Abolition of the Penny Act [At Final Vote] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:45:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Abolition of the Penny Act [At Final Vote] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Abolition of the Penny Act [At Final Vote]  (Read 5427 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: February 27, 2008, 05:17:35 PM »

I would prefer everything (excluding values of 1 cent to 5 cents inclusive) to be rounded down. If something costs $2.52 you can be sure as hell the retailer will sell it as $2.55. Across a national economy this could have an artificial effect on consumer price inflation.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »

I offer an amendment; the striking of section 4. I see no great benefit in recalling pennies; and I can see the use in having at least the ability to have currency in the basic unit. By all means I support the ending of production of currency more expensive to produce than its face value, but if they already exist, why remove them from circulation?

Such a position would muddy the waters regarding the penny's status and usage. The penny could effectively remain in circulation for several decades due to the lifespan of the penny (only lessened when the penny is effectively 'lost') as there would be no effort to recall them. At the same time retailers would begin to adjust to circumstances where the penny is not common legal tender.

I don't see any reason to abolish the penny.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 04:08:49 PM »

Nay.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies