was this a low blow?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:03:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  was this a low blow?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: was this a low blow?  (Read 2254 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2008, 03:47:37 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

especially since those Jim Crow Democrats have been voting straight ticket Republican since Reagan, and probably since long before that...
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 03:52:30 PM »

It is indeed a low blow.  I am so phucking sick of Republicans comparing modern Democrats to the Jim Crow racists.  Strom Thurmond was the last Jim Crow in the Senate, and he was Republican!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 03:54:11 PM »

As far as I can tell, she's just talking about why her father joined.  It would be a low blow if she was saying that is why she is still a Republican.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 05:38:01 PM »

especially since those Jim Crow Democrats have been voting straight ticket Republican since Reagan, and probably since long before that...

Ignorance

You do realize that old school Democrats in Alabama, Mississippi, etc. are still insanely favored to win state and local offices in these states, right?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 05:39:27 PM »

Ignorance

You do realize that old school Democrats in Alabama, Mississippi, etc. are still insanely favored to win state and local offices in these states, right?

True, but tell me why no Democrat has come close to winning the South since Jimmy Carter in '76?  And what about the House and Senate?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 05:41:04 PM »

Ignorance

True, but tell me why no Democrat has come close to winning the South since Jimmy Carter in '76?  And what about the House and Senate?

I don't get what that proves. They vote Republican for President, Senate and U.S. House so that makes them more racist than voting for the Dems for local and state races?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 05:41:33 PM »

Ignorance

they vote GOP at the national level without any question.

and Dem stranglehold on such offices has been really going into the toilet in the deep South as of the past 10-15 years.  notice how the all have the first and second Republican Governors since Reconstruction.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 06:01:25 PM »

Ignorance

and Dem stranglehold on such offices has been really going into the toilet in the deep South as of the past 10-15 years.  notice how the all have the first and second Republican Governors since Reconstruction.

That's fine but they also vote for the Dems at the state (aside from Governor) and local level almost without question also.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 06:47:43 PM »

Ignorance

That's fine but they also vote for the Dems at the state (aside from Governor) and local level almost without question also.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to prove
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 07:04:30 PM »

Ignorance

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to prove

It was being said that the racists in the south are completely unified behind the GOP because straight ticket GOP voting was apparently commong there. I'm saying it isn't. The Dems still win many races on the state and local levels. So, basically, there is no one party for these racists.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 07:08:19 PM »

those Democrats have nothing to do with the national party
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 07:27:41 PM »

those Democrats have nothing to do with the national party

Oh, of course not.

Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 07:29:33 PM »

Yes, that was definitely below the belt.  Only Republicans should be attacked for racism.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 07:41:47 PM »

aren't we talking about the Deep South?  a pro-choice West Virginian doesn't exactly fit the Dixiecrat mold.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 08:04:28 PM »

Thing is, the Dixiecrats either shut up, changed their ways, died, or retired. George Wallace and Orval Faubus both endorsed Jesse Jackson when he ran for president in the 80s. Robert Byrd has stated that he regrets voting against the Civil Rights Act. Even Strom Thurmond recanted his views on segregation, hired black staffers, and campaigned for black votes. The only senator who remained a hard-core racist until his last days in office was Jesse Helms, and he had switched parties  very early in his career.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 08:07:53 PM »

I have a (very) hard time thinking of Byrd or Wallace as Dixiecrats. And it's not as easy as you might think with Faubus either...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 08:23:23 PM »

aren't we talking about the Deep South?  a pro-choice West Virginian doesn't exactly fit the Dixiecrat mold.

Apparently Pro Choice individuals can't be racist...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 08:50:36 PM »

I think his point was more that pro-choice individuals cannot be Dixiecrats.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 09:10:52 PM »

Well, that's good but this thread wasn't about Dixiecrats. Jim Crow wasn't limited to the Deep South.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 09:15:53 PM »

Haven't you been talking about the Deep South since this post?  That's what the entire tract of discussion has been about - "those Democrats," being (I assume) the Dixiecrats.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 09:22:12 PM »

I don't get this - her quote is more of a statement of fact, rather than an opinion or a "low blow", as you put it.

Though I really thought the Democrats had managed to either lynch or drive out all the Republicans in Alabama by 1952.  (now that is a "low blow", for example)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 09:22:55 PM »

Well, that's good but this thread wasn't about Dixiecrats. Jim Crow wasn't limited to the Deep South.

True, but we've been talking about the Deep South.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 09:25:52 PM »

Haven't you been talking about the Deep South since this post?  That's what the entire tract of discussion has been about - "those Democrats," being (I assume) the Dixiecrats.

I'm talking about southern Democrats being successful in state and local races across the south.

Ok, well you got off topic. The topic was about Jim Crow/racist Democrats of the past. I was saying they still exist and not just in the Deep South.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 11:16:57 PM »

if i remember correctly, joe kennedy wanted to register as a republican, but they wouldnt let him because he was irish.

the democrats did.

is that a low blow?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 12:54:00 AM »

I have a (very) hard time thinking of Byrd or Wallace as Dixiecrats. And it's not as easy as you might think with Faubus either...
Wallace wasn't a Dixiecrat? What?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies