Next Wave of EU Expansion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:23:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Next Wave of EU Expansion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of the following countries would you support bringing into the European Union, the next time it decides to embark on a new era of expansion?
Croatia

Bosnia

Montenegro

Serbia

Kosovo

Macedonia

Turkey

Iceland

Ukraine

Moldova

Georgia

Armenia

Azerbaijan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Next Wave of EU Expansion  (Read 8822 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« on: March 01, 2008, 08:54:38 PM »

Croatia, Iceland, Moldova. Montenegro and Bosnia as well, perhaps.

Tadic's victory made Serbia's inclusion slightly more likely, but only slightly and I think there are still too many hard feelings over the Kosovo war for this to happen any time soon.

Kosovo and Ukraine won't join for the foreseeable future, because Russia would go absolutely apes***t if they did.

Turkey won't join in the next immediate phase because key member states like Germany and UK are still at loggerheads over this issue; but I do believe it will happen at some point before 2020.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 09:30:42 PM »

Economic reasons, mainly. Norway has one of the most generous welfare states on the planet, yet it's also horrendously expensive compared to other EU countries, and they're loath to give up that "special status". There are probably other reasons, but that's it in a nutshell, I think.

However, there are special agreements in place which mean that they effectively have quasi-EU status.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 07:14:18 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2008, 07:20:13 AM by Michael Z »

Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Iceland.

I'm against Turkey in Europe. The Turkish government's recent law on headscarves backs me up my argument.

Because obviously headscarves = terrorism.

The European fascination with the relationship between headscarves and Islamic extremism, along with minarets and this extremism has always amazed me.  I don't understand where these concepts come from.

Wow, just wow.

I never said anything about headscarves=terrorism. My point was in fact about secularism in Turkey.

Wow.

I would consider equal rights for people of all religious preferences to be an important part of secularism, wouldn't you?

Since when? Secularism is the rejection of religious doctrines, not some form of equalitarianism. Besides, we're talking about a system of enforced secularism - in Turkey, they very much have a "Give them an inch and they'll take a mile"-attitude towards Islamists, which dates back to the Ataturk period.

However, I think the main reason some EU governments such as Germany are against Turkey joining is the human rights abuses taking place there, especially against the Kurds, not to mention all that stuff about the Armenian genocide. For as long as Turkey doesn't address these issues, EU membership is unlikely. You could of course look at it from another angle and suggest that membership is the proverbial carrot on the stick that's being held out for Turkey to address its human rights abuses.

There are of course other, pettier reasons, which are mostly related to Germany's sizeable Turkish community, but that's neither here nor there.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies