflective of what I want from Atlasia. That's part of the reason that I wanted to run for President, to sweep out the old guard and bring a new energy to Atlasian politics. After that date, I don't see myself returning in any significant capacity.

Rocky: As we know Keystone Phil was elected President of Atlasia in February, defeating Jas and Sensei for the top job. Were you surprised that he was elected? Why do you you think Phil was elected?

Polnut: I think like most people I was shocked. I think an electoral combination of JCP groupthink, and second preferences from "anti-" voters for the other two tickets, gave him that much needed boost.

Rocky: Continuing on the subject of President Phil, what do you think about his cabinet choices? If you had have stayed in the Presidential race, would you have kept Lewis as Secretary of Forum Affairs?

Polnut: I respect the right Phil has as the duly elected President to nominate whomever he wishes to be on his cabinet. I have some concerns about one choice, but in the end that's up to him and the Senate. If I was elected I had three choices for SoFA, one was Lewis.

Rocky:  Do you agree with the Supreme Court's actions to overturn Keystone Phil's ban, due to the Jessica Weinstien incident.

Polnut: I do have some concerns with this. If Phil were ineligible to serve as president, then the election should have been re-run with only the other three candidates. But importantly, I don't know under what specific authority the president acted. In the law, what the people want, and what should happen are two different things.

Rocky: Do you believe that the Progressive Liberal Party is in safe hands under the reigns of Sensei and Xahar? Despite, in my view, underperforming in the February Elections?

Polnut: Sensei has shown he cares about the future of the PLP, and the election to replace me as Vice-Chairman was well contested. The party didn't do as well as it could have, but it we did get a PLP senator in the Pacific, and I think with a less screwy election we should do well.

Rocky: Is there anyone in the world of Atlasia, you'd like to see run in June 2008 for the Presidency?

Polnut: There are plenty of new faces who could do very well, yourself, Sensei should definitely give it another try, Mr Moderate. What it comes down to it knowing what you stand for.

Rocky: Thank You for your time Mr. Polnut

Polnut: Always a pleasure
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2008, 10:47:23 PM »

The Atlasian Watchguard
An Exclusive Interview with Mr. Jack Polnut

Rocky:  Do you agree with then President Colin Wixted's actions to pardon Keystone Phil? Even though he was banned from holding any form of Atlasian office for 6 months, due to the Jessica Weinstien incident.

Polnut: I do have some concerns with this. If Phil were ineligible to serve as president, then the election should have been re-run with only the other three candidates. But importantly, I don't know under what specific authority the president acted. In the law, what the people want, and what should happen are two different things.

Wow. The misinformation campaign is now bordering on libel.

I won my appeal in the Supreme Court. I wasn't pardoned. Unbelievable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies