Gallup: Kerry leads in Ohio, +10 RV, +2 LV
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:10:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Polls
  Gallup: Kerry leads in Ohio, +10 RV, +2 LV
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Gallup: Kerry leads in Ohio, +10 RV, +2 LV  (Read 16714 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2004, 06:09:11 AM »

An 8-point disparity favoring Bush between registered voters and likely voters can mean one of two things:

1. Republicans are substantially more likely to actually vote than Democrats.
2. This poll sucks.

It might be the first option.
It might be "the sort of people who are registered but don't vote that often are voting Kerry this time - if they vote, that is".
But I agree, the second option is somewhere in the mix.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2004, 06:36:19 AM »

The posters at Free Republic wet their pants when Gallup said Bush was ahead by 3+ points, my guess now they will say Gallup is bought and paid for by the Kerry camp.

Again, I think that Gallup is off here as well. Bush I feel is a little behind in Ohio, maybe by more than 2 points but not less than 5 points. Again, people have to see that economics plays a large role here. A man may go to churcn every sunday, own 20 guns, but if he was laid off and his job sent to China, while his son cant get any footing in the construction industry because so many illegal aliens have been imported, he will be quite reluctant to vote for Bush.
Though he did do so last time around. Look at the county map of Ohio in 96 and 2000. Look at the Southeast, to be precise.
Oh, and I think you meant "not more than 5 points." Smiley

True, but Bush wasn't in power then
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2004, 07:22:10 AM »

The posters at Free Republic wet their pants when Gallup said Bush was ahead by 3+ points, my guess now they will say Gallup is bought and paid for by the Kerry camp.

Again, I think that Gallup is off here as well. Bush I feel is a little behind in Ohio, maybe by more than 2 points but not less than 5 points. Again, people have to see that economics plays a large role here. A man may go to churcn every sunday, own 20 guns, but if he was laid off and his job sent to China, while his son cant get any footing in the construction industry because so many illegal aliens have been imported, he will be quite reluctant to vote for Bush.
Though he did do so last time around. Look at the county map of Ohio in 96 and 2000. Look at the Southeast, to be precise.
Oh, and I think you meant "not more than 5 points." Smiley

True, but Bush wasn't in power then
That indeed would appear as the main reason, I'd say.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2004, 02:12:39 PM »

I think IA and MN are both locked down, more or less. The weak Gore states are New Mexico, Wisconsin and Oregon, I'd say. Perhaps also Pennsylvania, though I'm beginning to lose faith there.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2004, 02:16:59 PM »

Perhaps also Pennsylvania, though I'm beginning to lose faith there.

Keep the faith young Jedi warrior - the force is strong... Let's talk Pennsylvania in about a month... Wink
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2004, 03:32:51 PM »

Perhaps also Pennsylvania, though I'm beginning to lose faith there.

Keep the faith young Jedi warrior - the force is strong... Let's talk Pennsylvania in about a month... Wink

Is your faith restored as I said it would be young Jedi...?
Shira

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2004, 04:29:22 PM »

What do you need to speculate and analyze all these polls. Better listen to me and here is what I say:

As to Bush that's what will be:

WV>OH>National>PA>FL
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2004, 04:43:35 PM »

What do you need to speculate and analyze all these polls. Better listen to me and here is what I say:

As to Bush that's what will be:

WV>OH>National>PA>FL

lol.  i love shira.  her confidence is very attractive attribute.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2004, 04:50:49 PM »

Weird how large the difference between RV and LV is. Either, way, Rove can't be happy that a poll that is Republican biased has Kerry doing so well.

First off, since when is Gallup biased to the GOP?

Second, the campaigns have their own internal polls that are deadly accurate, so I'm sure that Rove doesn't give a sh**t about this result.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2004, 08:27:34 PM »

First, I don't trust this survey because of the large difference between likely and registered voters.

Second, the last time a Democrat has done better in Ohio than in the nation was in 1972 when McGovern only lost Ohio by 21.56% margin.

From 1972=2000 the Democrat candidate for President has on the average underperformed his national average by 1.83% in Ohio.

So, to believe the Ohio results for likely voters, you would have to believe that Kerry at that time was ahead nationally by about four points.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2004, 08:35:54 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2004, 11:35:44 AM by The Vorlon »

THESE POLLS ARE 1 MONTH OLD
Gustaf comment 1 month ago he was "losing faith" and I replied 1 month ago that

he should "have faith young Jedi - this state will be close" or words to that effect.

I bumped the thread when I posted a new comment today (based upon PA's tossup status) to asked if his "faith had been restored young Jedi".

Sorry for the confusion...

This is a month old poll Sad
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2004, 07:59:08 AM »

I'm reconciled to the opinion that Bush will carry Ohio, despite its economic woes. Kerry has had small leads from time to time but the polling trend favours Bush

To win Kerry must persuade any lead he has among registered voters to vote.

Dave
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2004, 10:29:35 AM »

I have now rejoined the dark side. Smiley PA will go to Bush!
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2004, 10:34:43 AM »

I have now rejoined the dark side. Smiley PA will go to Bush!

hahaha . . . it might, but I'm still not convinced.  Smiley  I'd rather be "surprised" later on in the campaign.  hahaha
mddem2004

Political Matrix
E: -6.38, S: -4.00

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2004, 11:46:07 AM »

I found this niffty little graph that may shed some light on the pertetual "Good Poll/Bad Poll" .......""their Biased/no, their biased" arguments I see on this site. And after seeing this....well.....a picture is worth a thousand words.

The graph is of National Polls performed by the listed firms. The graph also shows the median of the range of polls performed during a particular week. Polls in the + range are Bush leading, - polls show a Kerry lead.

I am struck by a number of things with this graph. 1) The two firms that are consistantly the closest to the median of all polls.......Rasussen and Zogby. Rasmussen consistantly shows a very slight Bush bias, Zogby consistantly shows a very slight Kerry bias. And frankly, for all the talk of how good Gallup is....they are consistantly ALL OVER the field.

As far as I'm concerned, based on this graph, I personally think it is hard to argue against their consistancy and I will judge the status of this race to be somewhere between the latest Rasmussen National polls and the Zogby National polls.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies