How do you compare politically to your siblings.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:12:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How do you compare politically to your siblings.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: How do you compare politically to your siblings.  (Read 4046 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2008, 10:37:41 AM »

If you're an only child, I pity you.  Choose a cousin or something.

My older brother (5 years older) is a big time radical.  He spurns the major parties.  He doesn't really like Capitalism, but is smart enough to realize he's not going to change it, so he does his best to take advantage of it.  He has been known to say things like "Oh.. you want a dog eat dog world?  Competition?  Fine... get me a fork so I can eat you."

My sister is not just a bleeding heart liberal.. she's a gusher.  She is a big animal rights person, though she does eat meat.  She believes animals should be treated with respect, but that killing them to eat them is a part of nature.. and that doing so respectfully makes a difference.  She is pro-choice on a political level, but personally is pro-life.    She's a pretty solid Democrat.

Believe it or not, I'm probably the most conservative of the three.  But I'm also the most partisan Democrat.

We derive our liberalism from our mother.  My father is a Glenn Beck-style conservative.  My mother was a Republican until she realized that some times life is just a bitch, and so we shouldn't go around pretending we're better or more responsible than everybody else.  If life hands you lemons, make lemonade.. and if it still tastes like sh**t.. vote Democrat.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 10:52:22 AM »

My cousin is a big Obama supporter, certainly more liberal than I am.  He fully supports gun control, as well as affirmative action.  He opposes the war in Iraq, and favors a smaller military.  He's also a big animal rights activist, but he does eat meat.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 10:58:36 AM »

my sister is a very partisan democrat.  she claims she has never voted for a republican for any office.

she is a hillary supporter.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 11:04:34 AM »

We are all liberal.

One of my brothers is a political. The other tends to vote Green. My sister has been known to vote Tory.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 12:07:02 PM »

My older sister is a kool aid drinker. My young sister's top two issues are "gun control and abortion (pro and anti respectively). She doesn't like any of the three.

My mother and father are both voting for McCain, though my father preferred Romney (poor hater) and my mother preferred Huckabee (religious & personality wise).
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 12:20:10 PM »

My sister is very non-political.

She would have a hard time fitting into any political party in Australia. She against Howard in the last election because in her words "he's a nasty little c**t".

Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 12:40:37 PM »

My brother is 18 and completely apathetic towards politics.  He refers to the forum as "political poo" (no I'm not censoring him thats what he actually calls it).

Both my parents are typically Republican voters but not officially Republicans.  They're essentially economy voters who vote against tax hikes (except school levies) and they're against the welfare state.  Neither one of them is "born again" so they're aren't particularly socially conservative but it is evident they have some racial and gay prejudices but I don't think either one would use sexuality or race as a reason not to vote for someone. 

My dad is particularly fond of McCain and my mom is undecided.  She likes Obama but she has some reservations about his experience.  I'm not sure what she thinks of McCain.  Both of them are big time Clinton haters which probably has had some influence on my dislike for them as well.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 12:48:04 PM »

My sister is your classic socially Liberal young woman. Although I bet she is more economically conservative than me. I'm probably the most socially conservative in the family. Except on the Death Penalty, which everyone in my family supports except me. My Dad is very economically liberal and same with social Issues. My mom is economically moderate and socially liberal. I'm probably the only one in my family that is Pro-Life and Anti-Death Penalty.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 01:17:55 PM »

Only one of my cousins have their political views on facebook, and apparently he is very Conservative: His PC score is ec: +1.38 soc: +6.92. He is very pro-military. I think my cousin living in the Netherlands is centre-left. I saw her Dutch husband reading a Michael Moore book, and I know her mother had some unkind things to say about Bush. I have 2 other cousins that seem rather apolitical.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 01:45:33 PM »

My older sister is an independent. She's conservative on issues like gun control and the death penalty...but she is liberal on social issues. She was not supporting Hillary or Obama, the first because of gender, the latter because of race...but has since decided to support Hillary after she found "some views" she likes about her. However, in the event of an Obama vs. McCain match-up, she may well vote for McCain. She voted for Kerry in 2004.

My younger sister is probably a closet liberal. She has the typical young teen girl attitude of liberalness. (Pro-Abortion, Pro-Gay Marriage (She said "even though it's gross") and she believes "rich people should pay more taxes". She was supporting McCain, then jumped onto the Hillary bandwagon...and in the event of an Obama vs. McCain race...would probably also vote for McCain.

Again...they aren't that solid in positions. My sisters should clearly vote for Obama if he is the Democratic Nominee...but wouldn't because they "don't like him". Thats the way many young voters are.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 01:47:34 PM »

I have 4 sisters and 2 brothers....so im not going to try. I just know two of them voted here in Virginia for Obama. The rest dont really care enough for politics to go and vote.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 01:50:22 PM »

I told my sister to take the Political Compass, and she got -3, +5. She's going for Hillary, "Because she's a girl", though. She's 13, so I don't pay attention to half the crap she says.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 01:52:50 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2008, 02:01:20 PM by opebo »

He's libertarian/fascist.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 01:57:53 PM »

damn, imagine having Opebo as a brother...
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 03:49:24 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2008, 04:11:46 PM by Flesh (A Split Second) »

I'm far more libertarian. One of my sisters is apathetic but with typical anti-corporate talking points, and the other is a feminist hillary supporter. The latter I tend to agree with more. My parents have traditionally been Republican, but have begun to go in different directions politically. My dad is sort of hard to classify. I'd say neo-Con but he's not that hawkish, it pretty much boils down to taxes, Reagan/Giuliani, and a few issues like abortion (or so he claims). My mom is pretty much independent and centrist (by now), probably averaging somewhere slightly on the bottom right of the PM. She doesn't really agree with anyone running now but has thought about voting for Hillary.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 04:13:33 PM »

I have three older sisters.  Two are Baptist and one attends a church that is a sister-church to Rod Parsley's temple of greed.  They are all convinced I am damned because I'm an Episcopalian.  So we never actually get to politics -- but yeah, all three are staunch Republican just like my Mother. 

I miss my Dad. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 04:17:36 PM »

My sister really doesn't care but I have had some influence on her (as well as the other conservative Republicans in my family though I am clearly the political one). She speaks up every so often in class apparently. She'll definitley register as a Republican. I'd say that she's conservative but possibly more center-right (which could sum up my Mom, too).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 05:07:28 PM »

I have two brothers, one a moderate liberal, and one an immoderate liberal. We all get along fine.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 05:11:55 PM »

I have two half-siblings by blood - brother 32, sister ~27.  don't think the latter cares.  my brother is very left-wing and very brilliant, too.  he lives in Chicago though so I never see him.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 05:19:10 PM »

My sisters should clearly vote for Obama if he is the Democratic Nominee...but wouldn't because they "don't like him". Thats the way many young voters are.

I think that's probably the opposite of most young voters.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 06:16:12 PM »

My sister (as with my parents) is a liberal, though not necessarily tethered to any political party.  However, she usually votes Democratic. 

My cousin (who is about five years older than my sister) is more of a mystery, though I would not be too surprised if she voted for Barack Obama during the Washington state primary, and supported either Howard Dean or Dennis Kucinich four years earlier. 

For that matter, I would not be shocked if she admitted that she voted for Ralph Nader in the 2000 election. 
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2008, 06:48:24 PM »

I love how Naso tries to characterize and generalize "libs" by his limited personal experience with people in his family... and tries to come off as the more objective, less racist/sexist person throughout the whole thing.

It leaves me wondering if it's really Mike that has a problem with Hillary's sex or Obama's race.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 07:02:21 PM »

My brother isn't quite as liberal as I am but he will definitely register as a Democrat.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 08:24:26 PM »

My younger brother is likely center-left like I am, but generally he's not very political and seems to enjoy it that way.

My older sister is a bit of a mystery.. she used to be seem very socially conservative but is now much more moderate. Economically she's probably also center-right. Her husband, my brother is law, is a self-proclaimed libertarian who is in love with the like of Ronald Reagan, Glen Beck, and Rush Limbaugh. He must not know any real leftists because he chooses me to half-jokingly infer that I am a vegetarian or would join a colony of people who believe humans are the bane of nature and thus neuter themselves. My sister probably vastly misrepresented my personal beliefs that have changed substantially since I was a teenager (I had an anarchist phase that I remember she got upset about).

My mother is confused but is likely your typical socially conservative suburban housewife type of person who will vote for whomever my dad likes.

My dad is quite the conservative evangelical type of person, economically and socially. He loves Alan Keyes and once registered Republican just to vote for him in a presidential primary. That turned out real well..
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2008, 08:26:52 PM »

I don't have any siblings.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies