Russia General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:32:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Russia General Discussion  (Read 8349 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 02:34:33 PM »

Well, I do. Historically, you can't understand October without February.
Well, no one one cares about history. Smiley
Seriously, are me and Silent Hunter the only people who knew this?
Ahhem.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 05:30:11 PM »

The SSSR is proof that idealistic revolutions suck.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 08:32:15 PM »

So, how long before Russia becomes a Communist dictatorship again?  I give it 5-10 more years.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 08:50:38 PM »

So, how long before Russia becomes a Communist dictatorship again?  I give it 5-10 more years.

It won't be Communist, it'll just be a fascist dictatorship.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 08:55:33 PM »

It won't be Communist, it'll just be a fascist dictatorship.

So who will led it?  Putin, his puppet, or someone new?
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2008, 08:59:31 PM »

Outright fascism? I don't really buy that. Perhaps something on the lines of the mexican PRI(one party state posing as a democracy) with the state also being rather chummy with the oligarchs and the church.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 12:37:39 AM »

Outright fascism? I don't really buy that. Perhaps something on the lines of the mexican PRI(one party state posing as a democracy) with the state also being rather chummy with the oligarchs and the church.
^^^

I agree with this.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 08:21:38 AM »

It won't be either a communist dictatorship or a fascist one. While the communists are actually popular (unlike the liberals, much as they're loved by the West), the ruling party has managed to take just enough of their platform to marginalise them. Fascism has many supporters, but little chances of electoral victory. The ruling party will continue to be in power, wining easily semi-free elections (not that they actually need to, at least for now) for a long time - something like Havelock described.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008, 10:11:56 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2008, 10:23:07 AM by tsionebreicruoc »

I also agree for a Russia where oligarch and Church are very important, but then, what it will become?

Hmm, I would say, after they have lost, with others, a war against West, a war which could begin in the Persian Gulf if you know what I mean, I see the Russian Federation exploding to become a sort of European Union composed of most of its ancient home-states and maybe also of some regions from other countries like Ukraine or Belarus...

I go to far?

Maybe, or maybe not...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 12:28:14 PM »

Could the west have a war with Russia that doesn't go nuclear?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2008, 12:41:32 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2008, 12:44:56 PM by Old Europe »

Russia is not and never will be facist or communist (again). And there won't be a war with "the West" either.

The Putinists and United Russia are gonna continue their present course of "centrist"/technocratic authoritarianism, until they're actually defeated in a election at some point... probably 20 or 30 years into the future or something like that. I think this prediction is also pretty much in line with the aforementioned "Mexican scenario". Boring, isn't it? Wink
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008, 01:44:34 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2008, 02:38:51 PM by GMantis »

The nuclear forces are the best of the Russian armed forces and in enough quanity and quality to offset a missile shield and they're taking steps to improve them. So the answer is no.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 01:49:05 PM »

Add to that the fact Russia (or more specifically Moscow) already has a missile shield...
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 09:17:55 PM »

Let Putin continue his work.  In my opinion it's much more in the interests of the US and the Western World for Russia to remain strong rather than implode and be exploited by China.  If we play our cards right maybe we can even turn Russia into an ally.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2008, 05:28:38 AM »

Let Putin continue his work.  In my opinion it's much more in the interests of the US and the Western World for Russia to remain strong rather than implode and be exploited by China.  If we play our cards right maybe we can even turn Russia into an ally.
You had them already as an ally, but you blew it by encouraging (that's how it looked to the Russians) the economic collapse and by treating them as vanquished enemies.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 07:22:52 AM »

Add to that the fact Russia (or more specifically Moscow) already has a missile shield...
cite?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2008, 07:24:59 AM »

You had them already as an ally, but you blew it by encouraging (that's how it looked to the Russians) the economic collapse and by treating them as vanquished enemies.
Letting former S.S.R.'s become NATO members didn't hurt either.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 02:15:06 PM »

cite?

A-135.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2008, 06:54:08 PM »

Ah, I thought you meant they had something that would work Smiley
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 10:09:29 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2008, 05:28:09 PM by tsionebreicruoc »

I agree with both quotes

To defend my scenario:

As long as we have Bush administration at power, I think everything can be possible. I think they can play as bad as they can turn Russia and China and others against West just by striking on Iran

Letting former S.S.R.'s become NATO members didn't hurt either.

I precisely think that the old fight NATO vs. USSR is still in minds of some of the russian administration and if they think they can hurt US if this one seems to be weaker by opening a new hard military front, I think there are chances that they would, especially if they find strong opportunist allies.

To me, the question would be do these countries (Russia, China) would limit them to economic power or would they also want to gain power by force? I personally can't say, I just see chances that to me shouldn't be ignored for the second proposition.

To me, here is a very good question. In this sense, pessimist for pessimist, concerning as much the possibility for Europe to be strong by herself as the one for a big conflict to arise, I wasn't really opposite to the shield that US wanted to build in Poland and Czech republic. Last thing I heard about it, is that the project was still on air but suspended.

I also heard, in a youtube clip (such a source!), that there was a doctrine in Pentagone which theorized what could be modern nuclear war, with small nukes (small but 6xHiroshima), and that this one would be used if US see that risks of escalating are too important in a conflict. I don't know much about it, and didn't look further, if someone has informations...

To answer your question. I don't know, but I think that's a really good question.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 10:44:57 AM »

I don't see it.  There are probably plenty of older politicians in Russia who would be more than happy to try and nuke every Western country into the ground, and vice versa.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 04:41:23 PM »

I don't see it.  There are probably plenty of older politicians in Russia who would be more than happy to try and nuke every Western country into the ground, and vice versa.

Some, maybe, but not that many. The Soviet politicians of the 1980s were rational by and large.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2008, 12:58:32 AM »

Some, maybe, but not that many. The Soviet politicians of the 1980s were rational by and large.

The powerful ones were, but most of the sane people are now too old, and have retired.  We're left with the people who were unimportant 20 years ago; and we don't know what they would have done.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2008, 09:49:33 AM »

The powerful ones were, but most of the sane people are now too old, and have retired.  We're left with the people who were unimportant 20 years ago; and we don't know what they would have done.

I agree
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2008, 01:01:53 PM »

Could be worse though. At least Russia is a sham democracy and not an outright junta...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies