What do think is your candidate's biggest weakness?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:28:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  What do think is your candidate's biggest weakness?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What do think is your candidate's biggest weakness?  (Read 10745 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2008, 12:40:07 AM »

Honesty time people. Since we know Clinton, Obama and McCain all have various strengths, what do their supporters consider their greatest weakness/es?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 12:46:08 AM »

McCain:  Being a Republican.  Temper.  Being a Republican with a temper.

Clinton: Low ceiling.  Personality.  Somewhat ripe for schadenfreude.

Obama: He needs to improve his interview skills.  Needs "sharpness."  If he doesn't respond well to McCain hammering him on policy, he could flop.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 01:02:33 AM »

hillary clinton had one weakness - obama

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 03:38:52 AM »

He's black.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 09:33:13 AM »

I think race is overrated, to be honest, but I'd suggest that race has actually helped our candidate more than hurt him.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 05:31:06 PM »

McCain: He's an old geezer, who reiforces that image with his "stay the course" rhetoric on Iraq.

Obama: Let's face it, it would help if he showed more signs of backing his words with actions.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 06:17:17 PM »

McCain: He's an old geezer, who reiforces that image with his "stay the course" rhetoric on Iraq.

Obama: Let's face it, it would help if he showed more signs of backing his words with actions.

He's a conservative. He's all about staying the course.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 10:23:31 PM »

McCain --  1.  Flip Flops   2.  Iraq

Obama --  1.  Experience   2.  His name, not that it bothers me...but the GOP will spin it so that it bothers Joe and Suzy Sixpack.

Clinton --  1.  Past Clinton scandals    2.  Perceived as a cutthroat c*nt
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 02:03:07 AM »

Obama --  1.  Experience   2.  His name, not that it bothers me...but the GOP will spin it so that it bothers Joe and Suzy Sixpack.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 06:57:31 AM »

I don't really have a dog in this race (I prefer the two demdogs to the gopdog obviously). At least the primaries in the '60's and '70's had candidates that I could easily cheer for.

But for the three still in the running:

1. McCain; the fact that's he's a member of the same party as the unpopular incumbent (quite how much that hurts I don't think we know yet), certain past ethical issues, the fact that he can get angry quickly. And there are some things that might be weaknesses but might not (or might be balanced out by something else). His age is one of those things, his likely lack of appeal to Bush's new voters in 2004 is another. I don't think that Iraq will be quite the problem for him as some assume (except insofar as it ties into the first point).

2. Obama; his tan is just a little bit too dark for a lot of people (read: old people especially), he has a "foreign" name, his cronies seem to have decided to scream "racism" at all criticism (this is actually far, far worse than the first two points), he has a disturbing lack of appeal to the traditional working class (both metropolitan AND non-metropolitan), he has a disturbing lack of appeal to Hispanics and his campaign has blown two very, very good chances to lock up the nomination. To this we can add the usual stuff about lack of experience (but see McCain's age on that), his windish rhetoric (which is increasingly irritating... but perhaps I'm in a minority on that), and a general perception that he's a bit weak on the policy front. In addition to that he'd be damaged a great deal if his image gets tarnished even a little. How much of a weakness that actually is depends entirely on how many skeletons there be out there.

3. Clinton; she is very, very, very polarising and has an absurdly negative image (the two are just different sides of the same coin really). This is the main problem and it dwarfs all others. She may also have problems with black turnout and the record of her husband in office is something of a double-edged sword. Her campaign has also demonstrated a certain level of incompetence at times.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 04:37:02 PM »

I think Al outlined everything pretty well.

The economy is a huge problem for McCain (the Dem nominee needs to have a commercial with McCain's quote about not knowing much about the economy juxtaposed with pictures of closing factories). He needs to walk a fine line between supporting Bush just enough to make the GOP base happy and opposing him enough to appeal to the swing voters, most of whom are pretty unhappy with Bush. He does have ethical issues too, as was previously noted. The Keating S and L scandal needs to be brought up again.

Obama has of course the lack of experience and the perception of ties to the radical black community which could potentially be very harmful. I think that's all been gone into pretty well.

Clinton has the problem of being tied to the status quo (all of that talk of a Bush-Clinton royalty and such). She really needs to show in a substantive way how she is the candidate supporting a new direction as opposed to McCain who represents more of the same....biggest issue I see with her is that McCain might actually be able to pull off being viewed as the "change" candidate rather than her.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 07:16:27 PM »

He's running with George W. Bush and Co. tied to his waist.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 01:33:15 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2008, 04:40:06 AM by Fmr Gov. Polnut »

McCain: His choice to tie himself to Bush (and his policies), being a Republican, his age, his temperamental personality

Obama: Weak policy delivery, his supporters inability to see ANY weaknesses in him at all (which leaves him extremely unprepared for the real attacks later), inexperience. Weakness in key demographics.

Clinton: Divisive figure, establishment representative, viewed as having an abrasive personality.
8 out of 11 is not deserved
pollwatch99-b

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 02:11:59 PM »

McCain : Extreme honor and patriotism.  I know that sounds crazy as a weakness but this man will do what he believes is right, no matter what.  Remember he stayed in a POW camp being tortured rather than go home and leave other prisoners behind.  If he believes Iran represents a threat and gets nuclear weapons, I fear his extreme honor and patriotism will lead us to military action without the support of any allies. 

Clinton : The most polarizing and distrusted politician of the last 20+ years.  She will not unite the country and we'll have 4 more years of nothing but fighting.  We've had enough.

Obama : Inexperience combined with a tendency to surround himself with academia ( like Dr. Susan Rice and Samantha Powers ).  He needs to have some solid foreign policy advisor's who understand the world both intellectually and politically
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 08:58:06 PM »

Obama: Inexperience (especially with media attacks and scandals), lack of specificity on issues (no past votes), inability to connect with many blue-collar workers and Hispanics, and his connections with somewhat controversial figures.

I've thought about changing my support to Clinton, I've never hated her, but I still want to elect hope over bureaucracy.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 06:00:03 AM »

Weakness as candidate or as president? Beccause there is a huge difference.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 11:53:23 PM »

As a candidate... since we really have no clue what kind of president any of them would be.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 02:16:24 PM »

Mc Cain: age
Clinton: Bill and  hard liberal woman
Obama: black, lack of experience and hard liberal man (and unamerican too)

The moral majority will vote for Mc Cain.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 10:25:47 AM »

My candidate?  The fact that he's, like, 97.  And so damn susceptible to who his VP pick will be.

(One I'll likely share very little in common with.)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 10:26:24 AM »

My candidate?  The fact that he's, like, 97.  And so damn susceptible to who his VP pick will be.

(One I'll likely share very little in common with.)

Same
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 11:45:20 AM »

His age, most of all.  I wish sometimes that McCain were at least ten to fifteen years younger.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 02:41:38 PM »

I think McCain's biggest weakness as a candidate is that he's not a very good politician. He's very bad at being dishonest and he sucks at pandering. Unlike Obama supporters I don't consider him to be some Messiah; he's a politician and he wants to be elected. But it's clear to me that he doesn't like to behave "politically." Because of this he does things like saying the US could be in Iraq for 100 years or singing "Bomb, bomb Iran" or saying he's not good with the economy. You'd never see more slick pols like Obama or Clinton do that kind of thing, and that could be a great liability.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 04:48:53 PM »

Let's see what I think is wrong with Barack Obama:

1. National Inexperience compared to Senators John McCain and Hillary Clinton.
2. Uses sound bites too much.
3. Weakness in key demographics, which ultimately could cost him in the General.
4. Won't be able to answer a 3AM phone call. Hehe
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 08:01:26 PM »

Obama: The media is a John McCain love fest
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 06:10:08 PM »

What is my candidate's biggest weakness?  Hmmm ... name recognition, funding, access to the media, etc.  Just goes to show how hard it is for Independents like Steve Adams to have equal access under this Dem/Rep dominated government.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies