MSNBC Debate - The Showdown
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:03:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  MSNBC Debate - The Showdown
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: MSNBC Debate - The Showdown  (Read 9347 times)
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2008, 10:28:01 PM »

Is it just me or did her microphone gain jump mid question?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2008, 10:28:51 PM »

Weak on Kosovo Obama.  "Work with the international community" in the event of a Russian invasion.  I think troops would be in order.

You'd risk war with Russia?

You'd allow Russia to invade Europe whenever it wants?
8 out of 11 is not deserved
pollwatch99-b

« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2008, 10:29:31 PM »

He is prempting her tonight on Unity and campaigning with her.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2008, 10:29:54 PM »

Cute by Obama, this has to be so frustrating for her.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2008, 10:30:55 PM »

Weak on Kosovo Obama.  "Work with the international community" in the event of a Russian invasion.  I think troops would be in order.

Well no obviously, but there are other alternatives than rounding up troops and having the United States involved in another disaster like Iraq that could be ten times worse.
pollwatch99-b

« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2008, 10:31:54 PM »

Good job Obama - Instead of attacking Mc Cain and not Clinton
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2008, 10:31:59 PM »

I think, if Russia invaded anywhere in Europe except Belarus, the EU just might respond. And then the US would be working with the international community.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #157 on: February 26, 2008, 10:33:14 PM »

I think, if Russia invaded anywhere in Europe except Belarus, the EU just might respond. And then the US would be working with the international community.

Nonetheless, his answer was vague and weak, IMHO.  But, once again, I know I have a tendency to spin big for Clinton.

That said, overall this debate really sucked.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2008, 10:35:07 PM »

Debate win by Hillary, I think that is clear, but enough of a win? I don't think so.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2008, 10:35:43 PM »

Debate win by Hillary, I think that is clear, but enough of a win? I don't think so.

Really?  I thought Obama won.

What a crappy debate that was.  Boring.
pollwatch99-b

« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2008, 10:35:47 PM »

This debate will change nobody's mind.

That's bad for Hillary
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2008, 10:35:58 PM »

What? I'd say this is an Obama win overall.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2008, 10:36:20 PM »

Debate win by Hillary, I think that is clear

Really?  I would have said that Obama did well, although by virtue of ending well, Clinton probably tied it up.
pollwatch99-b

« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2008, 10:36:46 PM »

Obama win - on points
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2008, 10:37:43 PM »

Clinton seem frustrated and angry all night, up until the end where it just seemed like they both wanted the debate to end. Obama did well...Clinton okay I guess. This wont help her very well though.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2008, 10:38:01 PM »

I truly thought she came across as more informed, with more practical answers... but the boom in student voting will prevent that from mattering.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2008, 10:40:53 PM »

Because gotcha questions about the name of someone that, if you're President, you'll be briefed on for hours anyway are really helping us decide between these candidates so much. Thank you so much Tim Russert. Thank you.

The fact that no one will ever ask you, on a job, the bizarre sorts of questions you're typically asked on the two-day, grueling job interviews you have to undergo for most white-collar jobs is less relevant than how you answer them.  And one who has never run for president may only imagine the extrapolation that would be appropriate to conceive of the ultra-grueling, seventeen-month job interview process that goes into picking a U.S. President.  No one disagrees that the "gotcha" questions won't come up, especially if you control the press as carefully as the current president does, but anyone who has ever set on both sides of on a serious job interview will tell you that gotcha questions not only tell you something of the inner workings of the mind of the person being interviewed, but also force you to reckon with your own internal values and mechanisms of compartmentalization of facts when you are put in the position of having to answer them.   More bluntly, perhaps once once you get to be 35 or 40, you'll realize why you have to a certain age to even qualify for president. 

Russert is an excellent interviewer.  That's just my opinion, but apparently it is an opinion held by both the DNC and RNC, given that so many debates are moderated by him.

Also, I would call it a draw.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2008, 10:41:48 PM »

Not watching the debate, of course.  Smiley  But you do realize that if Russia wants to get involved, they'll probably fight a proxy war through that area.

And I wouldn't count on the EU doing anything in that area of the world.  It took them nearly 7 years to get involved last time, and only after we pushed them time and time again on it.

But whatever, the US involvement in this area was a function of neo-conservative/neo-liberal thought.  Apparently not popular around here except when the Dems push it (which of course is anywhere but Iraq).
NHPolitico

« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2008, 10:42:52 PM »

We need text wrap on the board.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2008, 10:48:45 PM »

the debate was a draw.  i dont think there was any winner or loser.

but whatever happens march 4, im damn proud of hillary clinton.   and im very proud that i was able to cast a vote for her.  i still believe she will be an excellent president.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #170 on: February 26, 2008, 10:54:58 PM »

Not watching the debate, of course.  Smiley  But you do realize that if Russia wants to get involved, they'll probably fight a proxy war through that area.

And I wouldn't count on the EU doing anything in that area of the world.  It took them nearly 7 years to get involved last time, and only after we pushed them time and time again on it.

But whatever, the US involvement in this area was a function of neo-conservative/neo-liberal thought.  Apparently not popular around here except when the Dems push it (which of course is anywhere but Iraq).

I think you're ignoring fundamental changes in the EU since Kosovo. The EU has a lot of new members, most of whom are very hostile towards Russia.

The EU is also far more invested in eastern Europe than it was in the 1990s; during the Kosovo War, the only EU member in eastern Europe was Greece (and maybe Finland depending on your definition of eastern Europe). Today, EU members in eastern Europe and western Europe are about equal in number.

Furthermore, the EU has made it a serious goal to "normalize" the Balkans. Croatia will join the EU by 2010. Macedonia may accede as soon as 2012. There are even talks of Montenegro becoming an official candidate country some time this year. The EU is not going to let such things be thrown off course by a war right on those countries' doorstep; it just won't stand for Russian interference in the Balkans the way it did in the 1990s.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #171 on: February 26, 2008, 10:58:08 PM »

You have more faith in the EU than I do.  Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #172 on: February 26, 2008, 11:14:11 PM »

Eh, nothing exciting. They had their heated moments but it wasn't what I expected. I didn't see a clear winner but the slight edge would go to Obama.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2008, 11:18:33 PM »

Obama performed very well, neither Clinton nor Russert could really shake him the whole time. I thought he was especially strong on the foreign policy questions and contrasting himself on the Iraq War with Hillary.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #174 on: February 26, 2008, 11:21:57 PM »

Eh, nothing exciting. They had their heated moments but it wasn't what I expected. I didn't see a clear winner but the slight edge would go to Obama.

Yeah, I saw your post at the beginning, and given that you predicted the outcome of Superbowl 42, I figured you'd call this one right as well.  So I watched, expecting fireworks.  I only wish you had been as wrong about the Giants in the superbowl as you were about this debate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies