Pelosi blames McCain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:10:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pelosi blames McCain
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pelosi blames McCain  (Read 929 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:32:11 AM »

HAHAHA . . . this is too rich.  Ignoring the fact that the original contract was awarded illegally, with three people going to jail over it since Boeing and a military insider were rigging the competition, Pelosi says it's McCain's fault for outsourcing our military.  Unfortunately, that just goes to show how ignorant she is on the contract, since the tanker is going to be built/modified in the Mobile, Alabama not Europe.  Additionally, Northrop Grumman and EADS (the European partner who provides the A330 airframe) are already building similar tankers for Australia, UK, UAE, and Saudi Arabia.  Boeing's design is currently being produced and sold to India.

Can someone please explain to me how she became the House Leader???

"Pelosi points finger at McCain on Boeing"

The controversy over the Pentagon decision to award a $35bn refuelling tanker contract to EADS spilled into the presidential race yesterday, when a senior Democrat suggested that John McCain, the Republican nominee, was responsible for the deal being "outsourced" to a European company.

Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic House speaker, said Boeing had been on course to supply the US Air Force with tankers until Mr McCain "intervened".

"My understanding is that it was on course for Boeing before. I mean, the thought was that it would be a domestic supplier for it," Ms Pelosi told reporters.

"Senator McCain intervened, and now we have a situation where the contract may be - this work may be outsourced."

(Cont...)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 10:34:50 AM »

I'm confused.  Is she suggesting we should have overspent on the contract just to give it to an American company?  If Boeing can't compete in a free market then they need to go out of buisness (or change their ways).  That's how the market works.  Giving the contract to EADS/NG saves ALL Americans money at the expense of a very small percentage of Americans (those employed by and the stock owners of Boeing).  This is why it's not always a bad thing when the Nike factory moves from Washington state to Vietnam, sure it sucks for the guys that used to make the Nike's, but everybody else gets cheaper Nike's.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 10:53:49 AM »

Northrop Grumman deserves everything that Boeing gets and more.  Boeing better not think they are superior and that NG is inferior.  I used to work at Northrop Grumman before I moved to Dallas and currently, the Oklahoma City site is poised to get a B1 and a B52 contract.  Boeing in Oklahoma City has applied for it, too, but much, much later than Northrop Grumman applied for it.  The B1 and B52 better give it to the right people, that is, Northrop Grumman.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 10:59:19 AM »

I'm confused.  Is she suggesting we should have overspent on the contract just to give it to an another American company that had the original contract stripped from them because they broke the law

Minor revision for you.  With 53% of the work being done by US companies, and most of the work itself being done in the US (100% of the sensitive/classified work will be done by US companies), there isn't any grounds for complaints, especially since international firms perform US gov't contracts all the time.  BAE, for example, is a huge US gov't contractor, yet they are not a US firm.  Their work is performed here in the US through their US branch.  Plus, US firms do a lot of foreign gov't contracts as well (as I noted earlier).  Pelosi is just off her rocker.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 04:17:39 PM »

What is Speaker Pelosi's approval rating these days anyway?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:16:58 PM »

Less than Bush's I think.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 10:49:13 PM »

It's fashionable to blame foreigners for troubles those days. I suspect a large part of Republicans feel the same as Pelosi on this issue.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:53:28 PM »

It's fashionable to blame foreigners for troubles those days. I suspect a large part of Republicans feel the same as Pelosi on this issue.
Of course.  There are idiots in every political party.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 11:21:14 PM »

What an idiot. I would still rather Boeing get the contract, but hell, if Gruman makes better planes then they should build them, with a cost.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 05:18:50 AM »

A dynamic of this we haven't covered yet is that European nations are (in a round-a-bout way) subsidizing USAF aircraft.  Thanks Europe!  You've got a long way to go before you pay us back for 50 years of M.A.D. (it's expensive ya know), but this is a good start.

(I'm joking about the last part.  We don't expect you to pay us back.  You guys would have done the same for us of course.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies