Request for Direct Quotes/Sources
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:22:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Request for Direct Quotes/Sources
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Request for Direct Quotes/Sources  (Read 653 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2008, 09:37:03 AM »

Could someone please present a list of Reverend Jeremiah Wright's more controversial quotes and cite the sources for these?  I do not question the veracity of Forumites' claims, but I would like to read Wright in his own words.

I am getting emails from Clinton and McCain supporters quoting Wright as saying...

"Whites caused 9-11"
"George Bush and Dick Cheney used the CIA to blow up the Twin Towers to start a war".
"Whites are devils and blacks should rise up like Nat Turner and kill them all".
"Israel should be wiped off the map and Jews are Christ killers"
"Islam is the true religion."

Now -- these "quotes" seem unlikely to me.  And no one on the Forum is attributing them to Pastor Wright, I don't think.  But I think it would help me greatly if we could find the precise quotes of Reverend Wright, preferably in context, and then analyze them.

If Wright said anything remotely resembling what's being attributed to him in the emails I am getting (mostly from Christian fundamentalists, but some from Clinton backers) -- then Obama will have to completely disavow the man to keep my support.

My GUT tells me these are urban legends, where the original quotes are much more innocuous.  But please -- instruct me.  Set my gut straight.  I hate and detest the Anti-Semitism of Jesse Jackson and the white-baiting, fear and hate-motivated nonsense of Al Sharpton (Tawana Brawley).  So I'm prepared to dump Obama over Wright.  But I want to see what the man ACTUALLY said.  Not what Newsmax or World net Daily say he said.
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 09:41:09 AM »

Yeah, I think you can be pretty sure they're not accurate.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 10:20:20 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/03/14/obama-minister-under-scrutiny

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/politics/blog/2008/03/obama.html
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:25:21 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2008, 10:50:46 AM by MODU »

Here is one of the videos:  "God Damn America"

EDIT:  By the way, that video also highlights why the church can lose their tax-exempt status by comparing Obama and Killary directly.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 10:38:32 AM »

Branson, those quotes don't trouble me at all.  I think the first two are completely true.  The third, probably overstated and overgeneralized but understandable coming from someone preaching to historically oppressed people.

The larger, longer "God Damn America" quote is troublesome to me. 

I've said before that conservatives should have the integrity to own up to America's shameful history.  But I have ALSO said that liberals need to have the integrity to celebrate America's wonderful history.  It's not an either-or proposition.

And it sounds to me, in that quote, like Pastor Wright believes America has never done anything good or constructive in the world.  And that, I deplore.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 11:08:26 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2008, 11:12:36 AM by Tender Branson »

Branson, those quotes don't trouble me at all.  I think the first two are completely true.  The third, probably overstated and overgeneralized but understandable coming from someone preaching to historically oppressed people.

The larger, longer "God Damn America" quote is troublesome to me. 

I've said before that conservatives should have the integrity to own up to America's shameful history.  But I have ALSO said that liberals need to have the integrity to celebrate America's wonderful history.  It's not an either-or proposition.

And it sounds to me, in that quote, like Pastor Wright believes America has never done anything good or constructive in the world.  And that, I deplore.

Of course Republicans will exploit all of these remarks in the last weeks of the 2008 campaign and, I have to say, the spots featuring this material will have a big potential to derail Obama in crucial states like Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Especially the "god damn america" and "chickens are coming home to roost" line is a campaign spot dream for the GOP/McCain campaign to rally the base ...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies