UK Local Elections : May 1st 2008 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:50:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Local Elections : May 1st 2008 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK Local Elections : May 1st 2008  (Read 19147 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« on: March 31, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »

All the best btw Smiley
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 11:20:44 AM »

Local Elections Coverage (so far confirmed)

BBC One Network
12.05am - 6.00am Election Night 2008
Hosted by David Dimbleby, with Jermery Vine and the BBC political correspondents for Wales, London, the Midlands and the North West.

I'll be at home this year Smiley Last year I hung about the count until the last machine packed in and called it a day. The plus side was I ended up passing luke warm tea to the media people and then having biscuits and watching the returns on the tv screens in the hall. One big happy family. Apart from 'those who shall not be named' not sitting with the rest of us. They hogged all the good seats, so much for being 'Christian' Grin

Are you going to be at the count Harry?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 11:42:21 AM »

I'll be at home this year Smiley Last year I hung about the count until the last machine packed in and called it a day. The plus side was I ended up passing luke warm tea to the media people and then having biscuits and watching the returns on the tv screens in the hall. One big happy family. Apart from 'those who shall not be named' not sitting with the rest of us. They hogged all the good seats, so much for being 'Christian' Grin Are you going to be at the count Harry?

I most certainly will be (with mobile phone switched to "wobble mode" whenever a ward in the Crewe and Nantwich constituency declares), based on what happened in 2004, Ciliau Aeron should be one of the first wards to declare (I expect before 11.30pm) and if I can find a way of texting the result to someone who's a member of this board, I can try and get the Ceredigion result by 1.00am.

I gave a radio interview to an Irish woman. I have no idea if it was ever broadcast Sad
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 04:34:34 PM »

Wales should get STV Cheesy Just think of the multi member wards!

(This seems to be the day for me saying stuff about STV)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 05:58:22 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2008, 06:01:00 PM by afleitch »

And in the 1982 Glasgow Hillhead by-election (won by Roy Jenkins) someone called Douglas Parkin changed his name by deed poll to Roy Jenkins and ran for a party also called the SDP...

Looking it over, I duscovered that the weird thing is that other SDP was actually the older of the two parties to use the name, having been founded two years earlier than its more famous cousin.

The idea of a Social Democratic party had been formenting for a good while, certainly within Labour circles since the 50's (even pre war actually) and by the 70's increasingly outwith the Labour Party, with the election of Dick Taverne (Democratic Labour) in 73 for example, though that was more of a personal vote. Then came the Manifesto Group, yadda yadda and then we know how the story goes from there.

As for the chap who stood in Hillhead he was unrelated to all that. He was overshadowed bless him.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 02:19:10 PM »

Shame Scotland isn't voting Sad

Though they do intend to stagger the elections after the debacle last year with locals expected in 2010 or 2012.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 04:16:32 PM »

Less than three hours to go now. Weathers been good for most of the day (including the crucial few hours after five pm) so hopefully turnout won't be any worse than merely dreadful.

What is the usual turnout in UK locals?

Varies quite alot. Anything from about 30 - 40% with spots above and below that I'd say.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies