are you wearing green today in honor of st. patrick's day
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:20:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  are you wearing green today in honor of st. patrick's day
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: are you wearing green today in honor of st. patrick's day
yes i am wearing green in honor of st. patrick's day

no i am not wearing green in honor of st. patrick's day

i am wearing green, but not in honor of st. patrick's day

i am not wearing green but i am still honoring st. patrck's day

i will get wasted in honor of st. patrick's day

i will get wasted but not because of st. patrick's day

i am like Aizen, wearing a green shirt because it was at the top of the drawer but if it were not there I would not be wearing it but it doesn't matter because i am wearing a sweatshirt over the green shirt because it is cold and snowing outside

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: are you wearing green today in honor of st. patrick's day  (Read 3133 times)
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 12:11:38 PM »

irish heritage isnt green beer and shamrocks.

Yea. It's potatoes.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 12:12:07 PM »

No, that's Quechua.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2008, 12:13:01 PM »

I did accidentally last S. Patrick's Day. I'll make sure not to make that mistake this time.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2008, 01:30:56 PM »

Yes. I'm 1/4 Irish (from the good part to boot). Even though I'm Northern Irish, I will celebrate this day for all of Ireland. I wont get drunk though, nor will anything I drink be green.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2008, 01:42:33 PM »

Okay, question while we are on the subject

So if someone pinches you because they don't think you're wearing green, but you actually are, are you within your rights to punch the pincher?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 01:49:08 PM »

St. Patrick's Day was March 15 this year so it wouldn't be during Holy Week...

Yeah, but some of these Irish insist on being Irish before being Roman Catholic. Shows how much they know about why the day even exists.

Anyway, I wore my azzurri (Italian blue) today.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 01:50:27 PM »

I'll be wearing orange (dual purpose) when i get home today.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2008, 01:51:57 PM »

but wherever they are...i bet they are being extra annoying today!

Haha, exactly!

And for once, I kind of want to side with BRTD and then again, I don't. He's sporting his Protestant orange and I'd love to do that (clothing wise) to spite the few people who actually know anything about the color significance. Then again, I am a proud Roman Catholic and cannot promote the other side.  Wink  Plus, orange = Dutch = Phil annoyed.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2008, 01:54:27 PM »

Haha, exactly!

And for once, I kind of want to side with BRTD and then again, I don't. He's sporting his Protestant orange and I'd love to do that (clothing wise) to spite the few people who actually know anything about the color significance. Then again, I am a proud Roman Catholic and cannot promote the other side.  Wink  Plus, orange = Dutch = Phil annoyed.

I'm actually part orangeman.  Not too much, but enough.  I do it because my family has done it for decades, and it irks my irish catholic descended friends but I don't understand why Red does it...is he part ulster irish/scots-irish?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2008, 01:55:14 PM »

Haha, exactly!

I'm actually part orangeman.  Not too much, but enough.  I do it because my family has done it for decades, and it irks my irish catholic descended friends but I don't understand why Red does it...is he part ulster irish/scots-irish?

BRTD? He just does it to annoy people.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2008, 01:58:55 PM »

Haha, exactly!

I'm somewhat offended by this.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2008, 02:05:39 PM »

Okay, question while we are on the subject

So if someone pinches you because they don't think you're wearing green, but you actually are, are you within your rights to punch the pincher?

Until last night, I had never heard of this. To answer your question, you are within your rights to punch the person whether you are wearing green or not.  Wink

Joe, I doubt you are offended (mainly because you are never offended) especially by such a true statement. You even admitted that most are annoying today, didn't you?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2008, 02:12:11 PM »

Haha, exactly!

And for once, I kind of want to side with BRTD and then again, I don't. He's sporting his Protestant orange and I'd love to do that (clothing wise) to spite the few people who actually know anything about the color significance. Then again, I am a proud Roman Catholic and cannot promote the other side.  Wink  Plus, orange = Dutch = Phil annoyed.

No. Ethnically I have nothing to do with Ireland or anywhere near Ireland at all. Scandinavia and inland Europe all the way.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2008, 02:15:38 PM »

Joe, I doubt you are offended (mainly because you are never offended) especially by such a true statement. You even admitted that most are annoying today, didn't you?

Well that's true, I'm not really offended.  It'd take a lot for that.

However, Mitty's assertion is not true, because he was implying that the Irish-descendents who hail from Boston are "being extra annoying".  He didn't say anything about "most" or "some" of them, which leads me to conclude that he's talking about all of them.

I will readily admit that some of my 'kin' (as well as those who aren't) behave obnoxiously today, but I ask those who do not celebrate St. Patrick's Day not to paint us with the same brush.  It also doesn't help to counter this obnoxiousness with the type of attitude in Walter's post.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2008, 02:18:17 PM »

However, Mitty's assertion is not true, because he was implying that the Irish-descendents who hail from Boston are "being extra annoying".  He didn't say anything about "most" or "some" of them, which leads me to conclude that he's talking about all of them.

Well, chances are that all of them are being annoying.  Wink

I have to remember to pray for my relatives in Boston.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's all in good fun, Joseph. You can get on my case when if I act the same way on your nominally patron saint's feast day this Wednesday.  Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2008, 02:36:53 PM »

As a prod, I should wear orange eh? Good on ya BRTD. I suppose this is one day of the year I can be nice to my Catholic friends (an overwhelming majority of my friends are catholic).
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2008, 02:57:47 PM »

I am unintentionally wearing a green sweatshirt because it was on top of all my other sweatshirts lol

It's totally not in honor of St. Patrick's Day.

And I'm only 1/16 Irish... -_-

Rin-chan
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2008, 03:05:37 PM »

Again I reiterate:

If you celebrated today, you did it wrong!
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2008, 03:50:51 PM »

I am wearing green though it's somewhat coincidental to it being St. Patrick's Day - but then the whole wearing green thing seems to be an American thing anyway. I doubt anyone's going to question my Irishness one way or the other.

Not going to get wasted - not my thing really.

I have to question your Irishness now.

Tongue

St. Patrick's Day was March 15 this year so it wouldn't be during Holy Week...

Yeah, but some of these Irish insist on being Irish before being Roman Catholic. Shows how much they know about why the day even exists.

Well that may be because a great many Irish people here aren't actually Roman Catholic at all.

It is Ireland's national holiday, so it's just as much a celebration of Ireland and our culture as anything else - our culture and inherent Irishness extends beyond religion.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2008, 03:54:14 PM »

Haha, exactly!

And for once, I kind of want to side with BRTD and then again, I don't. He's sporting his Protestant orange and I'd love to do that (clothing wise) to spite the few people who actually know anything about the color significance. Then again, I am a proud Roman Catholic and cannot promote the other side.  Wink  Plus, orange = Dutch = Phil annoyed.

St. Patrick's Day isn't just a Catholic thing - even in the religious sense. (Ian Paisley, for example, is a big fan of St. Patrick). SPD is also a holiday in the North.

And don't forget not to discount the possibility that any particular action by BRTD may simply be misguided/illogical/nonsensical, etc.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2008, 04:17:43 PM »

Well that may be because a great many Irish people here aren't actually Roman Catholic at all.

It is Ireland's national holiday, so it's just as much a celebration of Ireland and our culture as anything else - our culture and inherent Irishness extends beyond religion.

Well, at least nominally, the Republic of Ireland is overwhelmingly Roman Catholic.

But my point is that the day was meant to celebrate Catholicism arriving in Ireland, not "inherent Irishness." That ought to be Irish Independence Day or something.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2008, 04:34:06 PM »

Well, at least nominally, the Republic of Ireland is overwhelmingly Roman Catholic.

But my point is that the day was meant to celebrate Catholicism arriving in Ireland, not "inherent Irishness." That ought to be Irish Independence Day or something.

I think it's also important to note that Ireland's Protestant community are also celebrating Patrick's role in bringing of Christianity to Ireland. Plus inclusivity is good, what's wrong with positive festivities which bring people together in celebration whatever their faith?

I don't see why we need to have a separate holiday. It wouldn't be easy to come up with another date anyway (you could easily find constitutional scholars disagreeing on when exactly the date of Irish independence was for example). SPD is long established as Ireland's day. There's no reason why there needs to be a split between the religious aspect and the general celebration - they aren't mutually exclusive.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2008, 04:41:32 PM »

I think it's also important to note that Ireland's Protestant community are also celebrating Patrick's role in bringing of Christianity to Ireland. Plus inclusivity is good, what's wrong with positive festivities which bring people together in celebration whatever their faith?

Roll Eyes

Yep, I'm totally against bringing people together in celebration. That's exactly what I was saying! Nice spin.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I just think it would be more respectful if the religious aspect wasn't ignored during a religious feast day.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »

Enough, Phil.

Anyways, I've adopted my Irish surnames as part of my username for today Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2008, 04:55:42 PM »

Enough what? Is this what we resort to when we don't want others to share their reasonably voiced opinions?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies