Next Wave of EU Expansion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:56:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Next Wave of EU Expansion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of the following countries would you support bringing into the European Union, the next time it decides to embark on a new era of expansion?
Croatia

Bosnia

Montenegro

Serbia

Kosovo

Macedonia

Turkey

Iceland

Ukraine

Moldova

Georgia

Armenia

Azerbaijan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Next Wave of EU Expansion  (Read 8813 times)
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« on: March 01, 2008, 04:41:53 PM »

Montenegro, Serbia and Macedonia.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 07:32:09 AM »

I think Turkish membership in the EU would be of immediate and immense benefit to both democracy and secularism in Turkey and therefore have no qualms whatsoever with admitting it more or less as is. Same goes for corruption problems in Ukraine.
My own experience indicates that corruption actually increases after admission in the EU. And if Turkey is admitted unreformed, the anti-democratic forces will become entrenched and reforms will be far less likely.

Countries that wish to join the EU must address human rights.
In the last wave of entrants, some have still yet to implement human rights, this is not acceptable, you must meet the criteria before you join, simply saying, we will meet them if you let us join first, is not good enough.

Iceland is the only country that meets my criteria at the moment, but i'd like to see all Europeam countries joining, and having a system similar to the US.
Which countries admitted recently have yet to implement human rights?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:28:09 AM »

Croatia, Macedonia (f**k the Greeks and their incredibly silly language objection), Iceland and Norway (if they want it), and...that's about it.

It'll be a cold day in hell the day Serbia joins the EU.  Letting Russia Jr. poke its snout into the EU tent would be a catastrophe for the whole project.

(No, I am not a Slavophobe.  I mentioned Croatia, right?)
The Macedonians are Slavs as well.
And Serbia had rather good relations with the West when it was part of Yugoslavia and after the overthrow of Miloshevich, but they prefer to have good relations with countries which actually help them.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 03:49:04 PM »

Iīd like to see all of the countries above in the European Union by 2050, including Norway, Switzerland and Belarus. Donīt know if Russia wants to join as well ...
No, I don't think so and the EU will probably never admitt them, unless perhaps Russia collapses to a more manageable size.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies