Most liberal and conservative areas of your county?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:19:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Most liberal and conservative areas of your county?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Most liberal and conservative areas of your county?  (Read 28000 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2008, 02:17:08 PM »

You all suck for not posting maps Sad

I don't have a clue as to how to make maps. Sorry.

It's called MS Paint. Surely you've used it before?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2008, 02:24:03 PM »

Kinda approximate some of the time.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 02:29:25 PM »

Liberal: Chapel Hill and Carrboro
Conservative: the rural areas
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2008, 02:33:04 PM »

In Guilford County the most liberal area is the city of Greensboro and the most conservative areas are the country.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »

No, but I am trying to use it now. It seems very labor intensive to paint in colors into twisted shapes.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2008, 05:25:04 PM »

No, but I am trying to use it now. It seems very labor intensive to paint in colors into twisted shapes.

Well, if you don't enjoy it, don't do it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2008, 06:09:45 PM »

North Omaha is black, thus left leaning.  South East Omaha is Hispanic, so...middle of the road?  Central/Midtown and SouthCentral/Ralsont is part college kids, part Hispanic, part old blue collar white neigborhoods.  Papillion is the whitest place you'll ever see, and as conservative as you'd think it would be, it's where middle managment live and high dollar blue collar.  Bellevue is a military town (Offutt AFB), so a decent, if a bit conservative mix of peoples.  West Omaha, all of it, is McMansions, fast food, and WalMart's (with corn fields here and there...I aint kidding).  BSRTD's (or whatever) head would explode.  Council Bluffs is white trash.  We call it Counciltucky.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2008, 06:20:36 PM »

Probably the best I can do mapwise:

District 4, my district, is hardcore left wing. District 2 is fairly liberal, the western part of it is somewhat conservative but outvoted. District 3 is solidly liberal, as is District 1 except for the northern half of Brooklyn Park. 5 contains some fairly liberal areas but is generally conservative, 6 contains liberal pockets in the east but the bulk of the district in the lakes area in the west is very conservative. 7 is hardcore right wing.

Ranked from most to least liberal:

4-3-2-1-5-6-7
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2008, 06:22:22 PM »

Arlington County is so small, that it is liberal from top to bottom.

^^^^^^^^^^^

There is like one precinct that is Republican on a semi-reliable level, and even that went Democratic in 2006.   
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2008, 06:51:41 PM »

North Omaha is black, thus left leaning.  South East Omaha is Hispanic, so...middle of the road?  Central/Midtown and SouthCentral/Ralsont is part college kids, part Hispanic, part old blue collar white neigborhoods.  Papillion is the whitest place you'll ever see, and as conservative as you'd think it would be, it's where middle managment live and high dollar blue collar.  Bellevue is a military town (Offutt AFB), so a decent, if a bit conservative mix of peoples.  West Omaha, all of it, is McMansions, fast food, and WalMart's (with corn fields here and there...I aint kidding).  BSRTD's (or whatever) head would explode.  Council Bluffs is white trash.  We call it Counciltucky.

Whoa. There's blacks and hispanics in Nebraska? Learn something new every day.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2008, 10:42:08 AM »

Tons of Hispanics all over the state.  Black people are almost entirely in North Omaha, around the Air Force Base and one small part of Lincoln. 
perdedor

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2008, 11:59:10 AM »

Travis County, Texas:

The most liberal part is the northern most areas, which encompasses downtown Austin and the more artsy, college town areas. The most conservative parts would, logically, be the southern most parts; which encompass mainly suburbia, retail, and wilderness.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2008, 12:36:56 PM »

Almost all agrian states have sizable Hispanic populations because they make cheap farm labor. Their turnout in such areas is terrible though so it doesn't effect the politics.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2008, 11:46:41 PM »

Philadelphia county

Most liberal - Center City (specifically areas around Rittenhouse Square and Society Hill), Queen Village (borders Center City) and Chestnut Hill

Most conservative - Northeast Philadelphia (specifically the neighborhoods of Somerton, Fox Chase and Oxford Circle) and a pocket of South Philadelphia.

Generally agree with some modifications.

Most Socially Liberal- Center City, Manayunk, Chestnut Hill
Most Economically Liberal- Predominately African American neighborhoods

The above areas are both economically and socially liberal, but African Americans are more religious and socially conservative.  The socially liberal areas are predominately white and affluent except for maybe Manayunk where it's mostly young professionals.

Conservative- yeah I'd agree with you except I don't agree with Oxford Circle.  Democrats have done very well there and would actually be a liberal, pro-choice area in the Northeast represented by Cohen and Sabatina.  As for Somerton, you have a small VERY conservative part that's George Kenney's core neighborhoods with the rest being moderate to liberal, but still conservative by Philly standards.  I think Mayfair's more conservative than both socially, but not more than Somerton economically.  You could also add Crestmont Farms, Winchester and Lexington Parks as conservative as well.  The pocket of South Philly might actually be the most conservative.

Economically you'd be hard pressed to find a solidly economically conservative area considering Fox Chase, Mayfair, and the pocket of South Philly the KP was talking about has a large union presence.  If I were to take a stab at it, I'd definitely say the conservative part of Somerton and Crestmont Farms would take that honor considering you have large homes with SUV's parked in the driveways. 
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »

The rural areas and the rich suburb to the north are heavy conservative but it's all swallowed up by my 50,000 member college campus and surrounding urban failed commune, I live in Austin.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2008, 11:52:17 PM »

Conservative- yeah I'd agree with you except I don't agree with Oxford Circle.  Democrats have done very well there and would actually be a liberal, pro-choice area in the Northeast represented by Cohen and Sabatina.

I'm thinking of the Taubenberger area (the area Kenney represents) near Burholme.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I generally agree but I'm actually going to say that Crestmont Farms is definitley more economically conservative for obvious reasons. Crestmont Farms is home to a few politically active liberals and I'm sure there's also just that general libertarian vibe. I guess it would still be one of the more conservative areas and I'm not complaining. I'm just thirty seconds away.  Smiley

I'd still say that that pocket of South Philly has some economic conservatives. It's not all rowhomes, believe it or not.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2008, 08:37:51 AM »

Most conservative: Wilson Store precinct. Totally rural, 99% white, mostly a mobile home park, most conservative white trash in the whole county.

Most liberal: Freeman precinct. The only majority-minority precinct, and the home of the uber-yuppie land off Lake Belews.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »

Arlinton County, Virginia:

Most liberal:  all of it, really.  Mostly yuppies, single women, sizeable Asian community FOB.

Most conservative:  I guess I'd have to say Addison Heights.  Why?  I thought I saw a McCain sign in the window on one of the apartment buildings.   Not surprising, I suppose, since the Pentagon is across the street. 
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2008, 12:15:45 PM »

Whatcom County, Washington:

Liberal- South Bellingham, with a lot of (too many) yuppies and many college students at Western Washington University

Conservative- Lynden; not even close, at least 90% go to church weekly and there are rules on how long one's lawn must be.  The 15,000 person area also has its own Christian school system.  The high school alone has >400 students.  Bellingham Christian School doesn't even have a high school.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2008, 12:54:38 PM »

Economically rightist are the very wealthy communities up by the New York state border such as Saddle River and Mahwah, which are the most Republican areas. Socially conservative would be the Italian communities in the southwest of the county around Rochelle Park and southward to Rutherford (which is where DWTL lives). That area's almost evenly divided by party, though, because it's also lower middle class.

Economically leftist would be my own town especially, and the row of less wealthy towns generally, Englewood to Hackensack (the county seat) in the center of the county, which also contain together 70% of the county's black population and a good chunk of the Hispanic population. These are also the most Democratic areas. Socially liberal would probably be just to the south such as Fort Lee at the base of the George Washington Bridge where a lot of the residents are former NYC residents who can better afford what is essentially city life just outside the city. This area is also intensely Demcratic, but less so, and partially because of the very large Asian (especially Korean) population.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2008, 01:22:12 PM »

Most liberal: I'm sure you guys know already.
Most conservative: Pleasanton, Dublin, Livermore
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2008, 09:40:17 PM »

Conservative- yeah I'd agree with you except I don't agree with Oxford Circle.  Democrats have done very well there and would actually be a liberal, pro-choice area in the Northeast represented by Cohen and Sabatina.

I'm thinking of the Taubenberger area (the area Kenney represents) near Burholme.

I generally agree but I'm actually going to say that Crestmont Farms is definitley more economically conservative for obvious reasons. Crestmont Farms is home to a few politically active liberals and I'm sure there's also just that general libertarian vibe. I guess it would still be one of the more conservative areas and I'm not complaining. I'm just thirty seconds away.  Smiley

I'd still say that that pocket of South Philly has some economic conservatives. It's not all rowhomes, believe it or not.

I know where you're talking about and I guess I'd consider that Burholme/Lawndale, not so much Oxford Circle.  Historically, Oxford Circle was very Jewish but "transitioned" so to speak. 

Crestmont Farms has some nice homes.  I remember working a catering job years ago at one.  I would think it's conservative due to the wealth.

As for South Philly, yeah I'd agree with you to a point.  There are some very nice new developments near the Sports Complex.  Still a solidly economically conservative area in Philly would be a hard find though and even socially... you'd find quite a few "law and order" type conservative areas, but not so much religious.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2008, 09:42:32 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2008, 07:18:24 PM by President Keystone Phil »

Crestmont Farms has some nice homes.  I remember working a catering job years ago at one.  I would think it's conservative due to the wealth.

Some?  Wink

I know the area you're talking about but there are quite a few even closer to Broad and Oregon.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2008, 07:12:13 PM »

Well, this is pretty damn hard being as my whole county pretty much leans conservative. But this one little town called Williams is notorious as a haven for hippies, even though I think they only make up like 15-35 percent there. The Illinois Valley area, to the SW of GP might also be said to be slightly more liberal. In the election for sheriff, they voted for the guy who promised to change things rather than the old stalwart, so that probably says something. But they're still majority conservative, like the rest of my former lumber county.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2008, 09:20:59 PM »

Putnam NY

liberal: Philipstown (Cold Spring especially)
conservative: Kent or Patterson

I can be sure no one here has heard of these places : )
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies