McCain Ad - Man in the Arena (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:09:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain Ad - Man in the Arena (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McCain Ad - Man in the Arena  (Read 2713 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: March 13, 2008, 08:02:15 PM »

We had a thread on this.  I still have the same essential comments:

- Makes him seem older
- Bad, generic choice of music
- Good theme
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:07:15 PM »

Why, because of the old references?  Well, maybe people should get themselves an education.

If people were educated, there would be no need for political ads.

Somehow, I don't think Rock Me Like a Hurricane would have done it for this ad.  The punch is in the visuals.  If you add too much to the background music then you cause sensory overload.

My complaint isn't that it's too soft, but that it's not a fitting selection.  It doesn't communicate the right emotion to me.

Might I suggest Round and Round?  Rock the Ratt, brah.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 08:17:40 PM »

I concede your point there.  I guess what I meant was that I really don't care if the unwashed masses think its a "good ad" or if it makes him "look old".

I don't get the point, then.  We're evaluating a meaningless attempt at plucking America's emotions on a higher level than you admit it deserves?  Tongue

I don't know, I think the mood that they are going for is steady, understated hopefulness (as opposed to Obama's "HOPE OMG), and I think it delivers that well.  Different strokes though.

Actually, I was going to say that!  It is good "hope" music.  But the tone of the ad is referencing the strength of the past.  It's bad "strength of the past" music.  It's too airy.  And the cloud imagery communicates the same thing - change, in a mysterious way.  The ad's substance is anti-mystery.  They clash too much for me.

But, yeah, different strokes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies