The Examiner: Election Tracker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:39:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Examiner: Election Tracker
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 80
Author Topic: The Examiner: Election Tracker  (Read 193106 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2008, 12:01:55 PM »

The Examiner
2 April 2008

Energy Act Passes after Presidential Inaction

The Amendment to the National Energy Act has passed into law. The bill was presented to the President for his signature on 23 March.

The President has apologised for “not noticing” the legislation. Half an hour later (in response to accusations of inactivity by Examiner editor, Jas) the President said that “to suggest that I have pretty much ignored the actions of the Senate is laughable”.

Since his election in February, the President has made no comment on any legislative debate in the Senate.

----

Court Refuses Injunction

In the latest development in the BrandonH v Dept. of Forum Affairs case, Mr. Justice Ernest has refused to issue an injunction prohibiting Sen. Wixted from carrying on as the successor to Fmr. Sen. Jake.

Sen. Sam Spade had strongly advised the plaintiff to seek the injunction.

----

Gun Control

A Constitutional Amendment to Allow Gun Control has reached the Senate floor. The Amendment, authored by Vice President Ebowed, if successful, would allow the Senate to “regulate and ban firearms as necessary throughout the Republic of Atlasia”.  The Senate, in its opening considerations, seems hesitant towards the Amendment.

----

Atlasian Liberty Organisation founded

South Park Conservative has founded the “Atlasian Liberty Organisation” which will seek to put forward its own slate of candidates for the mid-term elections. The platform of the new organisation seems to have a strongly libertarian focus. The move seems to be a direct response to SPC’s failure to be adopted onto the NLC official ticket for the Senate election.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2008, 12:23:06 PM »

During the campaign you presented the Phil/Ebowed ticket as one committed to uniting Atlasia, yet you clearly are at odds over a series of policies, most recently evident viz a viz foreign policy and drugs policy. On what issues of relevance is the administration "united" and in what ways are you working to unite the country?

Having major disagreements are a part of life, Jas. We are united in making this fun again and bringing people back to Atlasia. We like the disagreement. We like that excitment.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Again, those disagreements don't mean that we are in disarray or not united in our ultimate goals.

That's because Peter and MasterJedi were smashing successes much to your dismay, Jas. I was involved in Mr. Moderate's and MAS' confirmation hearings. Whether you like what I said or not is not relevant.

In the past, the President and Vice President have been notified privately when a bill requires their vote or signature. I apologize for not noticing a change in style. It won't happen again.

Maybe you can do things differently in your administration, Jas, but in the meantime, I'll announce what I have planned when I am good and ready.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2008, 12:24:42 PM »

Also, Jas, you have refused to address my point about your bomb throwing and no desire to work to change the tone here. Care to address this now or do you want to continue being a cheap, childish, jealous hack?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2008, 12:36:30 PM »

Is it really wise for the President to personally engage in a back and forth with the "press" (which I choke saying the Examiner is the press but no matter)?

No Press Secretary in Atlasia?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2008, 12:49:16 PM »

During the campaign you presented the Phil/Ebowed ticket as one committed to uniting Atlasia, yet you clearly are at odds over a series of policies, most recently evident viz a viz foreign policy and drugs policy. On what issues of relevance is the administration "united" and in what ways are you working to unite the country?

Having major disagreements are a part of life, Jas. We are united in making this fun again and bringing people back to Atlasia. We like the disagreement. We like that excitment.

As of today, approaching the half-way point of your administration, do you believe you have been successful in "making this fun again" and bringing people back to Atlasia?

I also note you avoided my question - in what ways are you working towards your goals?

I don't need to ask the Vice President his views, he has made them perfectly clear.

Relating to the Comprehensive Drug Reform Bill, he said, in this very thread,
"Argh!!  Drug prohibition advocates make my head explode."

He also made his views on the announced Cuban policy publicly known here, again plainly expressing disagreement with administration policy and was informed that the policy wouldn't be changed unless you ordered same - something you haven't done.

I haven't approached any member of your administartion seeking any information since you informed me that your administration would not co-operate with me. Has that embargo now been lifted?

Again, those disagreements don't mean that we are in disarray or not united in our ultimate goals.

Those goals being?

And I note, you still haven't answered my question regarding the embargo on your administration dealing with me.

That's because Peter and MasterJedi were smashing successes much to your dismay, Jas.

Where did I object, or express any dissent, or indeed anything negative about the nominations of either?

FTR, I have no objection to either's nomination. I may personally disagree with various policy decisions of Masterjedi, but he has been creditably active. Unfortunately, you seem to regard activity in office as some sort of vice.

Why do you feel the need to continuously resort to personal attacks rather than dealing with the issues?

And you clearly have ignored the actions of the Senate, otherwise why did the Amendment to the National Energy Act sit on your desk untouched for over a week thus passing by default?
And why have you made no comments on any legislative debate in the 6 weeks since your election?

If that isn't ignoring the Senate's legislative agenda, what on earth would constitute such ignorance?

In the past, the President and Vice President have been notified privately when a bill requires their vote or signature. I apologize for not noticing a change in style. It won't happen again.

So, you're blaming the PPT for this one?

At any rate, you described the idea that you were ignoring Senate business as "laughable", surely if you were actually paying any attention you would have noticed the bill had passed at some point during the 8 days it sat on your desk?

A little patience? The mid-term elections are almost upon us and you have yet to present any policies or any agenda. When has any President in Atlasian history waited 6 weeks before announcing any policy?

When can we expect you to produce an agenda?

Maybe you can do things differently in your administration, Jas, but in the meantime, I'll announce what I have planned when I am good and ready.

No agenda in sight then?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2008, 12:53:45 PM »

Also, Jas, you have refused to address my point about your bomb throwing and no desire to work to change the tone here. Care to address this now or do you want to continue being a cheap, childish, jealous hack?

Quite simply, I am not responsible for the tone here. Give examples of this "bomb throwing".
I have not launched personal attacks on you - though you continue to make unwarranted, callous and untrue character assaults on me.

If you truly wanted a civil tone, you wouldn't act in this manner.

Also, please point to the examples of me being a "cheap, childish, jealous hack".
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2008, 07:19:15 PM »

Quite simply, I am not responsible for the tone here. Give examples of this "bomb throwing".
I have not launched personal attacks on you - though you continue to make unwarranted, callous and untrue character assaults on me.

Also, please point to the examples of me being a "cheap, childish, jealous hack".

Wait, so we're supposed to believe you are Mr. Big Deal Newspaper Editor and then you want to tell me you aren't responsible for the tone here? Everyone is responsible as citizens. Get over yourself.

As of today, approaching the half-way point of your administration, do you believe you have been successful in "making this fun again" and bringing people back to Atlasia?

I also note you avoided my question - in what ways are you working towards your goals?

Wrong (like usual). I said I was working on proposals to bring people back. Thanks.

My goal is to bring people back and make this fun again. Nasty, vengeful people like yourself don't help.

My administration is still not allowed to co-operate with those who do nothing but try to harm us.

I didn't start the attacks here, Jas; you did from day one. You may not have personal problems with the people I nominated but you jump at the opportunity to point out "failures" of this administration.

I'm not blaming anyone. See, this is what I mean. You act like Mr. High and Mighty and twist my words to make me seem like the bad guy. I told you that was what I was used to.

Truth be told, I didn't follow every procedural move on every piece of legislation. I was unaware that the bill in question was finally voted on. Again, my apologies. You wish to harp on it because, again, you like to add fuel to a fire.

Again with the instigating. When I have everything completed, you'll get your agenda.

Is it really wise for the President to personally engage in a back and forth with the "press" (which I choke saying the Examiner is the press but no matter)?

No Press Secretary in Atlasia?

My Press Secretary is in rehab.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #182 on: April 02, 2008, 07:25:33 PM »

I'm just going to note that I am really sick of this back and forth and am offering a truce, for what it's worth.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2008, 04:05:23 AM »

Wait, so we're supposed to believe you are Mr. Big Deal Newspaper Editor and then you want to tell me you aren't responsible for the tone here? Everyone is responsible as citizens. Get over yourself.

I haven't called myself a 'big deal'.

I'll reiterate my question though - if I'm responsible for all this, I'd like you to submit some evidence. Please point to some examples of 'bomb throwing' on my part; or where I initiated a personal attack on you; or any example of where I behaved in a "cheap, childish, jealous" manner.

If you can't point to any such examples, I'd suggest you refrain from making such allegations.

Those goals being?

And I note, you still haven't answered my question regarding the embargo on your administration dealing with me.

My goal is to bring people back and make this fun again. Nasty, vengeful people like yourself don't help.

My administration is still not allowed to co-operate with those who do nothing but try to harm us.

In what ways have I inhibited people from joining or re-joining Atlasia?
In what ways have I inhibted any efforts by you to "make this fun again"?
In what ways have I tried to "harm" your administration?

Again, if you have no evidence for any of these claims, I'd ask that you cease making such remarks.

Where did I object, or express any dissent, or indeed anything negative about the nominations of either?

FTR, I have no objection to either's nomination. I may personally disagree with various policy decisions of Masterjedi, but he has been creditably active. Unfortunately, you seem to regard activity in office as some sort of vice.

Why do you feel the need to continuously resort to personal attacks rather than dealing with the issues?

I didn't start the attacks here, Jas; you did from day one.

Please point out the attacks I supposedly started.

Again, if you can't substantiate any of these accusations, please stop making them.

You may not have personal problems with the people I nominated but you jump at the opportunity to point out "failures" of this administration.

I report all significant news stories, your "successes" have also been covered.
Do you object to reporting criticism of your administration?

So, you're blaming the PPT for this one?

At any rate, you described the idea that you were ignoring Senate business as "laughable", surely if you were actually paying any attention you would have noticed the bill had passed at some point during the 8 days it sat on your desk?

I'm not blaming anyone. See, this is what I mean. You act like Mr. High and Mighty and twist my words to make me seem like the bad guy. I told you that was what I was used to.

Truth be told, I didn't follow every procedural move on every piece of legislation. I was unaware that the bill in question was finally voted on. Again, my apologies. You wish to harp on it because, again, you like to add fuel to a fire.

It wasn't a procedural matter, it was the final vote on the legislation. If you were paying attention to the Senate's business, as you said you were, then you wouldn't need any reminder.

Do you really think that's not newsworthy?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #184 on: April 03, 2008, 04:05:47 AM »

I'm just going to note that I am really sick of this back and forth and am offering a truce, for what it's worth.

Please respond to my PM.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #185 on: April 03, 2008, 10:03:18 AM »

Did you get my PM, Jas?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2008, 10:43:09 AM »

I haven't called myself a 'big deal'.

I'll reiterate my question though - if I'm responsible for all this, I'd like you to submit some evidence. Please point to some examples of 'bomb throwing' on my part; or where I initiated a personal attack on you; or any example of where I behaved in a "cheap, childish, jealous" manner.

If you can't point to any such examples, I'd suggest you refrain from making such allegations.

I don't need to point to specific incidents where your tone has been out of line. It's in almost every article.

Your constant negative spin on everything I've stood for. Your sarcastic tone with everything I try to do. You're a negative force.

When you criticize even the most trivial things, yes, I do object to your criticism.

Do you know how things here have been at a final vote? I assumed things were tied up especially since I am used to being notified when something has passed. That's not blaming the PPT.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #187 on: April 03, 2008, 12:11:39 PM »

The Examiner
3 April 2008

Bell drafts IP check bill

The Attorney General, Peter Bell has drafted the Moderator Role and Status Bill and presented it for consultation. The bill proposes to set down a procedure whereby the Attorney General could lawfully attain the permission of the Supreme Court to seek an IP check of an Atlasian. The bill is produced in light of the decision in the Walterstein case, where President Keystone Phil overturned his conviction for voter fraud because evidence was improperly obtained.

----

SPC clarifies position of ALO

Following questioning, South Park Conservative has issued a clarification that the ALO is not intended to be a new party, but merely a slate for candidates in the upcoming election. SPC says that he wants to remain within the NLC and “libertarianize” the party platform. He indicated that he will not run in the mid-terms should Sen. Bacon King confirm his willingness to be on the NLC ticket.

----

Midwest Legislative Proposals

Lewis Trondheim has submitted a number of proposals for consideration by Midwesterners at the next ballot. They include a resolution of condemnation towards the Pacific region for its “democratic insolence”, demanding repentance and the state of New Mexico in reparations; the right to arm bears (except polar bears); and the Open Legislature Amendment, which would end the practice of holding bi-monthly votes on legislation in favour of creating votes, effectively,  as and when proposals arise.

South Park Conservative has also taken the opportunity to submit the Free Seccession Amendment which would move to allow any Midwesterner to secede from the region at will.

--

Examiner Polling

Following the recent discussion of the future of regional politics, this week’s Examiner Poll seeks to establish whether there is desire in Atlasia at large for structural reform of the regions.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #188 on: April 04, 2008, 11:31:25 AM »

The Examiner
4 April 2008

Examiner Poll: Regional Government

The returns from the Examiner Poll so far show that there is appetite among the Atlasian public for some form of shake up of regional government. As of going to press, only 22% of voters expressed the view that “no action should be taken” regarding the status of regional government in Atlasia. The public are though divided on what would be the best way to proceed. It is yet to be seen whether or not the political establishment will respond to the findings of the poll.

----

Senate Narrowly Fails to Overturn President’s Veto

With all 10 Senators now having voted, the motion to overturn the President’s veto of the Comprehensive Drug Reform Bill has failed by 1 vote.

Senators meekermariner (PLP-ME); CultureKing (JCP-D5); Hashemite (NLC-D2); and Sam Spade (JCP-SE) all reiterated their votes against the bill, though Sen. Spade indicated that he may be open to negotiation should the provision on Safe Injection Sites be re-examined.

----

Speedy Leaves PLP

The Progressive Liberal Party has lost another senior party member. Midwest Lt. Governor Speed of Sound has re-registered with the Department of Forum Affairs as an independent. The Lt. Governor has not given an indication as to why he decided to leave the party. The PLP has suffered from a gradual loss in membership in recent times. The loss of SoS means that judging by DoFA records, it is no longer outrightly Atlasia’s second largest party, being now tied in membership terms with the JCP.

----

Moderator Role and Status Bill

The new Moderator Role and Status Bill, drafted by AG Peter Bell, has been well seemingly received by a significant number of Atlasians. As of yet though, the bill has yet to be officially sponsored and so remains yet to be placed on the Senate agenda.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #189 on: April 05, 2008, 04:51:34 AM »

The Examiner
5 April 2008

Lewis & ilikeverin Ticket to Run Again?

Comments by both Lewis Trondheim and Midwest Governor ilikeverin, suggest that there could be a re-emergence of their February 2007 Presidential campaigns. That campaign saw the pair run 2 tickets Lewis/ilikeverin and ilikeverin/Lewis.

The comments mark the first speculation on possible tickets for the next presidential election in June.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #190 on: April 05, 2008, 11:21:32 PM »

The Examiner
5 April 2008

Lewis & ilikeverin Ticket to Run Again?

Comments by both Lewis Trondheim and Midwest Governor ilikeverin, suggest that there could be a re-emergence of their February 2007 Presidential campaigns. That campaign saw the pair run 2 tickets Lewis/ilikeverin and ilikeverin/Lewis.

The comments mark the first speculation on possible tickets for the next presidential election in June.

With Verin's platform of abolsihing the federal government, he has a good chance at getting my support.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #191 on: April 06, 2008, 02:17:03 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2008, 03:06:31 PM by Jas »

The Examiner
6 April 2008

Editorial: Brandon H Presents Case to the Supreme Court

Fmr. Sen. Brandon H has presented his case to the Supreme Court. Brandon is seeking to overturn the decision of SoFA Mr. Moderate to replace the vacancy of Fmr. Sen. Jake using the terms of the Proportional Representation Act (the vacancy replacement terms of which were inserted to gain Brandon’s support for the measure) rather than through special election in District 4.

Brandon’s First Point
Brandon has submitted two central arguments in support of his position. Firstly, he states that:
when a vacancy occurs to one of the current Class B Senators, under the current policies of the SoFA, the voters of that district are losing their right to elect their district Senator and they never did have a chance to help elect any of the other 4 Senators. The result is that they have no say at all over any of the current class B Senators."

This is though a political argument; not a legal one. While the core point is essentially true (if someone overstated) it doesn’t address the legal standing of the PR Act. Even if the court agrees with the statement as presented, they are given no legal reason why they should question the legality of the SoFA’s actions.

Brandon’s Second Point
Brandon’s second argument is that should a decision be made to revert to District elections, this could prove a difficult, even impossible, transition. He argues that a switch back would create a position whereby:
we should be able to elect Senators with the PR Method, and fill vacancies with regular District elections."

He posits that such a situation would create difficulties because no districts would exist to hold such elections and that drawing those districts could be impossible because multiple Senators may share a state.

Again, this is a political argument from Brandon rather than a legal one and so suffers from the same problems as his primary argument. Notwithstanding that, this argument also has the significant problem of being purely hypothetical and completely avoidable. The main problem is that the central tenet upon which it stands – that vacancy filling immediately before the proposed change back would be under the terms of the PR Act – wouldn’t necessarily be the case at all. This would only be so, if the hypothetical future Act changing the system back allows it to be the case. The argument is hugely speculative, dealing with non-existent and yet avoidable problems.

Conclusion
Brandon makes a reasonable argument when he says that maybe District Senators should be replaced by District voters. The problem though is that the argument has no legal basis. This is not to say that a legal case against the SoFA’s decision can’t be made - the outgoing SoFA, Lewis Trondheim, demonstrated that a legal argument may exist to challenge the vacancy filling as has occurred. In the absence of an argument based on law, rather than politics (despite that Brandon’s argument may have political merit), it is difficult to envisage the Court deciding to accept Brandon’s argument.

----

In Brief

Moderator Role and Status Bill
The Moderator Role and Status Bill, drafted by AG Peter Bell to address Atlasian law regarding IP checks has been introduced onto the Senate agenda by Sen. Hashemite (NLC-D2).

Northeast
Mr. Justice Ernest has drafted the Eminent Domain / Property Tax Valuation Linkage Act which aims to provide “an incentive against people trying to have their property underassessed for property tax”. The proposal would link the price paid for properties acquired through eminent domain to assessments made for the purposes of property taxation.

Midwest
Lt. Governor Speed of Sound has put forward the Because We're Worth it, Too Act which seeks to replicate his Senate proposed X, at least for the specific purposes of the Midwest, by automatically placing matters agreed to by the Senate for federal territories onto the Midwest’s legislative agenda on the approval of the Midwestern Governor or Lt. Governor.

Mideast
Lt Gov. Ben Constine has proposed the Voter Information Act which requires the administration to give notice of upcoming elections.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #192 on: April 07, 2008, 12:18:19 PM »

The Examiner
7 April 2008

Northeast Budget Proposed

Northeast Governor AndrewCT has put forward the first outline budget produced in Atlasia in recent times. The Governor has published the proposal for public scrutiny with a view to eventually passing it in a regional vote.

Also in the Northeast, Mr. Moderate has proposed two propositions. The Public School Choice Act proposes to allow student attendance of schools outside their school district; while the Smoking Age Standardization Act seeks to set the legal smoking age in the region at 19.

----

Brandon H v DoFA

Chief Justice Bullmoose has asked the plaintiff, Brandon H, to clarify whether any legal precedent or statutary citations will be forthcoming with his argument (as discussed in yesterday’s Examiner Editorial). The question may be seen to support the view that Brandon’s argument may have been too light on legal fundamentals.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #193 on: April 08, 2008, 12:09:57 AM »

Letter to the Editor: Ebowed Steps Up to the Plate

Just a quick note I wanted to throw in. Obviously, I havent exactly gotten along with this Adminstration. (at almost every level) I just wanted to reach across to a certain member, long time strange bedfellow of mine, Vice-President Ebowed. Since swearing into the duty of watching over the senate, he has kept a keen eye on senate action and procedure, even at times catching things the PPT missed, in an effort to keep a smooth running senate. In the wake of the resignation of Verily, the most recent PPT, Ebowed almost immediately took control of all PPT actions without interruption in senate flow. Obviously it has just been a small amount of time, but I think we have no reason to believe this will change. This is done in between constant interaction with other members of the Admin, as well as the public on all current events. I have no skill in ending my writings, so Ill just say this:

"Porcey, youre doing a hell of a job."

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #194 on: April 08, 2008, 12:15:31 AM »

Though I've had my [ahem] disagreements with our most revered dear VIce President, I'll second that without reservation.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #195 on: April 08, 2008, 01:26:10 PM »

The Examiner
8 April 2008

PPT Resigns

The President pro tempore of the Senate, Verily (NLC-NE) has resigned. Sen. Verily explained that he felt that he hadn’t been able to give the position the attention it deserved recently due to his upcoming wedding. The resignation was met with a series of well wishes for Verily.

A new PPT Declaration Thread has been opened for nominations. Sen. meekermariner (PLP-ME) has indicated that he would be willing to take the position but stopped short of nominating himself.

----

National Policy Standard Amendment

The National Policy Standard Amendment has passed the Senate by a vote of 7-2-1. (Senators Hughento and Sam Spade voted against; Sen. friz abstained.) The outgoing PPT, Verily, gave notice to Atlasia’s Governors that the Amendment was now to go forward for regional ratification votes. Voting has opened in the Midwest; Pacific; and Northeast regions.

In order to be ratified, the Amendment will need to be approved by 4 of the 5 regions. Early returns indicate that this may be difficult. In the Pacific, the establishment of the JCP have turned out against the proposal and so it may be expected to be defeated there. The first votes in the Midwest, by the Governor (ilikeverin) and Lt. Governor (Speed of Sound) were both cast in favour of the measure. In the Northeast, the early tally is divided 2-1 in favour.

----

BrandonH v DoFA

SoFA, Mr. Moderate has issued his defence to the Supreme Court. The Secretary re-iterated the same position he outlined during his confirmation process that the matter is clear-cut under a strictly literal reading of the law.

Justices bullmoose and Ernest have both raised their own questions of the parties relating to the status of the DoFA as an executive agency capable of issuing regulations and the Constitutional position regarding retrospective laws.

----

Bacon King confirms candidacy

Sen. Bacon King (NLC-D3) has confirmed that he will be contesting the upcoming Senate mid-terms. The decision led South Park Conservative to withdraw from the race, in line with his earlier promise.

----

SoFA Amendment

The Amendment to make the SoFA an electable position has been introduced to the Senate floor. The proposal was drawn up by Sen. meekermariner following the replacement of Lewis Trondhiem as SoFA with Mr. Moderate.

Sen. Hashemite (NLC-D2) has stated that he feels the “idea has merit”. Sen. CultureKing (JCP-D5) suggested that he may oppose this dilution in Presidential power. The debate also sees the first comment by President Keystone Phil in a legislative debate since his election, wherin he expressed the view that the position should not be elected.

----

Senate News Round-Up

The Sane Automobile Policy Bill is set to pass the Senate after receiving a majority of votes in favour.

The F-22 Catch 22 Bill is also at final vote and seems set to quickly gain the necessary approvals to pass.

The Network Neutrality Bill, drafted by VP Ebowed, has been introcuded for Senate debate. The bill seeks to legislate such that:
No Internet service provider may charge a discriminating fee, intentionally offer a discriminating speed of access, nor bar access to online material on the basis of its content (excepting illegal pornographic content) to any of its users.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2008, 01:30:13 PM »

Letter to the Editor: Ebowed Steps Up to the Plate

Just a quick note I wanted to throw in. Obviously, I havent exactly gotten along with this Adminstration. (at almost every level) I just wanted to reach across to a certain member, long time strange bedfellow of mine, Vice-President Ebowed. Since swearing into the duty of watching over the senate, he has kept a keen eye on senate action and procedure, even at times catching things the PPT missed, in an effort to keep a smooth running senate. In the wake of the resignation of Verily, the most recent PPT, Ebowed almost immediately took control of all PPT actions without interruption in senate flow. Obviously it has just been a small amount of time, but I think we have no reason to believe this will change. This is done in between constant interaction with other members of the Admin, as well as the public on all current events. I have no skill in ending my writings, so Ill just say this:

"Porcey, youre doing a hell of a job."

Many thanks for your letter. Smiley

I'd like to take this opportunity to encourage Examiner readers to please feel free to write in with their thoughts on any matter of Atlasian news.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #197 on: April 09, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
« Edited: April 11, 2008, 08:16:06 AM by Jas »

The Examiner
9 April 2008

Court removes Wixted

In its judgment in the case of Brandon H v Department of Forum Affairs, the Supreme Court, in a unanimous decision, has ordered that the selection of Colin Wixted as the replacement for Fmr. Sen. Jake was unconstitutional. The judgment, delivered by Associate Justice Ernest rejected the plaintiff’s arguments and instead ruled that section 18 of the Proportional Representation Act – which allow parties to nominate replacement Senators – was in contravention of a constitutional requirement that seats must be filled by election.

Ironically, the section was included in the Act specifically to elicit the support of the plaintiff, Brandon H – support which turned out not to be forthcoming. The Court has ruled that in the effective absence of the provision, section 20 of the Act applies. This calls for a nationwide election to fill vacancies arising for these Senate seats – which was the original proposed plan for how to fill vacancies under the Act.

The Attorney General has indicated that he is examining the judgment with a view to producing legislation to address issues arising.

Special Election
The SoFA, Mr. Moderate has given notice that a special election will be held to fill the newfound vacancy. As of yet, Xahar, South Park Conservative and Colin Wixted have put themselves forward for election.

----

PLP Disintegration

PLP Chairman, Sensei has resigned as party leader and has stated that he is giving consideration to leaving the party altogether. The resignation follows in the wake of a series of membership defections over the past few weeks. Party Vice Chairman, Xahar, was quick to call a convention with the top item on the agenda being to fill the void at the top of the party leadership.

----

Xahar v bgwah

PLP Vice Chair, Xahar has lodged a case with the Supreme Court stating: “I intend to sue the Governor of the Pacific for his failure to appoint a Lieutenant Governor, as constitutionally mandated.” The case though has yet to be accepted by the court as there are doubts about whether the Supreme Court is an appropriate venue for the proposed hearing.

----

In the Senate

The Abolition of the Penny Bill has failed 3-5-2, with only Sens. Verily; hughento; and friz voting in favour.

The F22 Catch 22 Bill is set to pass the Senate 8-1-1, with Sen. Sam Spade voting against. The Bill seeks to end funding for the development for a naval version of the F-22 fighter and the F-35 joint strike fighter in favour of paying down the national debt.

The Sane Automobile Policy Bill has passed the Senate by a vote of 7-3 in favour. The bill sought to change CAFE standards.

The School Standards Reform Bill is now at final vote. The bill seeks to set standards for elimentary, middle and high schools in terms of both hours schooling and subject provision.

A Constitutional Amendment to Prohibit Conscription has been introduced onto the Senate floor. The Amendment would add a new Constitutional clause in the following terms: "No person may be required to serve in defense of the country against their will."
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #198 on: April 09, 2008, 01:40:26 PM »

sections 18 and 19 of the Proportional Representation Act – which allow parties to nominate replacement Senators – were in contravention of a constitutional requirement that seats must be filled by election.

In fact, section 19 of the PRA was not declared unconstitutional, but it needs a constitutional section 18 to operate.  If the Senate were to amend section 18 of the PRA so as to have the major party in question conduct a special election at the time required by Article I Section 4 Clause 5 and the Eleventh Amendment, then such an amended section 18 would not run afoul of the decision in Brandon H v Department of Forum Affairs and section 19 would be able to operate.

I considered in part III B of my opinion the option of limiting section 18 to just a party run special election, instead of striking section 18 altogether, but I was unwilling to write law for the Senate.  If the Senate wishes to have parties conducting special elections under rules established by a party, then the Senate can make that choice itself.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #199 on: April 10, 2008, 01:06:05 PM »

The Examiner
10 April 2008

Presidents Veto CAFE Standards Bill

The President has vetoed his second bill. The Sane Automobile Policy Bill sought to change CAFE standards and implement a continuous improvement requirement in those standards over the next decade. As with his first veto, the President declined to voice his objections to the bill. Sen. CultureKing (JCP-D5) has motioned to override the veto.

F-22 Act Repealed
The President did though also sign his first bill into law. The F-22 Catch 22 Act removes funding for development of specified military hardware development projects in favour of reducing the national debt.

--

Xahar v bgwah

Chief Justice bullmoose has denied Xahar’s application for trial. Xahar had sought to sue the Pacifican Governor, bgwah for failure to appoint a Lt. Governor. The Chief Justice denied the application for failure to exhaust available regional remedies and pointed out that the Governor could appoint someone to hear Xahar’s case in the regional context.

Bgwah proceeded to appoint Vice President Ebowed to hear the case.

--

National Policy Standardisation Amendment

The National Policy Standardisation Amendment seems unlikely to gain the requisite 4 region majority support necessary for ratification. Despite narrow leads in the Midwest and Mideast; the Amendment is almost certain to fail in the Pacific and is 2 votes down in the Northeast. The Southeast has yet to open polls.

--

In Brief

Special Election
Lewis Trondheim has joined the race for April 11 Special Election. It's expected to be a close contest between Colin Wixted and Lewis for the seat.

PLP
HappyWarrior has become the favourite to succeed Sensei as PLP Chair having been nominated and seconded, with nobody else stepping forward to seek the position.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies