McCain Ad - Man in the Arena
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:22:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain Ad - Man in the Arena
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: McCain Ad - Man in the Arena  (Read 2661 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2008, 07:46:25 PM »

One of the best political Ads I have ever seen (period).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J_A53PAxeR8
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 07:52:07 PM »

It's horrible actually. It makes him look even older. Also he's flying through space for some reason.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 07:56:49 PM »

I like how he added speeches by Teddy Roosevelt and Winston Churchill in his ad....as if he is as remarkable as those two men were. Sorry...it wasnt that great.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 07:57:16 PM »

It's horrible actually. It makes him look even older. Also he's flying through space for some reason.

Ha... its a great effect and I am sure that if Obama used it your would cream your pants.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 08:00:15 PM »

I like how he added speeches by Teddy Roosevelt and Winston Churchill in his ad....as if he is as remarkable as those two men were. Sorry...it wasnt that great.

Obama supporters don't like those people anyway.  Winston Churchill was mean and old.  Also Theodore Roosevelt believed in a powerful America.  He would never say nonsense about how we should do what everyone else says we should and support a foreign agenda.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 08:00:35 PM »

It's meant to draw what I think is a fitting comparison... first of all, it talks about "change" but not in the flighty Obama abstract kind of way... the ads major weakness is that, if you don't know anything about Churchill or TR then you won't get it, but frankly, I don't care about what ignorant people think.  Both Churchill and TR were people who struggled long and hard against grim odds and made it to to top as a result of the struggle, and when they made it, they changed everything.  And neither of them were out to "make friends" either... which you could equate with McCain's independent spirit and "temper".
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 08:02:15 PM »

We had a thread on this.  I still have the same essential comments:

- Makes him seem older
- Bad, generic choice of music
- Good theme
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 08:03:02 PM »

BTW... I love the little video game thing in your sig... oh yes... Obama will level McCain with "Hope".  Oh, HOPE.  My God, just saying it will solve all problems.
King of the Bench
KingoftheBenchPress
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 08:04:41 PM »

Wow - nice ad
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 08:05:18 PM »

We had a thread on this.  I still have the same essential comments:

- Makes him seem older

Why, because of the old references?  Well, maybe people should get themselves an education.  since about a quarter of British people now think Churchill was a myth....

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Somehow, I don't think Rock Me Like a Hurricane would have done it for this ad.  The punch is in the visuals.  If you add too much to the background music then you cause sensory overload.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 08:06:34 PM »

That ad first made me laugh at the sheer stupidity, then I got annoyed and turned it off.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 08:07:15 PM »

Why, because of the old references?  Well, maybe people should get themselves an education.

If people were educated, there would be no need for political ads.

Somehow, I don't think Rock Me Like a Hurricane would have done it for this ad.  The punch is in the visuals.  If you add too much to the background music then you cause sensory overload.

My complaint isn't that it's too soft, but that it's not a fitting selection.  It doesn't communicate the right emotion to me.

Might I suggest Round and Round?  Rock the Ratt, brah.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 08:15:03 PM »

Why, because of the old references?  Well, maybe people should get themselves an education.

If people were educated, there would be no need for political ads.

I concede your point there.  I guess what I meant was that I really don't care if the unwashed masses think its a "good ad" or if it makes him "look old".

My complaint isn't that it's too soft, but that it's not a fitting selection.  It doesn't communicate the right emotion to me.

Might I suggest Round and Round?  Rock the Ratt, brah.
[/quote]

I don't know, I think the mood that they are going for is steady, understated hopefulness (as opposed to Obama's "HOPE OMG), and I think it delivers that well.  Different strokes though.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 08:17:40 PM »

I concede your point there.  I guess what I meant was that I really don't care if the unwashed masses think its a "good ad" or if it makes him "look old".

I don't get the point, then.  We're evaluating a meaningless attempt at plucking America's emotions on a higher level than you admit it deserves?  Tongue

I don't know, I think the mood that they are going for is steady, understated hopefulness (as opposed to Obama's "HOPE OMG), and I think it delivers that well.  Different strokes though.

Actually, I was going to say that!  It is good "hope" music.  But the tone of the ad is referencing the strength of the past.  It's bad "strength of the past" music.  It's too airy.  And the cloud imagery communicates the same thing - change, in a mysterious way.  The ad's substance is anti-mystery.  They clash too much for me.

But, yeah, different strokes.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 08:24:26 PM »

I don't get the point, then.  We're evaluating a meaningless attempt at plucking America's emotions on a higher level than you admit it deserves?  Tongue

Actually, I was going to say that!  It is good "hope" music.  But the tone of the ad is referencing the strength of the past.  It's bad "strength of the past" music.  It's too airy.  And the cloud imagery communicates the same thing - change, in a mysterious way.  The ad's substance is anti-mystery.  They clash too much for me.

But, yeah, different strokes.

See, in terms of the clouds and space, I see kinda a "advance to the future" thing going on.  It bridges the past and the future.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 08:32:14 PM »

I posted this a few days ago...and it was ragged.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 08:58:49 PM »

Excellent ad, certainly doesn't pull in any Democrats minus a fraction of white males, but it seems to me that might be all he needs.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 09:15:19 PM »

Excellent ad, certainly doesn't pull in any Democrats minus a fraction of white males, but it seems to me that might be all he needs.

Hooray for growing the appeal of the party.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 09:18:56 PM »

Hooray for growing the appeal of the party.

What do you suggest mr. cynical
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 09:46:44 PM »

The ad won't pull in anyone because no one will see it except Republicans who want to say "Wow, what a great ad!" and Democrats who only want to mock it.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 10:09:30 PM »

Artistically, it's a nice ad.  As far as message goes, why are there foreigners being associated with McCain, and what's up with all the cars driving back and forth?  More Oil?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 10:10:43 PM »

Artistically, it's a nice ad.  As far as message goes, why are there foreigners being associated with McCain, and what's up with all the cars driving back and forth?  More Oil?

Churchill was half American.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 11:02:29 PM »

The ad won't pull in anyone because no one will see it except Republicans who want to say "Wow, what a great ad!" and Democrats who only want to mock it.

CHRIST IT'S A GEM OF SENSE FROM BRTD.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 11:56:46 PM »

I honestly didn't like that McCain commercial. It reminded me of something I saw on that stupid thing known as the Secret. Why show alot of space and when he was a POW?
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 12:35:27 AM »

Reminds me of KOYAANISQATSI.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies