Confirmation Hearing: MAS117 (Attorney General)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:26:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: MAS117 (Attorney General)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: MAS117 (Attorney General)  (Read 6343 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2008, 07:26:01 AM »

I don't appreciate people asking me why I voted for or against them.

I don't mean to be rude but you don't want to be held accountable for your vote? If you have your reasons, that's fine but don't be outraged over someone wanting it explained.

Of course I want to be held accountable. And I wasn't enraged either, just merely noting I don't really like when people come asking me and others to explain their vote, just like I wouldn't ask somebody who voted against me in an election why they did so. I'm sure they'd have their reasons, and if they wanted to, they'd tell me.

But this isn't like someone voting in some election. You're a Senator. Your vote is part of the public record. There's nothing wrong in wanting some reasoning for your decision.

There is, however, something wrong in the nominee demanding, on the Senate floor no less, why people aren't voting to confirm him.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2008, 09:27:53 AM »

OK, so the tally is, as I see it:

Aye: 1
Nay: 2
Abstain: 3/4 (depending on afleitch; if it is an abstain or just 'not voted'))
Not voted: 3/4 (")

So the best case scenario for the nominee would be Aye 4, Nay 2, Abstain 3 with 1 no vote. As I dobn't believe it would be fair for a nominee to be confirmed without majority support, I am going to prevent the confirmation in the most effective way.

I vote Nay.

This is absolutely not for personal reasons, but for the reason that I do not think a nominee should be appointed without majority support of the senate. MAS doesn't have that, and I want to ensure that he is not confirmed purely because the senators couldn't make up their minds. I encourage my fellow senators to cast a firm vote, or for the President to propose a new candidate. If it becomes possible for MAS117 to reach at least 5 votes in favour, then I will reconsider my own.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2008, 10:51:09 AM »

OK, so the tally is, as I see it:

Aye: 1
Nay: 2
Abstain: 3/4 (depending on afleitch; if it is an abstain or just 'not voted'))
Not voted: 3/4 (")

So the best case scenario for the nominee would be Aye 4, Nay 2, Abstain 3 with 1 no vote. As I dobn't believe it would be fair for a nominee to be confirmed without majority support, I am going to prevent the confirmation in the most effective way.

I vote Nay.

This is absolutely not for personal reasons, but for the reason that I do not think a nominee should be appointed without majority support of the senate. MAS doesn't have that, and I want to ensure that he is not confirmed purely because the senators couldn't make up their minds. I encourage my fellow senators to cast a firm vote, or for the President to propose a new candidate. If it becomes possible for MAS117 to reach at least 5 votes in favour, then I will reconsider my own.

For the good of the entire nation in the chance to move on, I will withdraw my nomination. Thank you to President Phil for his confidence in me. Also, thank you to Hugh, for actually standing for something and doing whats right whether that was for me or against me. I have to say, I have been in Atlasia since before it was actually Atlasia, and this is one of the disingenuous and worst Senate sessions I have ever come across. The level of respect is subpar at best. Thank god for good Senators like Sam and Hugh who make it somewhat bearable. I believe my record of service here in Atlasia is admirable and stellar. I will not let those who wish to trash that due to personal reasons get the best of it. I urge all Senators to start doing their jobs, and doing them honorably.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies