Affirmative action ban heads for ballot in 5 states (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:18:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Affirmative action ban heads for ballot in 5 states (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Affirmative action ban heads for ballot in 5 states  (Read 2507 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« on: March 08, 2008, 01:25:24 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Racism deniers.

Affirmative action reinforces racism.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 02:26:20 PM »

Well, really, it does.  It just does it in an indirect way.  Companies give preferential treatment to women and minorities, and white men get pissed off.  Racist white men, working with a few non-racist, good, but very naive black people to create ballot initiatives to end affirmative action, and there you have it!

But I really think we have bigger fish to fry here.  We aren't going to end racism and reduced opportunities for minorities by putting a band aid on the problem (with preferential hiring practices).  We need to work on ending poverty in our cities and on our Indian reservations and improve schools in our cities.  Ultimately, that will allow disadvantaged minorities to gain the skills necessary to compete with upper middle class suburban white kids.

I agree wholeheartedly. I can sympathize with the intentions of affirmative action but it's really just ignoring the original wrongdoing against women and minorities that starts much earlier than that job interview or school application. It's not racist or sexist to believe that the person best qualified should get the opportunity. Of course we need to have equalizing institutions in place to help disadvantaged minorities or whoever else climb the social and economic ladders, but it needs to be on a basis besides your genes. This is fighting fire with fire, which, while sounding totally awesome, does nothing but burn everything down.

Well cited! I concede.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies