The Examiner: Election Tracker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:00:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Examiner: Election Tracker
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 80
Author Topic: The Examiner: Election Tracker  (Read 193118 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: June 30, 2008, 11:45:30 AM »

The Examiner
30 June 2008

Torie Wins Pacific Run-Off; 2 Year JCP Winning Streak Ends

Atlasian newbie, Torie has triumphed in the Pacific Senate run-off election against JCP incumbent Sen. Friz to take the seat held by the JCP since November 2006. In a statement following his election, the Senator-elect thanked each of the 5 voters who preferenced him in what he described as a "Quixotic Quest" to the Senate and expressed his hope to work with the incoming President on electoral and systemic reform in Atlasia. Outgoing Sen. Friz has yet to comment on the race, but JCP leader bgwah expressed his congratulations to Torie, who becomes the first Atlasian to defeat an incumbent JCP office holder.

----

Southeast: No Sign Yet of the Bottom of the Barrel

Southeast residents in a suprising showing of action have sought to remove from office the man they elected Governor but one week ago with 100% of the vote in one of the more farcical elections of recent times. The campaign to unseat Gov. KingoftheBenchPress, orchestrated by wanabee Senator DWTL, has struggled to attract the 6 voters needed to bring the matter to a formal vote, largely due to the absence of 6 active Southeasterns generally.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #426 on: June 30, 2008, 03:10:23 PM »

Let this be the first sign that the Southeast is back in business!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #427 on: July 01, 2008, 12:29:10 PM »

Torie, who becomes the first Atlasian to defeat an incumbent JCP office holder.

I was an incumbent JCP office holder when I was defeated by five Atlasians, four of them not JCP members.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #428 on: July 01, 2008, 12:36:16 PM »

I was an incumbent JCP office holder when I was defeated by five Atlasians, four of them not JCP members.

Perhaps "Pacifican" should be added?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #429 on: July 01, 2008, 12:39:02 PM »

Perhaps "Pacifican" should be added?

Or an asterisk that Lewis was not originally elected as a member of the JCP.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #430 on: July 01, 2008, 01:02:27 PM »

The Examiner
1 July 2008

Sam Spade v SoFA

Mr Justice Ernest has issued the majority judgment in the case of Sam Spade v. SoFA holding that Sam Spade won the Southeast Senate election but that by virtue of his deregistration and re-registration a change to Sam’s legal personality was effected that nullifies his claim to the Senate seat. According to Mr Justice Ernest:
“Thus, for the purposes of the law, the Sam Spade that registered on June 23, 2008 is not the same legal person as the Sam Spade that deregistered on June 15, 2008 and thus is not victor of the election.” The judgment was approved by Mr. Justice opebo. (A partly dissenting judgement of Chief Justice bullmoose is awaited.)

The judgement hinges on what The Examiner considers to be a rather tortuous interpretation of the effects of section 2 of the Deregistration Act. Your correspondent also believes that a sound reading of section 1 of that Act precludes the idea that deregistration and re-registration affect a persons legal personality (as the court have adjudged), merely whether or not they are to be listed on the voter roll.

From a practical political perspective however, the effect of the decision is that a Special Election shall be held to fill what has been deemed to be the vacant Southeast seat.

----

President Ebowed Gets Down to Business

In contrast to the Senate’s comatose state, President Ebowed has decided to cut them out of the loop and get on with a one man legislating mission, issuing no fewer than 7 executive orders in quick succession dealing with a range of issues from capital punishment to faith-based initiatives to asbestos to safe injection sites. As of yet the Senate (or indeed nobody at all) has made no response.

----

Southeast: DWTL Takes Charge

DWTL has taken over as de facto Southeastern leader, declaring himself best placed to open up the voting booth to remove Governor KingoftheBenchPress and setting the rules on how and when he will issue a declaration. Due to the lethargy of the region though, he may well escape having to justify his decisions before a court of law.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #431 on: July 01, 2008, 01:05:30 PM »

In contrast to the Senate’s comatose state, President Ebowed has decided to cut them out of the loop and get on with a one man legislating mission, issuing no fewer than 7 executive orders in quick succession dealing with a range of issues from capital punishment to faith-based initiatives to asbestos to safe injection sites.

yea bro

dats how i like to do things
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #432 on: July 01, 2008, 01:12:17 PM »

In contrast to the Senate’s comatose state, President Ebowed has decided to cut them out of the loop and get on with a one man legislating mission, issuing no fewer than 7 executive orders in quick succession dealing with a range of issues from capital punishment to faith-based initiatives to asbestos to safe injection sites. As of yet the Senate (or indeed nobody at all) has made no response.

You will likely see an official response coming sometime around noon on July 4.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #433 on: July 01, 2008, 01:17:31 PM »

Except that it is clearly nothing of the kind.

If there isn't a stronger constitutional basis for the Deregistration Act, then clearly it should have been declared unconstitutional by the Court or, failing that, repealed by the Senate.

I'll introduce a law to that effect as soon as the term starts.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #434 on: July 01, 2008, 01:27:01 PM »

The decision effectively concludes that I am now a second-class citizen in the view of Atlasia.  Same thing will apply to deregistered citizens in the future.

Naturally, I am not happy.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #435 on: July 01, 2008, 01:46:05 PM »

The decision effectively concludes that I am now a second-class citizen in the view of Atlasia.  Same thing will apply to deregistered citizens in the future.

Not second-class, but newly-minted.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #436 on: July 01, 2008, 01:55:36 PM »

Not second-class, but newly-minted.

It's second-class.  Therefore, if I were to try and bring suit based on past offences done to me before deregistration, my suit would be dismissed on the basis of standing considering the expansive reach given the deregistration act.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #437 on: July 01, 2008, 02:05:52 PM »

And I've posted.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #438 on: July 01, 2008, 03:30:15 PM »

The so called executive orders if not rescinded one way or the other will generate a rash of litigation, I suspect.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #439 on: July 01, 2008, 03:34:46 PM »

The two faces of Spade, as it were.   This does strike me as even more efficacious  than Catholic confession for Catholics however. If you commit a crime, and they are after you, just deregister, and then re-register, and you are a different person, and good to go!  There is a silver lining in every cloud. Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #440 on: July 01, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »

The two faces of Spade, as it were.   This does strike me as even more efficacious  than Catholic confession for Catholics however. If you commit a crime, and they are after you, just deregister, and then re-register, and you are a different person, and good to go!  There is a silver lining in every cloud. Tongue

Stop beating me to the Constitutional punch with a big problem concerning this ruling.  Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #441 on: July 01, 2008, 09:55:50 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2008, 10:06:40 PM by Torie »

Is there a compendium of executive orders anywhere, or are they just buried in random posting threads?  If they are, I think we need to do what is required to invalidate all executive orders that are not properly archived on the Wiki Altlasia page. An government of effectively invisible regulations, is a government without transparency.

Edit:  I do see a few appear here. Is this a complete list? If so, the number has about doubled in the last two days or so.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #442 on: July 02, 2008, 08:40:19 AM »

Is there a compendium of executive orders anywhere, or are they just buried in random posting threads?  If they are, I think we need to do what is required to invalidate all executive orders that are not properly archived on the Wiki Altlasia page. An government of effectively invisible regulations, is a government without transparency.

Edit:  I do see a few appear here. Is this a complete list? If so, the number has about doubled in the last two days or so.

That seems to me to be about right for a complete list.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #443 on: July 02, 2008, 12:11:16 PM »

The Examiner
2 July 2008

Southeast Special Election Called

In response to the decision in Sam Spade v SoFA, the current Deputy SoFA, Inks.LWC has given notice of the Department’s intent to hold the election mandated by the court’s decision from 10-13 July.

Following on from a question of your correspondent to the Dep. SoFA, Sam Spade has threatened to bring another lawsuit against the DoFA on the basis of this declaration for failure to comply with the Supreme Court’s mandate that the election be held “forthwith”. Sitting SoFA and President-elect Mr. Moderate has expressed his support for his deputy’s position.

Questions may also be raised about whether or not an election is constitutionally proper, rather than an appointment by the Southeastern Governor (whomever that shall prove to be).

----

Moderate Reveals Partial Agenda

President-elect Moderate has announced elements of his proposed legislative agenda which include a Constitutional Amendment empowering the SoFA to open and operate regional voting booths and legislation which would tax carbon imports. No announcement has yet been made on cabinet nominations.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #444 on: July 04, 2008, 12:11:52 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2008, 12:17:14 PM by Jas »

The Examiner
4 July 2008

Moderate Takes Charge

Mr. Moderate has sworn-in as Atlasia's 17th President.

Executive Orders Repealed
Moderate’s first act of office has been the repeal of 2 Executive Orders put in place only days ago by then President, now Vice President (again) Ebowed. The Orders rescinded were those abolishing capital punishment within the Atlasian military and the Order regulating Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil.

The move was expected, having been flagged by Mr. Moderate in The Examiner shortly after their enactment. The 5 other Orders drafted by then President Ebowed remain in force.

White House Agenda; Still No Sign of Cabinet Nominations
President Mr. Moderate has also set out his official agenda which includes those matters already disclosed and the Mass Transport Infrastructure Initiative Bill which has already been introduced onto the Senate agenda by his now ally, Sen. Rockefeller Republican (NLC). The agenda did also confirm that the President is still considering his cabinet nominations. No indication has been given of when these nominations may be announced.

Senate Scorecard
Mr. Moderate has also established an ‘Office White House Scorecard’ which appears to be set to rank Atlasia’s Senators in accordance with their votes in office. The novel move indicates that the President intends to keep a close eye on activities in the Senate - somehting obviously to be welcomed, but one wonders whether the scheme may lead to rifts appearing between erstwhile colleagues down the line.

----

Ernest Resigns

Supreme Court Justice Ernest has resigned his seat on Atlasia’s highest most senior legal deliberative institution. In a brief resignation message, Mr Justice Ernest said:
I have decided that there are some activities I wish to pursue that are not in keeping with the detachment and neutrality that are expected of a judge.  Therefore, I am resigning my position as a Justice of the Atlasian Supreme Court, effective immediately.

The resignation follows the recent controversial decision in the case of Sam Spade v. SoFA, which has dominated the Atlasian discourse in recent days. The move gives the President his first major opportunity to impact upon Atlasian law from the Oval Office.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #445 on: July 04, 2008, 12:15:16 PM »

The White House will be releasing the names of the SoFA nominee and the Supreme Court Justice nominee a little bit later today.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #446 on: July 04, 2008, 12:18:30 PM »

Damn, this is the first update in awhile not to mention the Southeast Sad
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #447 on: July 04, 2008, 08:35:05 PM »

Why the media blackout on my coup and the subsequent regional court ruling?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #448 on: July 05, 2008, 11:33:43 AM »

Why the media blackout on my coup and the subsequent regional court ruling?

"Media blackout" is an interesting term to use just because this single newspaper didn't deem your "coup" to be newsworthy in the same context as the new incoming President and a Supreme Court resignation. Not only did I not take very much interest in your "coup", nobody else did either - hence why it is unlikely to appear in The Examiner.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #449 on: July 05, 2008, 11:36:03 AM »

The Examiner
5 July 2008

Moderate Makes First Nominations

President Moderate’s nominations for Secretary of Forum Affairs and Supreme Court Justice have been announced.

Supreme Court: Sam Spade
Fmr. Senator Sam Spade has received the nomination to replace Ernest on the Supreme Court following yesterday’s surprise resignation. Mr Spade is no stranger to the corridors of the Supreme Court having taken cases against Fmr. President Porce and most recently against the Acting Secretary of Forum Affairs (and, somewhat ironically, his current co-nominee) – a case which may have contributed to this very vacancy arising. Through these cases and elsewhere he has displayed a very strong grasp of legal principles and is unquestionably qualified to sit on Atlasia’s highest court.

The Examiner laments only the fact that no longer will Mr Spade’s contributions be heard in the Senate, which will almost certainly be a lesser body for his absence – and so heartily endorses his nomination as an Associate Justice.

SoFA: Inks.LWC
President Moderate’s other nomination has been to seek to promote Inks.LWC from Deputy SoFA to SoFA proper. Unfortunately in this regard The Examiner cannot offer a glowing review nor its endorsement to this nomination.

While Inks’s commitment to procedural correctness cannot be questioned, his record and performance do not lack for the questions they raise. This nomination, according to the press release, has been made “on merit” – however we fail to recognize where this merit has been displayed in Inks’s career to date and most particularly given his recent performance as Acting SoFA during the General Election.

Senator Rockefeller Republican has described the nomination as an “excellent choice”. However Senator Colin Wixted has characterized Inks’s performance as SoFA as a “complete disaster…who is not up to the standards of the office” - a characterisation which received the qualified support of Senator Lewis Trondheim. It is with the esteemed Senators Wixted and Trondheim with which The Examiner finds itself in closest accord and so recommends to the Senate that they seek an alternative nomination.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies