What do think is your candidate's biggest weakness? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:08:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  What do think is your candidate's biggest weakness? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What do think is your candidate's biggest weakness?  (Read 10796 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: March 18, 2008, 06:00:03 AM »

Weakness as candidate or as president? Beccause there is a huge difference.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 02:41:38 PM »

I think McCain's biggest weakness as a candidate is that he's not a very good politician. He's very bad at being dishonest and he sucks at pandering. Unlike Obama supporters I don't consider him to be some Messiah; he's a politician and he wants to be elected. But it's clear to me that he doesn't like to behave "politically." Because of this he does things like saying the US could be in Iraq for 100 years or singing "Bomb, bomb Iran" or saying he's not good with the economy. You'd never see more slick pols like Obama or Clinton do that kind of thing, and that could be a great liability.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 02:42:53 PM »

Your candidate has no personal weaknesses whatsoever? How wonderful it must feel to support an incarnation of God himself...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 05:33:44 PM »

Your candidate has no personal weaknesses whatsoever? How wonderful it must feel to support an incarnation of God himself...

The question is about his biggest weakness.

Yes, but supposed media-bias is not a weakness. Aside from the obvious point that any hack will say the media is against their candidate it's not a weakness of a candidate, imo. If the media is biased in favour of McCain this would hurt any candidate running against him, not specifically Obama. It's pretty obviously a cop-out for someone who cannot admit to their candidate having any weaknesses.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 10:27:06 AM »

The question is about his biggest weakness.

Yes, but supposed media-bias is not a weakness. Aside from the obvious point that any hack will say the media is against their candidate it's not a weakness of a candidate, imo. If the media is biased in favour of McCain this would hurt any candidate running against him, not specifically Obama. It's pretty obviously a cop-out for someone who cannot admit to their candidate having any weaknesses.

We can beg to differ there. While I wouldn't say it's the biggest problem he has to deal with - that's still his inexperience and his tendency to shoot his mouth off from time to time (though even there we can argue that actually it's quite endearing because it means he's not as robotically media-trained and PR-driven like some of his rivals, but I'd probably be stretching it if I said that) - it's fairly obvious, to me at least, that he's up against a status quo which includes much of the mainstream media; who are more likely to make a meal of things like the Wright debacle and the "bitter"-remarks than had these things affected Clinton or McCain, solely to undermine Obama (the fact that no-one has picked up on the fact that McCain has cavorted with some very dodgy people himself kinda supports that view). The ABC "debate" last week, where he kept being hammered with one "gotcha"-question after another in the obvious but vain hope that they could get another clumsy soundbite out of him they could then repeat over and over in the news, was rather illustrative of that.

Again, this is your perception being an Obama supporter, and I remain quite unconvinced about it, to be honest. But even if you're right it's absurd to say that Obama's biggest weakness is that the media likes McCain. It's not a characteristic of Obama. I could say McCain's biggest weakness is that Obama is charismatic but that would make just as little sense.

And, Beet, I disagree. The principle of the matter remains the same, even if Obama is the nominee.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies