Another NY Times shot across McCain's bow.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:01:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Another NY Times shot across McCain's bow.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Another NY Times shot across McCain's bow.  (Read 1453 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2008, 01:24:33 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/28/us/politics/28mccain.html?_r=2&ei=5090&en=45d24e7c7a991183&ex=1361941200&oref=slogin&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

Now McCain isn't a real American? 
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 01:26:24 PM »

The nation has gone absolutely nuts...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 01:32:24 PM »

You mean "natural-born" isn't about whether you were delivered via C-section?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 01:33:34 PM »

This issue is ridiculous, and has already been settled before.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 01:40:59 PM »

This issue is ridiculous, and has already been settled before.

After the backlash from their last attack on McCain I don't get this one, because your're right, Joe, this one has been settled.

Their credibility is firmly stuck in the toilet.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 02:06:47 PM »

Dear New York Times,

I sincerely appreciate your help in unifying the conservative base and even your average, independent voter behind the candidacy of John McCain.

Many thanks,

Phil
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 02:10:47 PM »

Dear New York Times,

I sincerely appreciate your help in unifying the conservative base and even your average, independent voter behind the candidacy of John McCain.

Many thanks,

Phil

Wishful thinking, a little?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 02:14:28 PM »

Dear New York Times,

Many thanks,

Phil

I have to tell you....the more time goes by...the more and more confident I am feeling about victory. Let's have a few NY Times jabs.....a few more McCain makes some nutty right-wingers look bad....a few more dumb foreign policy statements by Obama...and maybe Republicans just might skid across 270 in eight months.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 02:16:51 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2008, 02:18:36 PM by Alcon »

Dear New York Times,

Many thanks,

Phil

I have to tell you....the more time goes by...the more and more confident I am feeling about victory. Let's have a few NY Times jabs.....a few more McCain makes some nutty right-wingers look bad....

The average voter's vote is not going to be impacted about the Times publishing a fairly tame, albeit passive-aggressive, article on McCain's citizenship eligibility.  If you think that the focus will remain on how "liberal" McCain is relative to his base, you're quite mistaken.  The number of ellipses you use will not change that.

a few more dumb foreign policy statements by Obama...and maybe Republicans just might skid across 270 in eight months.

That much I can agree with.  Just might.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 02:20:48 PM »

Dear New York Times,

Many thanks,

Phil

I have to tell you....the more time goes by...the more and more confident I am feeling about victory. Let's have a few NY Times jabs.....a few more McCain makes some nutty right-wingers look bad....

The average voter's vote is not going to be impacted about the Times publishing a fairly tame, albeit passive-aggressive, article on McCain's citizenship eligibility.  If you think that the focus will remain on how "liberal" McCain is relative to his base, you're quite mistaken.  The number of ellipses you use will not change that.

a few more dumb foreign policy statements by Obama...and maybe Republicans just might skid across 270 in eight months.

That much I can agree with.  Just might.

Seriously. I am thinking they are doing this on purpose to get the average voter to be sympathetic to McCain.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 02:22:02 PM »

The issue has never been addressed by the Supreme Court, so to say it's been settled before is not correct.  I suspect he's ok, but a decent argument can be made against it vis-a-vis the terms of the Constitution.

However, I sincerely doubt the Supreme Court would say that McCain is not President because of this, just on policy grounds alone...
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 02:25:07 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2008, 02:30:41 PM by agcatter »

Yeah, I read the article.  You'd think the NY Times would get the fact that with every ridiculous piece of garbage they're throwing at McCain, it's making them look like a hack newspaper.  Hey, if they have something then fine, print it.  However, if it's nonsense then don't go with it.  They are hurting their own credibility.

His eligibility is not even being questioned by any serious legal scholars anymore than Osama's eligibility (born in a the then territory of hawaii) is in question.

Stop it Mr Keller.  I would think those stockholders that have a piece of the NY Times would start getting sick of the image of the NY Times being taken down.  Have a point of view on the editorial page.  Sure, no problem.  Trying to run multiple stories to harm the candidacy of a party or candidate which your editorial board doesn't favor is hurtful to the credibility of the newspaper which is therefore
counterproductive to that paper's political point of view - a credibility that has already been brought into question.

This isn't a big deal, but coming on the heals of the last story it doesn't reflect all that well on the
objectivity of the Times.  I swear, it's almost as if the newspaper is going out of it;s wy to look biased.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 03:07:51 PM »

It's a legitimate concern, though I think the general consensus is that territories are fine.  (Goldwater was born in Arizona in 1909, though obviously he didn't come close to being President).

Oh, and Obama was born in 1961, nearly 2 years after Hawaii became a state.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 03:29:08 PM »

It does seem interesting that this has never been brought before the court for clarification in the past, especially when there have been prior presidential candidates with similar issues.

As for McCain, he should be in the clear.  His parents were both US citizens.  His father was on assignment by the US Government, serving on a US base, located on a strip of land under the US jurisdiction... all with McCain being born in a US hospital on that base.  If for some reason the court would to rule that he isn't a natural-born citizen would be a big surprise.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 03:31:20 PM »

Right, if this had ANY merit, it would have been before the courts long ago.  It will never go before the court for a decision.   That's why I, for one, consider this settled.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 03:33:41 PM »

I stand corrected on Obama and being born in a territory.  Hawaii was indeed a state when he was born.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 03:51:40 PM »

This Supreme Court is going to rule that McCain can't be President?  Really?  You think?
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 04:00:57 PM »

No objective Supreme Court would rule that way.  A Court made up of 9 Ruth Ginsbergs would have trouble justifying that decision.

Try again NY Times.  I have no doubt they will.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 04:13:58 PM »

Wow, the NY Times only just noticed that he was born in the Panama Canal Zone? Maybe they're just trying to help McCain out by unifying the Republican base. I mean the NY Times did sit on that damaging illegal wiretap story until after the 2004 election, they don't time these things to help Democrats.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 04:49:13 PM »

also, 8 of the first 9 presidents were not born in the USA.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 04:54:18 PM »

Weren't they exempted because they were born in the colonies?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 04:58:41 PM »

Weren't they exempted because they were born in the colonies?

Yes, which is why there wasn't an issue with Goldwater (precedent).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »

Dear New York Times,

Many thanks,

Phil

Not when it comes to helping McCain with the base. That lobbyist thing helped. This can only help. Being picked on by the New York Times is always a good thing for a Republican (as you know).
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 11:25:02 AM »

I wonder why the NYT doesn't point that Hillary Clinton may also be constitutionally ineligible to be President:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The argument has about the same degree of credibility as this one.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 11:37:19 AM »

hahaha . . . good point.  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies