Macedonia, Croatia and Albania in NATO?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:31:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Macedonia, Croatia and Albania in NATO?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Macedonia, Croatia and Albania in NATO?  (Read 1071 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »

In April, the applications for NATO membership by Croatia, Albania and Macedonia will be formally introduced.  Indiana Senator Richard Lugar has come out in support of all three countries.

The only one that's seriously controversial is Macedonia.  Greece is expected to lobby hard against Macedonian inclusion.  The Greeks object to the country using the name, "Macedonia".  This is because there is a region of Greece also known as Macedonia and I think (not sure of this) Greeks fear they would want to break away.  Maybe some of you know more about this?

Also -- what do you think of adding these countries to NATO?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 11:29:14 AM »

Macedonia is a historical Greek area- Alexander the Great was from there.

I've no objection to adding any of these. Albania itself might be slightly problematic- it borders Kosova. That said, I support it it would be interesting to look at some F-7s (Chinese version of the MiG-21)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 11:32:54 AM »

Croatia: YES. Certainly.
Albania: Yes. But not in all capital letters.
Macedonia: Yes, if only to piss Greece off.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »

I've no objection to adding any of these. Albania itself might be slightly problematic- it borders Kosova. That said, I support it it would be interesting to look at some F-7s (Chinese version of the MiG-21)

Um...no he wasn't.  Alexander the Great was from Macedon, which is part of modern-day Greece.  It controlled territories stretching as far north as modern day Macedonia, but the heartland of ancient Macedon was in Greek Macedonia.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 11:54:28 AM »

Um...no he wasn't.  Alexander the Great was from Macedon, which is part of modern-day Greece.  It controlled territories stretching as far north as modern day Macedonia, but the heartland of ancient Macedon was in Greek Macedonia.

I stand corrected.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 01:42:16 PM »

I'm in favor of the admission of Macedonia - for they really need protection. I'm absolutely against Albania, which doesn't deserve it all and until Croatiahas made reparations for the war crimes they commited, I'm against their admission.

Since you seem to be using local names, would you mind calling Bulgaria Balgariya from now on. Or does this reverence extend only to Albanians?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 02:31:10 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2008, 02:37:46 PM by Ivan Smirnov »

I'm using English-language names- there is no agreement on the correct name for the new state. The use of Kosova shows my point of view on the issue- I support an independent state. Look at any English language Albanian source- they use Kosova.

I use Kyiv for the capital of Ukraine, due to the Ukrainian point of view on that issue.

Your country's government uses Bulgaria in the English language version of its website, so it appears to have no objection to use of the English spelling.

You'll notice in that quote I don't use Elláda, Makedonija, or Zhōnghuá.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 02:51:58 PM »

I'm using English-language names- there is no agreement on the correct name for the new state. The use of Kosova shows my point of view on the issue- I support an independent state. Look at any English language Albanian source- they use Kosova.

I use Kyiv for the capital of Ukraine, due to the Ukrainian point of view on that issue.

Your country's government uses Bulgaria in the English language version of its website, so it appears to have no objection to use of the English spelling.

That's understandable, though I was a bit annoyed as no one used this name until independence and now it seems to have become preferable.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 02:56:17 PM »

That's understandable, though I was a bit annoyed as no one used this name until independence and now it seems to have become preferable.

It was used by Albanian Kosovars before then. It's still not preferable- the BBC still calls it Kosovo as does Wikipedia.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies