The Examiner: Election Tracker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:45:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Examiner: Election Tracker
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 80
Author Topic: The Examiner: Election Tracker  (Read 193122 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: April 26, 2008, 07:32:11 PM »

I certainly have gotten a tad behind on the procedural stuff, but a lot of it is hardly anyone voting.

Of the 7 pieces of legislation on the floor, 4 warrant procedural action as either the voting time has expired (Moderator Role and Status Bill; Return to September 10th Bill; Constitutional Amendment to Prohibit Conscription) or the final vote is overdue for opening (Constitutional Amendment to Elect the SoFA).

It is the case that there has been slowness arising out of Senators not voting (the Gun Control Amendment being the prime example). However, you would have to concede that you yourself haven't voted on any of the matters still technically open for vote (Constitutional Amendment on Gun Control; Amendment to the Taiwan Relations Act; Network Neutrality Bill) or indeed on any of the matters which the voting period has expired (Moderator Role and Status Bill; Return to September 10th Bill; Constitutional Amendment to Prohibit Conscription).
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #351 on: April 27, 2008, 06:19:30 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2008, 12:30:09 PM by Jas »

The Examiner
26 April 2008

Ernest "For great Justice"

Supreme Court Justice Ernest has declared the formation of an exploratory committee, testing the waters for a possible presidential run. In a sideswipe at the sitting administration he announced: "I hadn't planned on running for President in June, but since it appears that the job is far less busy than I believed, I'm considering it."

Ernest has encourgaed persons interesting in joining the ticket to make contact with him, and so far, South Park Conservative has jumped at the opportunity.

Responding to remarks characterising his campaign as a 'joke candidacy', Ernest replied:
"At the moment, a joke candidacy is all I'm willing to commit to.  If I were to make a serious candidacy, it would be because I knew I had the time to be a serious President.  I don't plan on becoming yet another President who doesn't complete his term because he doesn't have the time to do the job properly."

----

Progressive Primary to Return

PLP leader, EarlAW has decided to again run a Progressive Primary for willing Presidential candidates. Interested candidates must declare their candidacy by 19 May. Primaries will be held on a regional basis, starting with the Midwest (23-25 May), leading to a convention on 10 June.

JCP leader, bgwah has criticised the delegates system as "unnecessary and complicated".

----

HappyWarrior Proposals

ME Gov. HappyWarrior has submitted two propositions for the upcoming regional vote. His Emergency Contraception Bill moves to guarantee access for women over the age of 18 to emergency contraception without prescription; and access for women under 18 to emergency contraception with a prescription. The Governor also proposes the Mental Law Gun Ban which seeks to prevent the "mentally ill" and "mentally unstable" from purchasing firearms.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #352 on: April 27, 2008, 11:54:54 AM »

JPC leader, bgwah has criticised the delegates system as "unnecessary and complicated".

Typo.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #353 on: April 27, 2008, 12:19:36 PM »

The senate was far from inactive when I was there, we need the old senators back
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #354 on: April 27, 2008, 12:32:04 PM »

I, for one, haven't voted these past few days because I'm not sure when I'm not a senator anymore.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #355 on: April 27, 2008, 12:34:21 PM »

I, for one, haven't voted these past few days because I'm not sure when I'm not a senator anymore.

New Senate sessions begin at noon on the first Friday of the month following the election.
Your term as a Senator therefore continues until noon, Friday 2 May.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #356 on: April 27, 2008, 12:50:57 PM »

New Senate sessions begin at noon on the first Friday of the month following the election.

Ah, gracias.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #357 on: April 27, 2008, 01:04:26 PM »

Ah, gracias.

De nada.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #358 on: April 27, 2008, 08:56:11 PM »

Douchebag.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #359 on: April 28, 2008, 04:55:31 AM »

I've been without internet access for a week, my apologies but it was unpreventable. I'll also be laying low for the next week, as real-world concerns are taking over.

BTW, can the Examiner look into the DoEA China panel's lack of movement?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #360 on: April 28, 2008, 05:18:32 AM »

BTW, can the Examiner look into the DoEA China panel's lack of movement?

It was reaffirmed to me a few weeks ago that the Administration was not willing to change it's policy of non-cooperation, so unfortunately, asking questions directly would be a waste of time.

I imagine simply by raising the matter here, it may help instigate some movement. If not, I'll look into it shortly.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #361 on: April 28, 2008, 09:08:45 AM »

I'm just serving as the friendly neighborhood spellchecker.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #362 on: April 28, 2008, 11:45:11 AM »

The Examiner
28 April 2008

Senate Back in Business

Emerging from its recent mini-break, the Senate has been busy clearing up its ongoing legislative agenda.

The Constitutional Amendment to Allow Gun Control is set to fail. The Amendment proposed to change the existing text "The right to keep and bear fire-arms and low-potency explosives shall not be infringed." to "The right to keep and detonate low-potency explosives shall not be infringed." Thus allowing for restrictions to be put in place on the right to keep and bear fire-arms. Though there were 2 votes against (Sam Spade, Meeker); it is the series of abstention votes (Lewis Trondheim, Hashemite, CultureKing, Hughento) which have sunk the Amendment.

The Constitutional Amendment to Elect the SoFA is being strongly rebuffed by Senators, currently losing it’s vote 1-7, with only it’s proposer and author, PPT Meeker, voting in favour.

The Vice President’s Network Neutrality Bill will be presented to the President shortly following a strong vote in favour by the Senate (currently 8-1 in favour). The bill proposes that “No Internet service provider may charge a discriminating fee, intentionally offer a discriminating speed of access, nor bar access to online material on the basis of its content to any of its users.”

Sen. Verily’s  Amendment to the Taiwan Relations Act, which seeks to add the Kinmen and Matsu islands to the definition of Taiwan for the purposes of the Act, has also received the strong endorsement of the Senate (currently having 8 votes in favour).

----

DWTL Proposes LSD Law

DWTL has proposed the Decriminalization of LSD Proposition. The proposition would render possession and consumption of LSD lawful, but continue to prohibit and punich the sale of same. In submitting his proposition, DWTL said “I propose we pass the bill the Senate passed”, however, his proposition includes a section which wasn’t in the bill which passed the Senate. Section 3 of DWTL’s proposition does not correspond with anything in the original bill.

Section 3 indeed may give rise to some confusion. Following section 1, which sets punishment for the “sale of LSD”, section 3 states that “Personal sale of LSD shall be permitted”, but doesn’t define how this is different to the crime in section 1. The section states that pharmacies will be allowed to sell LSD and “must charge a tax of 30%”. Taxation raised is to go towards road construction.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #363 on: April 28, 2008, 02:08:04 PM »

The section states that pharmacies will be allowed to sell LSD and “must charge a tax of 30%”. Taxation raised is to go towards road construction.

For a smooth trip! LOL
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #364 on: April 28, 2008, 04:13:40 PM »

Nowhere in Section 1 does it say that the sale is illegal, in fact to the contrary it outlines that sale is legal if both the customer and the seller are at least 18 years of age.  The tax section was longer and more complicated in the bill I originally proposed in the senate, however, as the bill comes for a vote without debate or amendments, I decided to uncomplicate it.  Now, its simple, tax on LSD is 30% is sold in a pharmacy, the tax goes to roadway construction however the region deems necessary.  I fail to see why there would be confusion, if there was I hope it is cleared up now.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #365 on: April 28, 2008, 09:41:24 PM »

Just to let everyone know my emergency contraception bill is not MAINLY targeted around the age thing, though it does of course play a prominent role.  The main point of it is to ensure that pharmacists do not deny it to women in need of it based on their own personal beliefs.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #366 on: April 28, 2008, 10:57:33 PM »

Just to let everyone know my emergency contraception bill is not MAINLY targeted around the age thing, though it does of course play a prominent role.  The main point of it is to ensure that pharmacists do not deny it to women in need of it based on their own personal beliefs.

A woman under 18 should be able to get emergency contraception without a prescription.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #367 on: April 29, 2008, 02:43:58 AM »

Nowhere in Section 1 does it say that the sale is illegal, in fact to the contrary it outlines that sale is legal if both the customer and the seller are at least 18 years of age.

Section 1:
3.) The sale of LSD to anyone 18 years or older shall be punished by a fine of $1,000 for the first offense and $5,000 for each subsequent offense. The sale of LSD to persons under 18 years of age shall continue to be punished in accordance with current law.

On a plain reading of the above, it seems quite clear that there are penalties for the sale of LSD to both over 18s and minors. Is that not the case?

The tax section was longer and more complicated in the bill I originally proposed in the senate, however, as the bill comes for a vote without debate or amendments, I decided to uncomplicate it.  Now, its simple, tax on LSD is 30% is sold in a pharmacy, the tax goes to roadway construction however the region deems necessary.

The tax is 30% of what? The cost price? sale price? Something else?

I fail to see why there would be confusion, if there was I hope it is cleared up now.

I think confusion arises because Section 1 (3) and Section 3 (1) seem to be directly contradictory.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #368 on: April 29, 2008, 12:25:39 PM »

The section states that pharmacies will be allowed to sell LSD and “must charge a tax of 30%”. Taxation raised is to go towards road construction.

For a smooth trip! LOL

*Rimshot!*
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #369 on: April 29, 2008, 12:58:35 PM »

The Examiner
29 April 2008

Ernest to run “serious campaign”

Associate Justice Ernest has announced that he believes he has found his running mate for the upcoming Presidential election and that he believes he will be mounting a serious campaign. The announcement means that Ernest will now be considered a genuine contender for the White House, and will garner increasing interest in his running-mate selection.

----

PLP Walk Out Continues

The PLP’s slow journey to extinction took another step today with the defection of Ben Constine, who has followed the recent trend in registering as an Independent. The loss leaves the PLP with a largely nominal list of members with very few active and willing participants.

----

SPC Unwelcome in Progressive Primary

Following South Park Conservative’s application to join the voter rolls for the Progressive Primary, he was quickly rejected in a move instigated by Primary Chairmna, EarlAW. The motion to reject the application was quickly garnered strong cross-party support.

----

President Proposes Change to Network Neutrality Bill

The President has invoked the 19th Amendment and proposed an amendment to legislation presented for his signature.

The Network Neutrality Bill, as presented, sought to flatly deny Internet Service Providers (ISPs) the right to bar users from accessing materials on the basis of their content. The President’s proposal seeks to alter this to allow ISPs to deny access to illegal materials.

The 19th Amendment allows the President to propose an amended version of a bill presented for signature to the Senate for reconsideration.

The Examiner would like to express that it welcomes the move by the President, not necessarily for the content of his proposal, but for his constructive engagement with the Senate’s legislative agenda in this manner.

----

Other Senate News

The Constitutional Amendment to Allow Gun Control has failed, as expected, by a vote of 3-2-5. Similarly the Amendment to Elect the SoFA has also failed badly, losing 1-7-2.

The Senate though has passed the Amendment to the Taiwan Relations Act by a vote of 8-0-2.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #370 on: April 30, 2008, 01:46:45 PM »

The Examiner
30 April 2008

Ben Constine sets up LDP

Following his defection from the PLP, Ben Constine has established the Liberal Democratic Party with a reasonably comprehensive defined attitude on many policies. Nobody has yet signed up to the LDP cause, something which could cripple the prospective new party should it faiul to gain any early traction.

----

China Panel

SoEA Masterjedi has criticised the Senate for it's lack of activity regarding his panel on China. He stated: "I have been keeping an eye on it but there really has been no activity. The next Senate shall get a shot at it, if not the President and the DoEA shall move forward on its own."

The comment follows enquiries from Sen. Hughento as to why the Secretary had not progressed matters with the panel.

----

Network Neutrality Bill

Sen. Verily has applied to send the Network Neutrality Bill back to the President as it was when it passed the Senate. The President had sought to amend the bill, but Verily's motion appears to have the solid backing of the chamber.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #371 on: April 30, 2008, 01:53:20 PM »

LDP. Oh dear. Well at least I'll know who to go to if I need to bribe someone!
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #372 on: May 01, 2008, 12:09:50 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2008, 12:14:32 PM by Jas »

The Examiner
1 May 2008

Recruitment Committee to be Formed

President Keystone Phil has announced that he is setting up the Recruitment for Atlasia Committee. According to the President:
 “Atlasia has been in a bit of a drought when it comes to fresh faces being involved in our politics. Unless we start recruiting new people/bringing back some of the legends on Atlasian politics, we are doomed.”

The President outlined that he hopes the RAC will “discuss and implement ideas to bring these people to Atlasia”. A series of Atlasians have decided to put themselves forward for positions on the committee.

President: “Outside Interests” Hate Administration
Following a barb by Midwest Lt. Gov. Speed of Sound regarding the perceived failure of the administration’s China Panel. The President responded cuttingly:
 “There you have it, folks. The outside interests that are so set on making my administration look bad come right out and say that that's more important than seeing Atlasia succeed. How can someone hate this administration so much to say that they want something to fail just like the China Panel seemingly did? How can you say you don't want a rebirth in Atlasia?

It's such a shame that so many here are motivated by irrational hatred.”

----

President’s Amendment Rejected

The President’s proposed amendment to the Network Neutrality Bill has been rejected by the Senate, with all 8 voting Senators rejecting the President’s draft. The sponsor of the bill, Sen. Verily, shall now decide whether to send the bill directly back to the President or to resume debate on the matter.

----

LDP Criticism

The Liberal Democratic Party of Ben Constine has found itself exposed to a steady stream of criticism and scepticism from the Atlasian public, questioning both policy matters (foreign and domestic), its viability and its name. LDP leader Ben Constine clearly has his work cut out.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #373 on: May 01, 2008, 12:25:42 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2008, 12:38:22 PM by Jas »

The Examiner Interview
1 May 2008

Today, The Examiner will publish (in the first of a two parts) an interview with ex-Presidential candidate Polnut.

---

Dropping Out

You ended your Presidential Campaign rather abruptly. Can you take us through the reasoning behind that decision?

PN: It was publicly abrupt, but I had been having conversations with several supporters, and my running mate for some time before making the decision public.

The reasons I gave were truly my reasons. While I didn't feel personal ill-will, I did feel that my program would be facing significant hostility. I think my presence was the key factor. Many people didn't feel I deserved to be president, despite what the public were saying, but many of those clearly were happier with a similar agenda being pushed forward by someone who wasn't me. So I ended the campaign because I hoped that the progressive agenda would have an easier time without me behind it.

A Polnut Presidency

What would you say were the key elements of your progressive agenda and how would they have manifested themselves under a Polnut Presidency?

PN: The key element was to engage the citizens as the integral part of Atlasia. I have noted that the whole thing seems full of self-aggrandising egomaniacs.

You know the realities and limitations of Atlasia, but just because the reality of the thing is fictional, doesn't mean that issues don't matter. One thing I tried to do during both campaigns was to emphasise that being a progressive was not about left or right, it was literally about moving forward. I was interested in pursuing a policy agenda that I hoped would inspire openess and challenge long-held views. But my hope was to not have me as President, or the Senate drive the agenda, but to have as much citizen involvement as possible. I wanted to make every Atlasian citizen a passionate advocate for their views. When you sit back, and are encouraged to particpate only at elections, it's no surprise that the same people run for and win these offices. New voices are not encouraged in Atlasia, you saw this with what was disparagingly called the "flood of new red avatars", these were enthusiastic people who wanted to get involved, but were slapped down. The policies of the past seemed more interested in the how of Atlasia, not the what. The how is important, but there's no point in elections or politics without issues and debate.

I have no idea how it would have turned out. You can never guarantee anything, I was open to all suggestions from anyone who wanted to give it.

Citizen Involvement

Few would argue with the benefits of encouraging increased involvement from the Atlasian citizenry. But how exactly do you believe that this can be achieved?

PN: I have always advocated the use of plebicites, advocated the use of citizen initiated legislation, and in general I hoped to foster an environment where the citizens were at the top of the Atlasian governmental tree.

You can create new voting methods of course, but quite simply, if people feel they matter, and their voices are heard, they're going to participate. If they consider their only role to vote, and their leaders do nothing to inspire them, then I'm not surprised people don't bother voting. It's actually quite a simple thing, but Atlasia is too much about the procedural.

Citizens today do vote regularly on regional plebiscites covering myriad issues as well as on Constitutional Amendments. Citizen initiated legislation is the fundamental to regional government and is now an option at federal level. All this not to mention the opportunity to vote in the numerous Atlasian elections and the role of party politics. What more can Atlasia do to engage its citizens?

PN: There certainly are options, I don't believe that citizens take enough opportunities to exercise them. My belief is that the citizenry won't engage fully until there's something to engage with. I know that sounds circular. What I mean is, the last great debate in Atlasia was over the new voting system. But once that topic's over with, it'll probably be a while until the federal electorate is that engaged again, even taking into account of the elections to come.

Unless a greater effort is made by the federal institutions to urge the citizenry to engage, then I don't see it happening. Yes, I'm a liberal, I believe in offering choice. But what you've suggested are great opportunities, the question to me isn't, What can we create to give them that opportunity? It should be "Why aren't they taking up the opportunities that already exist?" I understand that my CIL appeared on the surface to be far more stringent, but the whole idea was to promote an environment where the citizens want to engage. But you can't make someone want to do something. I think the federal institutions, namely the Senate, should be asking the people for their help and guidance, as opposed to the other way around.

Attitudes to Newbies

Is it though evidently not the case that Atlasia is closed to "new voices". In just about every branch of government change is quite common. Regional governments are crying out for both propositions and candidates for election. The recent Senate elections saw all 5 incumbents seek re-election, but only 2 re-elected. Only 2 sitting Presidents have ever been re-elected, etc.

Arguably your own career is evidence of Atlasia's openness to new voices - taking the Governorship of the Mideast only fleetingly after joining and your mounting of a strong challenge for the Presidency, both point to a general willingness to embrace "change".

Would it not be fair to say that the reasons people may be "slapped down" are related to their character or policies rather than their 'newness'?

PN: It all depends how you define 'new voices'. I probably over-stated that. I think what's sad, and probably also key are those who preside as self-proclaimed protectors of Atlasia. There was an influx over the last say.... 9 months. Generally they skewed younger, and quite left. What was evident from one great Atlasian was a condescending attitude.

I don't think we can really say anything about a person's "character", and their policies really did not seem out of whack. I percieved a certain hostility, OK, they came into Atlasia unknowledgeable - and stumbled but they came in enthusiastic, and as a whole there are some Atlasians who do not welcome new people readily. I'm pleased about the results of the new system, which I have spoken about being converted to. However these new people arent exactly new.

I think my case was an extreme one. When I arrived, I kept noticing that my region had no Governor, so I thought "I'll give it a try", and made all the mistakes I probably could. The fact that I was elected unanimously pretty much shows that the Mideast was desperate. My first presidential run was a shock to me, it was quite draining. I think, however, that the second is the important one. I think the strong reaction from some establishment figures was based on shock that I was doing so well. I hadn't been vetted, I simply hadn't been around long enough. I knew those people had concerns about my record, and I understood why. I think I was fortunate to have been around during a time of quite strong disquiet in Atlasia, my message was about changing the focus of people, de-centralising authority away from a few people in the Senate, so I think that message was successful, rather than it being a "new" person presenting it.

Doesn't this go to show, however, that it is the character and message which persons bring to Atlasia which is of importance, rather than their just being new?

PN: I take your point, but I don't think character and message don't necessarily go hand in hand. I could have a wonderful message, but then be a total bastard. It's all about perceived character. There are plenty of young eager people in Atlasia, and I don't think that their "character", as that phrase is often used, is of a kind to bring themselves or Atlasia into disrepute. I put more faith in the ballot box, if the people want to give these new people a go, then they should. I'm not saying that closed-minded condescending comments are enough to sway voters, but I think they go beyond constructive criticism, and look more like spite. Political structures change, even in my short history the political landscape changed quite markedly. There are virtually no viable political conservatives any more, which I don't see as a good thing for democracy. Whenever a new government is created, much like a parent raising a child, once a certain point has been reached, the time comes to let go. Democracy is a living, breathing animal - and new blood needs to be injected, and fresh air brought in - and you may not always get it right, but stagnation is death. Atlasia is not so delicate that it needs to be handled with kid gloves. Having said that I don't see anyone or anything that could destroy the country. 

Regrets?

Looking back, do you still believe it was the correct decision to drop out?

PN: Politics is always full of shoulda-coulda-woulda's. Looking at the state of things now, perhaps I did make a mistake in leaving the race. Having said that there's no time for regret. I made the decision then, that I truly believed to the right thing at the time. You can't second guess everything you do, you'd never get out of bed if that were the case.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #374 on: May 01, 2008, 12:35:25 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2008, 12:38:02 PM by Jas »

The concluding part of the Polnut interview will be published tomorrow.

As always, any persons interested in being the subject of an Examiner Interview should contact the editor directly by PM.

The Examiner would also like to announce that we are exploring the possibility of publishing occasional op-ed pieces from interested persons. Again, contact should be made with the editor by PM.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies