NY Times: Gov. Spitzer linked to prostitution ring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:57:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY Times: Gov. Spitzer linked to prostitution ring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: NY Times: Gov. Spitzer linked to prostitution ring  (Read 9992 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 05:38:41 PM »

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 05:45:36 PM »

They interviewed 900 people within four hours?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 06:09:29 PM »

When it comes to prolificness, SurveyUSA = God.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 06:11:34 PM »

Obviously, Clinton supporters are corrupt prostitute-lovers. All of them. Supporters of John McCain are the most moral, red-blooded, and God-loving of all Americans.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 06:12:42 PM »

Considering the number of people they have to be polling each day just to put out their usual polls, it's quite doable, especially since we're in a bit of a lull politics wise at the moment.  Whether the numbers match those that might be obtained after a full day for people to make sense of the story is another thing entirely.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 06:21:03 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0308/No_allies.html
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 06:21:47 PM »

Spitzer is very much a one-man show in Democratic politics. Hillary Clinton is probably relieved right now at how thin their connections are -- he was a lukewarm surrogate, and his proposal for drivers licenses for illegal immigrants was a disaster for her.

But this also means that few Democrats are rushing to his aid, and the  Washington legal group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington -- which spends much of its time tormenting Republicans -- seems to be taking the opportunity to prove its bipartisan probity:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0308/No_allies.html

Oh, no, not a $500 fine.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 06:22:56 PM »

If this is true (and I see no reason why it isn't), I'm now officially ashamed to have ever voted for him - one of the worst votes I've ever made.
Shouldn't you regret your vote because of his imperious and inept governing style?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008, 06:23:52 PM »

The Mann Act is a fascinating, rather old piece of legislation.  Nice to see it being brought off the dust-heap.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 06:26:03 PM »

If this is true (and I see no reason why it isn't), I'm now officially ashamed to have ever voted for him - one of the worst votes I've ever made.
Shouldn't you regret your vote because of his imperious and inept governing style?

Of course.  But this puts it over the line into the *ashamed* category.  As would I be if I had voted for Vitter (who will survive long-term) or Craig (who won't).
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2008, 06:38:41 PM »

Of course.  But this puts it over the line into the *ashamed* category.  As would I be if I had voted for Vitter (who will survive long-term) or Craig (who won't).
If he'd had an extramartial relationship, would you still see this as the  tipping point from bad vote to "one of the worst votes I've ever made"?

I have to ask myself, why couldn't the Governor of New York just have amorous relations with his secretary or some other starstruck woman? Why pay $4,300 to a professional sex worker?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2008, 06:42:44 PM »

If he'd had an extramartial relationship, would you still see this as the  tipping point from bad vote to "one of the worst votes I've ever made"?

Probably not.  And it's not just the illegality of the offense involved, which is clearly prostitution and a violation of the Mann Act.

Rather, it's the hypocrisy of the man.  You bust prostitution rings and lambast their owners and then go off and become involved in prostitution yourself.  Jimmy Swaggart has nothing on Eliot Spitzer.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2008, 06:47:52 PM »

Probably not.  And it's not just the illegality of the offense involved, which is clearly prostitution and a violation of the Mann Act.

Rather, it's the hypocrisy of the man.  You bust prostitution rings and lambast their owners and then go off and become involved in prostitution yourself.  Jimmy Swaggart has nothing on Eliot Spitzer.
I agree about the hypocrisy point. It seems that the moral duplicity fairy is now dumping on Democrats after exposing the sexual indiscretions of anti-gay Republicans from Idaho to Florida.

That Spitzer had gone after Dick Grasso's sex life (which was not germane to a financial improprieties investigation) also adds to the rich hypocrisy stew.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2008, 06:56:49 PM »

I have to ask myself, why couldn't the Governor of New York just have amorous relations with his secretary or some other starstruck woman? Why pay $4,300 to a professional sex worker?

The utmost discretion is usually a key part of the prostitute's job.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2008, 06:58:02 PM »

The utmost discretion is usually a key part of the prostitute's job.
Joe Republic, where'd you find that sig? That's hilarious!
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »

Dude, step into reality. Spitzer won 69-29. Your vote did not matter then, so why do you act as if this scandal stabs you with a knife? If you hadn't've voted for Spitzer and instead voted for Faso, nothing would've changed.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »

The philandering prostitute enabling hypocrite should resign now!

Spitzer cannot only kiss this prostitute good bye, he can kiss any presidential ambitions he may have ever had good bye as well.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2008, 07:21:41 PM »

Spitzer cannot only kiss this prostitute good bye, he can kiss any presidential ambitions he may have ever had good bye as well.

And Vitter and Craig alongside him. Cheesy
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2008, 07:24:59 PM »

Dude, step into reality. Spitzer won 69-29. Your vote did not matter then, so why do you act as if this scandal stabs you with a knife? If you hadn't've voted for Spitzer and instead voted for Faso, nothing would've changed.

Because it was an affirmative vote for me, not one that I made under the *lesser of two evils* scenario that is often presented.

The fact of whether the vote mattered to the final outcome is immaterial.  Only very rarely does one's vote really affect the final result in any election.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2008, 07:31:51 PM »

And Vitter and Craig alongside him. Cheesy

Absolutely.

All three should be selling insurance.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2008, 07:46:26 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2008, 07:51:25 PM by StateBoiler »

Because it was an affirmative vote for me, not one that I made under the *lesser of two evils* scenario that is often presented.

The fact of whether the vote mattered to the final outcome is immaterial.  Only very rarely does one's vote really affect the final result in any election.

Well, it happens. Just remember that politics is little more than a parlor game where people compete for the right to fulfill their ambition for power. If you remember that simple point for everyone, it should come as little surprise that the majority of politicians are scumbags.
Conan
conan

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2008, 08:13:32 PM »

I hope Patterson carries out Spitzer's agenda. Spitzer's such an idiot. Total let-down.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2008, 09:42:54 PM »

Sptizer should resign, or be impeached.  He should be indicted.  Crime is crime, whether committed by a Democrat or Republican.  I'm ashamed of him.  I am not ashamed of my past support for Spitzer and I shouldn't be.  But I can no longer support him.  He's a criminal and has broken the law.

I know, I know -- Larry Craig, David Vitter, Jeff Gannon...the list of Republicans with sex scandals (possibly criminal) goes on and on.  But so what?  We're Democrats.  We need to clean up our house first.  Spitzer campaigned as a law enforcer.  Now, he admits to being a lawbreaker.  Sorry -- I have no sympathy for the man.  I *am* sorry, of course, for all the pain he has caused to his wife, family, friends and supporters.  He should be ashamed.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2008, 11:47:49 PM »

Does the Mann Act mean it's illegal to be in a state bordering Nevada and hire a Nevada prostitute to come in to your area?
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2008, 12:03:46 AM »

I wish they had recall elections in NY.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length