Venezuela, Ecuador send troops to Columbian border (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:08:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Venezuela, Ecuador send troops to Columbian border (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Venezuela, Ecuador send troops to Columbian border  (Read 3565 times)
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« on: March 05, 2008, 01:21:10 PM »

Doesn't the FARC have substantial support in parts of Colombia - mostly in the Andes region?A guerrila group, however unpopular, usualy has at least some local support, or it doesn't last as long as FARC.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 03:49:38 PM »

Doesn't the FARC have substantial support in parts of Colombia - mostly in the Andes region?A guerrila group, however unpopular, usualy has at least some local support, or it doesn't last as long as FARC.

Of course it does.  Nobody would argue otherwise. There are areas of significant support for the rebels, otherwise they would not have been as successful as they are. Still, this seems to be a minority opinion in Colombia: - Uribe has built his entire political career on finishing FARC off, and he's done pretty good for himself.

One thing I wonder about: when Ecuadorean/Venezuelan FMs meet their Colombian counterpart Araujo, what are they going to tell him? It would take some balls to defend FARC in front of that guy.  I'd pay as lot to be a fly on the wall of that room.
Well, he on the other hand will have to defend their incursion into Ecuador, so it wouldn't be completely onesided.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 02:14:57 AM »

Of course it does.  Nobody would argue otherwise. There are areas of significant support for the rebels, otherwise they would not have been as successful as they are. Still, this seems to be a minority opinion in Colombia: - Uribe has built his entire political career on finishing FARC off, and he's done pretty good for himself.

One thing I wonder about: when Ecuadorean/Venezuelan FMs meet their Colombian counterpart Araujo, what are they going to tell him? It would take some balls to defend FARC in front of that guy.  I'd pay as lot to be a fly on the wall of that room.
Well, he on the other hand will have to defend their incursion into Ecuador, so it wouldn't be completely onesided.

Formally, no, it won't be one-sided.  In personal terms... Check out Araujo's bio.

Ah, I see what you mean: "Well, yes minister they kidnapped you and held you for six years, but otherwise they're nice people, really!" Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies