most retrospectively amusing comments about the GOP nomination race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:14:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  most retrospectively amusing comments about the GOP nomination race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: most retrospectively amusing comments about the GOP nomination race  (Read 7305 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 01:44:21 AM »

Well... at least my comments in the Fred Thompson thread were spot on.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 08:28:21 AM »

Well... at least my comments in the Fred Thompson thread were spot on.

Yeah, the OP got spanked from the get-go.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 02:34:36 PM »

Uh... to whom?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 04:25:08 PM »

Back when McCain's campaign was flailing, lots of people were using the train of logic "His campaign is inept, he doesn't know what he's doing --> he'd be a bad GE candidate".  Not sure it makes much sense, but lots of people frequently tether their opinion of how a candidate would do in the general election with how they're doing in the primary.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 04:26:47 PM »

I think it had more to do with McCain's much stronger ties to Iraq. Back in early-to-mid 2007, it still looked like the 2008 election would be all Iraq, all the time.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 04:32:50 PM »

On McCain's electability, here's an interesting one:

Romney has also surpassed both Gore and Thompson in the "winning individual" market, and is now at 10.6.

I find it hilarious that there are people who actually think Romney could win a general election in 2008.

I think he'd have a better chance than McCain.  Romney is very very bright and very smooth, although a complete sleaze, but they all are.  McCain is just an f'ing corpse at this point.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 05:20:48 PM »

Call me crazy, but I think I have a suspicion about what's going on behind the scenes in the GOP primary. I think that McCain has found out long ago that he will not win the Republican nomination, but had an ace up his sleeve: Fred Thompson. I think it is possible that McCain may have encouraged Thompson to consider a run. Now, out front, this may seem insane, but think about the long-term effects. First off, many Republicans are uncomfortable with the current frontrunner, Rudy Giuliani, and want an alternative. McCain might have thought that Thompson could absorb the anti-McCain vote from Giuliani, and to a lesser extent Romney, thus diminishing Giuliani's lead. Also, when Thompson finally participates in a debate, it will provide McCain an opportunity to gain some debate points by attacking Giuliani and Romney, while they are too preoccupied attacking Thompson. Then assuming Thompson's campaign does fail, he could drop out and endorse McCain, thus making him relevant again.

Of course, if this plan doesn't work, there is always plan B. Thompson's candidacy may not be a secret plan to help McCain, but it may actually be genuine. It is possible that McCain realized his campaign was dying, but, rather than try to resuscitate it, he tried to ressurect it. Maybe McCain encouraged Thompson to run, to give McCain a second chance. McCain could drop out and endorse Thompson, then become the VP nominee after he wins the nomination, although he would really be in control of the ticket. I'm not saying this is all true, but I'm just trying to start speculation and a discussion.

SPC's best post ever.

Yeah, the rationale is not completely right, but the Thompson-Huckabee competition really did give McCain the nomination.  Crazy what a crowded, competitive field can do.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 05:35:59 PM »

Yeah, the rationale is not completely right, but the Thompson-Huckabee competition really did give McCain the nomination.  Crazy what a crowded, competitive field can do.

As I've said before, McCain may have won because he failed to beat Thompson for 3rd place in Iowa.  (Thus, possibly keeping Thompson in longer, which killed Huckabee's chances of beating McCain in SC.)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 06:38:30 PM »

Giuliani people asking McCain to drop out in November:

"David Watts, the Northeast Political Director of Rudy Giuliani’s presidential campaign, held a meeting with about twenty key New Jersey supporters, including Senate Minority Leader-designate Thomas Kean and Ocean County GOP Chairman George Gilmore, on November 17 to discuss the exportation of volunteers to New Hampshire. Watts explained that the former New York City Mayor is the second choice of John McCain supporters. That prompted a discussion of McCain’s withdrawal, and a request that Gilmore ask New Jersey Republican State Chairman Tom Wilson, a McCain supporter, to call upon McCain to drop out of the race. Gilmore told the group he’s taking that “under advisement.” Kean’s father, former Governor Thomas Kean, Sr., endorsed McCain last week."

—PolitickerNJ.com

good God. Huckabee is going to sweep everything before FLorida.

Unless, Giuliani sweeps super Tuesday I don't see anyone going into the convention with anything close to a majority of delegates.

Thread from as late as December 20th titled "Only Romney and Huckabee stand a chance at the nomination at this point":

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=66629

Having said that, I'd like to know what MODU is smoking when he says that Giuliani still has the best shot.

Only the same thing that the people saying McCain and Paul are still in it.  Tongue 
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2008, 06:42:12 PM »

And from a thread titled "Predict the winners in all the early primary states"

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=65716.0

Republicans:
IA: Huckabee
WY: Romney
NH: Ron Paul
MI: Giuliani 
SC: Huckabee
NV: Huckabee
FL: Huckabee
ME: Giuliani

Democrat:
IA: Clinton
All others except a few outliers: Clinton

Well, I was really wrong about the Dems, but I nailed IA, WY, SC for the GOP Smiley
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2008, 06:42:31 PM »

Romney has also surpassed both Gore and Thompson in the "winning individual" market, and is now at 10.6.

I find it hilarious that there are people who actually think Romney could win a general election in 2008.

I think he'd have a better chance than McCain.  Romney is very very bright and very smooth, although a complete sleaze, but they all are.  McCain is just an f'ing corpse at this point.

Well, that's a bit of a hypothetical still. We have no idea what things will look like in November yet, nor whether Romney would have actually done worse than McCain.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2008, 06:43:48 PM »

Republicans:
NH: Ron Paul
MI: Giuliani 
SC: Huckabee
NV: Huckabee
FL: Huckabee
ME: Giuliani

Democrat:
IA: Clinton
All others except a few outliers: Clinton

Well, I was really wrong about the Dems, but I nailed IA, WY, SC for the GOP Smiley

McCain won South Carolina.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 06:44:13 PM »

I usually made predictions with the intention of them being wrong so that I didn't jinx the outcome which seems to happen with me. Seems like it worked for me in of the primary contests!
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2008, 06:45:37 PM »

Republicans:
NH: McCain
MI: Romney 
SC: McCain
NV: Romney
FL: McCain

Democrat:
IA: Obama
Close race ending in Obama victory in early June

McCain won South Carolina.
Well, then I'll do this Smiley
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2008, 06:52:01 PM »

Well, that's a bit of a hypothetical still. We have no idea what things will look like in November yet, nor whether Romney would have actually done worse than McCain.

True.  I was basically posting that as part of the discussion spawned by this:

....reminding people that yes, there was a time when some people were saying that McCain might not be that electable when compared to the rest of the GOP field.  Now the CW seems to be that he's more electable than Giuliani, Huckabee, Romney, or Thompson would have been....though of course there's no way to prove that.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2008, 07:11:35 PM »

Anything Winfield said regarding his worship of Mitt Romney.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »

Have to bump this thread because I found this:

Let's face reality, folks. Neither McCain, Giuliani nor Romney will be candidates for President in 2008 and if they are, they won't get far!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2008, 11:58:52 PM »

Have to bump this thread because I found this:

Let's face reality, folks. Neither McCain, Giuliani nor Romney will be candidates for President in 2008 and if they are, they won't get far!

Tongue

Well, Rudy didn't really get far. I got that much right!
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2008, 03:48:07 AM »

So was he expecting it to be a deadlock between the fearsome fighters of Tancredo, Duncan Hunter, and George Allen?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2008, 11:49:36 AM »

So was he expecting it to be a deadlock between the fearsome fighters of Tancredo, Duncan Hunter, and George Allen?

I guess that was directed at me.

I thought Allen would be running along with a few other possibilities. I thought Sanford or Owens might give it a try. Remember that Brownback was also in the race.

This was three years ago. These things sounded perfectly sane back then.  Tongue
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2008, 11:53:21 AM »

Giuliani people asking McCain to drop out in November:

"David Watts, the Northeast Political Director of Rudy Giuliani’s presidential campaign, held a meeting with about twenty key New Jersey supporters, including Senate Minority Leader-designate Thomas Kean and Ocean County GOP Chairman George Gilmore, on November 17 to discuss the exportation of volunteers to New Hampshire. Watts explained that the former New York City Mayor is the second choice of John McCain supporters. That prompted a discussion of McCain’s withdrawal, and a request that Gilmore ask New Jersey Republican State Chairman Tom Wilson, a McCain supporter, to call upon McCain to drop out of the race. Gilmore told the group he’s taking that “under advisement.” Kean’s father, former Governor Thomas Kean, Sr., endorsed McCain last week."

—PolitickerNJ.com

Is it too late now to get him to drop out?  Wink
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2008, 11:59:56 AM »

I guess that was directed at me.

I thought Allen would be running along with a few other possibilities. I thought Sanford or Owens might give it a try. Remember that Brownback was also in the race.

This was three years ago. These things sounded perfectly sane back then.  Tongue

Allen, Sanford, Owens, Frist, and Pawlenty all seemed like plausible options back then.  In your defense, there were good reasons to think that Giuliani, McCain, and Romney might not run.  There were serious questions about whether the conservative base of the party would accept any of them (this was before Romney's flip-flops), and so any of them might plausibly have opted out because they didn't think they could win the nom.  (And with McCain, there were also questions about whether he might opt out because of his age / health.)

In fact, right up until Giuliani threw his hat in the ring, I doubted that he would actually do it, since I didn't think he was foolish enough to think that he could win the GOP nomination.  I guess he was that foolish.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2008, 04:50:48 PM »

Allen, Sanford, Owens, Frist, and Pawlenty all seemed like plausible options back then.

Ah, yes! How could I forget the guy that I was supporting (assuming Santorum wasn't in the race) - Bill Frist. And, in retrospect, I am very happy that never happened. My opinion of the man went from very positive to "eh" at best.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2008, 06:42:52 PM »

Having said that, I'd like to know what MODU is smoking when he says that Giuliani still has the best shot.

Only the same thing that the people saying McCain and Paul are still in it.  Tongue 

Yep, I was expecting Rudy to do better in Florida.  I think that if he had, this race would have been completely different.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2008, 09:43:09 AM »

Right after 2004, as I almost sure the 2008 race would come down to Bill Frist, Bill Owens, George Allen, and Mitt Romney

Perhaps my thread that I bump sometimes "Actor to Politics and Back Again" or something like that, should provide some fun material on Fred Thompson.  I was convinced he was going to win, he did, however, hand McCain the nomination by staying in the race in South Carolina.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies