After all this recent Obama hubub...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:23:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  After all this recent Obama hubub...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you really think Obama has a better chance of beating McCain than Hillary?
Yes
No
This represents a change in my opinion.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: After all this recent Obama hubub...  (Read 1446 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2008, 08:54:07 AM »

Well?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:02:49 AM »

No. I used to think he was a much more dangerous, but I've realized the potential for more skeletons in his closet is much higher than Hillary. We already know most of what we need to know about her.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:29:18 AM »

The potential for a big Obama win is higher than for a big Hillary win... but the potential for a big Obama loss is also higher than for a big Hillary loss. High stakes electoral gambling!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 10:09:49 AM »

If this had happened in any time after late September in an McCain/Obama race, and Obama handled it the same way, it would have been fatal.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 10:10:16 AM »

Well, I've been saying no after his March 5 performance.  

But meekermariner is correct, it's all about a risk-reward strategy - Obama gives the chance of a larger victory, but also the chance of a larger loss (or a loss in general).  After March 5, I believe that the risk now outweighs the reward.  And after the Wright thingy, the chance of a larger victory may be gone too (too early to tell).
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 10:12:58 AM »

yes
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 10:15:02 AM »

The potential for a big Obama win is higher than for a big Hillary win... but the potential for a big Obama loss is also higher than for a big Hillary loss. High stakes electoral gambling!

Yup, this is why I voted for Clinton in the primary. I also think she'd make a better President, too, but this is why I wasn't swayed by the promise of a fresh start blah blah blah.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 10:18:46 AM »

If this had happened in any time after late September in an McCain/Obama race, and Obama handled it the same way, it would have been fatal.

Actually, I think it might have the opposite reaction.  Right now, we're still "learning" who Obama is.  By September, he would be an established personality and the release of these tapes could be viewed as a last-minute "gotcha," possibly backfiring on whomever released them and giving Obama a boost going into October and possibly November.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 03:07:02 PM »

It's still too early to tell what long term effect this has, but if you take a look at the Rasmussen tracking poll, McCain has gained about the same amount on both Hillary and Obama this month, so whatever effect it has looks to be hurting the Democrats in general instead of Obama in particular.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 03:11:45 PM »

The latest Realclearpolitics averages have McCain up 1 on Clinton and 1.4 on Obama. That's too close to be of any value.

Obama was consistently doing better in RCP averages before, though. Also hard to say if the above numbers are fully factoring in the Wright controversy as some polls may have been taken before it (of course, the current numbers could be unnaturally unkind to Obama due to said controversy as well....some people who have turned away from him now may come back to him once it gets shoved off the front page and people remember again that the economy is heading towards a possible depression and the war is costing us several billion dollars per week).
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 03:12:02 PM »

Even after all this, Obama still seems the better candidate to take on McCain in November.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 03:28:52 PM »

Actually, I definitely think Clinton is the stronger candidate, ceteri paribus. Given the path that remains for her to the nomination though I'm not too sure. If she has to get it in a what is percieved as an undemocratic fashion she will be weaker in the general.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 04:21:42 PM »

Even after all this, Obama still seems the better candidate to take on McCain in November.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 04:35:47 PM »

No.  Never have so far either.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 04:40:25 PM »

Both of them always had an equally likely chance of losing to their Republican opponent.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 06:21:45 PM »

Both of them always had an equally likely chance of losing to their Republican opponent.

I agree.  I am gonna work my ass off in the general.  Again.  But I really have my doubts either one can beat McCain. My guy, Dodd, couldn't have either.  Biden, probably.  Richardson would have definitely beaten McCain --- IF --- he knew how to debate.  I am still aghast at how poorly he acquitted himself in the debates and on the stump.  He was just plain awful.

McCain is gonna win this thing -- UNLESS -- the Democrats run a flawless campaign and play serious hardball with the guy.  Or he's found in bed with a live boy or a dead woman.

I'll just spend four years saying, "At least he's not Bush."  :-)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 06:49:16 PM »

I agree.  I am gonna work my ass off in the general.  Again.  But I really have my doubts either one can beat McCain. My guy, Dodd, couldn't have either.  Biden, probably.  Richardson would have definitely beaten McCain --- IF --- he knew how to debate.  I am still aghast at how poorly he acquitted himself in the debates and on the stump.  He was just plain awful.

McCain is gonna win this thing -- UNLESS -- the Democrats run a flawless campaign and play serious hardball with the guy.  Or he's found in bed with a live boy or a dead woman.

I'll just spend four years saying, "At least he's not Bush."  :-)

...or is he. ...and if we can't win at this point, we can just forget about the White House until we get in a depression or worse.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 06:52:38 PM »

Yes. IMO, an incident in March won't sink him.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 07:46:42 PM »

Ultimately, Clinton would be a stronger candidate against McCain in the general election.

My preference is a general election between McCain and Obama, as McCain has a higher chance of defeating Obama than he does of defeating Clinton.

Obama's inexperience and past statements would come back to haunt him in the election, and who knows what other shoes could drop about Obama during the course of the campaign.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 08:22:50 PM »

Ultimately, Clinton would be a stronger candidate against McCain in the general election.

My preference is a general election between McCain and Obama, as McCain has a higher chance of defeating Obama than he does of defeating Clinton.

Obama's inexperience and past statements would come back to haunt him in the election, and who knows what other shoes could drop about Obama during the course of the campaign.

However, McCain confusing Iran with al Qaida will definitely hurt him when he's trying to sell himself as a foreign policy wonk.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies