Why do people (suburb lovers) hate tall buildings?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:07:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why do people (suburb lovers) hate tall buildings?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why do people (suburb lovers) hate tall buildings?  (Read 7069 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2008, 01:57:38 PM »

Gabu mentioned this as one of the reasons he hated urban areas so much. But what's so bad? They look really cool, see GM3's signature.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 02:01:19 PM »

Where is he ? Long not posted.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »

He posted something awhile back about why but I forgot because I sure as hell don't miss him. Well except that it'd be amusing to see Gully Foyle make more insane and ridiculously false statements about him.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 02:04:08 PM »

Maybe it's because they're used to being in buildings that are no taller than the big trucks that are parked occasionally outside the local neighborhood market. Or they feel intimidated. But what the hell would I know? I never cared about such things because I never lived in a suburb!(sticks tongue out,)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 02:17:01 PM »

How big are we talking about?

I'm afraid of heights in general and don't like being in skyscrapers or tall urban hotels, but I don't dislike the architecture as much as I'm afraid of heights.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 02:19:16 PM »

I always thought houses should at the very minimum be higher than they're wide in order to not look ridiculous.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 02:35:26 PM »

well my suburb rejected plans for a high-rise apartment building under this rationale.

Tall building ---> Poors ---> Crime ---> Bad Neighborhood

I don't know what the hell they were smoking.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 02:40:36 PM »

well my suburb rejected plans for a high-rise apartment building under this rationale.

Wow, more proof suburbs are retarded. Have they ever heard of Manhattan?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 02:44:22 PM »

Wow, more proof suburbs are retarded. Have they ever heard of Manhattan?
And what's right next to Manhattan? (gasp) The Bronx (fear!) And what would be right next to this tall building? Their property!
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 02:53:25 PM »

Again, a terrible gross generalization for a thread title.  When did I say I hate tall buildings (as your title suggests)?  As an engineer, I love tall buildings.  As someone wanting to get away from the traffic and noise and enjoy nature, tall buildings are not a welcomed sight (because they house more people that make more noise and traffic while obstructing my view of nature).
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 02:58:13 PM »

I like tall buildings. Cheesy
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 03:01:04 PM »

I like moderately tall buildings - like six to twelve or at the very most twenty stories.  But I don't like the really tall ones.  Actually my favorite skyline was Geneva, which is I suppose a bit Paris-like.  Almost all the buildings seemed like six or eight stories there.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 03:11:07 PM »

I like moderately tall buildings - like six to twelve or at the very most twenty stories.  But I don't like the really tall ones.  Actually my favorite skyline was Geneva, which is I suppose a bit Paris-like.  Almost all the buildings seemed like six or eight stories there.
100% agreed here. Way tall buildings create ugly downslope winds, just for one thing.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 03:23:22 PM »

For once, I may agree with BRTD. Now this is just an opinion from one wealthy suburbanite that I know but I still felt like posting it because it's definitley the "suburban" in him speaking.

I was heading downtown with this suburbanite and a friend of mine and we started talking about the new Comcast center...

He was totally confused as to why it was being built. His reasoning? "People don't go in those things [skyscrappers]." My friend and I were just in complete shock.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 05:42:05 PM »

I don't mind them.

For once, I may agree with BRTD. Now this is just an opinion from one wealthy suburbanite that I know but I still felt like posting it because it's definitley the "suburban" in him speaking.

I was heading downtown with this suburbanite and a friend of mine and we started talking about the new Comcast center...

He was totally confused as to why it was being built. His reasoning? "People don't go in those things [skyscrappers]." My friend and I were just in complete shock.

Why did they ever build anything higher than the statue of Ben Franklin in the first place?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 06:08:02 PM »

Take a guess where these places are:

This is Mississauga, which is a suburb of 660,000 west of Toronto. It actually has more skyscrapers than Miami or Atlanta, and many more are planned. All this is part of the city's policy of urbanizing suburbia.

This is North York, which is a 20 minute subway ride north of downtown Toronto. It also is booming with skyscrapers:

The downtown core is also seeing a massive boom in construction, and most of the suburbs are planning high-rise areas in the next few years.

I can't wait to see the skyline in 10 years.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 06:41:58 PM »

It is impressive, if intimidating..

Minneapolis has one of the most balanced, modern skylines in the country, and ranks far higher than other cities of its size (ranked as 25th best sky line in the world, 8th in the U.S.)

I do admit, however, that low-to-mid rise buildings (4-15 stories) make for a more pleasant urban experience.  Sky scrapers are great for a downtown office core where business people go to work and big events take place.

The best places to eat and the best culture is found outside of the center business district.. like Block E or the Warehouse District.

As long as fuel remains relatively cheap and land is plentiful, American cities will follow the general model of dense, sky scraper filled cored, surrounded by a vast sea of low rise buildings.

But there is a transit revolution in the U.S. and many cities are expanding their transit options and development is exploding around these lines.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 07:05:57 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2008, 07:07:58 PM by Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist »

I love tall buildings....when I lived in Texas I loved going into downtown Dallas all the time. I think it has a beautiful skyline...especially at night. Smiley

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 07:13:39 PM »

Gabu mentioned this as one of the reasons he hated urban areas so much. But what's so bad? They look really cool, see GM3's signature.

Of course you don't compliment my picture?  And why not?  It's the same damn city.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 07:23:40 PM »

I don't mind them.

Why did they ever build anything higher than the statue of Ben Franklin in the first place?

Because that was a sane idea and the whole Ben Franklin thing was silly?  Tongue

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 09:43:49 PM »

I love the look of tall buildings... not necessarily to go in them - but they have a place. They look kinda stupid just plonked there for no good reason, without context. I live in the Australian capital city where there is a height limit of I believe 15 storeys. It creates a very pleasant and moderate skyline.

Those buildings were designed to accomodate office and living space in an area of limited land - see Manhattan.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 09:45:33 PM »

One of the nice things about the DC area is there is a height restriction on buildings.  That way, you have a bunch of short buildings that do not block the view of Capitol Hill and the Washington Monument.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 09:51:13 PM »

I work in a pretty tall building (22 stories) though not that big for the area I work in (downtown Manhattan)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 09:53:47 PM »

It is impressive, if intimidating..

Minneapolis has one of the most balanced, modern skylines in the country, and ranks far higher than other cities of its size (ranked as 25th best sky line in the world, 8th in the U.S.)

I do admit, however, that low-to-mid rise buildings (4-15 stories) make for a more pleasant urban experience.  Sky scrapers are great for a downtown office core where business people go to work and big events take place.

The best places to eat and the best culture is found outside of the center business district.. like Block E or the Warehouse District.

As long as fuel remains relatively cheap and land is plentiful, American cities will follow the general model of dense, sky scraper filled cored, surrounded by a vast sea of low rise buildings.

But there is a transit revolution in the U.S. and many cities are expanding their transit options and development is exploding around these lines.

I remember when the IDS tower (tall one on the left) was going up. It was not a balanced skyline at all back then, since IDS dwarfed the Foshay tower which was the tallest at the time. The IDS had the nickname "the big blue icicle" for its imposing figure.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 09:58:02 PM »

I kinda live in the suburbs, and I don't really care about tall buildings. I worked in a tall building.

Why do you STILL talk about suburbs? Is it fun for you, like how I say Pawlenty will help McCain carry MN? Because if so, it stopped being funny a long time ago.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies