Is the Pledge of Allegience a form of idoltary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:10:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is the Pledge of Allegience a form of idoltary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is the Pledge of Allegience a form of idoltary?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Is the Pledge of Allegience a form of idoltary?  (Read 5745 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2008, 01:24:52 AM »

Yes. Hence I refuse to ever say it (not that it's been an issue for 12 years.) However I also refuse to salute the flag ever on the same grounds. (including during the National Anthem at sporting events or whatever.)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 01:36:22 AM »

No. While we do technically say that we pledge our allegiance to the flag, I have always taken it to mean allegiance to our country. Someone concerned about idolatry shouldn't really have a problem with this, though, since we are "one nation, under God."
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 03:31:23 AM »

No. While we do technically say that we pledge our allegiance to the flag, I have always taken it to mean allegiance to our country. Someone concerned about idolatry shouldn't really have a problem with this, though, since we are "one nation, under God."

exactly, anyone with common sense understands that it is not placing country ahead of God.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 11:48:09 AM »

No, even if you remove the "under God" part. You aren't worshipping the flag as a deity, you are simply declaring allegiance to the US. If it was, you couldn't pledge loyalty to anyone other than your God without it being a sin, which would be problematic from a standpoint of allowing society to run.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 02:29:43 PM »

I find it amusing that you chose this singular aspect of life to demonstrate your.....piety.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 03:33:57 PM »

exactly, anyone with common sense understands that it is not placing country ahead of God.

Jmfcst and I agree.

I am sure we're each looking for our medication!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 03:38:06 PM »

No.

And not saying 'under God' when making a pledge to your nation is not a form of 'treason' either!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 03:41:44 PM »

No, it's showing that we believe in our country.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 05:10:13 PM »

No, it is a way to promote nationalism; but not idolatry.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 09:13:25 PM »

I suppose you could make a case for it being metaphorical idolatry, but you could do that with a lot of things.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 01:18:15 AM »

Let me give another example. My car is basically a hand-me-down from my parents. At one point they had a small American flag waving from the antenna, but it got rather frayed, so they just stuffed it somewhere in the glove compartment and forgot about it. I found it once while cleaning my car. It was too frayed to the point of not being suitable for display anymore (not that I would anyway), so I tossed it in the garbage with the rest of the junk. I didn't burn it or carry any elaborate ceremony to "properly" dispose of it, and why should I? To actually oppose disrespecting the flag (malrespecting is probably a better term for me) sort of implies that it violates some type of moral standard which if you're Christian thus implies that God has given some sort of favoritism to the US (then again many conservative Christians DO seem to believe this.) I'm not going to show any level of respect to symbols of secular institutions anymore than I'm going to to any of my band shirts. As far as I'm concerned leaving an American flag on the floor is no different from me leaving my band shirts laying around on the floor.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 05:54:04 AM »

...and living in a free country you get to act that way if you want to.  You're not the first to come to this conclusion.

(I think it's pretty tacky to hang a flag from a car in the fist place..or a yellow ribbon, especially of the magnetic variety.  I actually love and respect my country, flag and fellow brothers in arms enough to not make meaningless gestures towards them.)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 11:54:27 AM »

...and living in a free country you get to act that way if you want to.  You're not the first to come to this conclusion.

(I think it's pretty tacky to hang a flag from a car in the fist place..or a yellow ribbon, especially of the magnetic variety.  I actually love and respect my country, flag and fellow brothers in arms enough to not make meaningless gestures towards them.)

Although I certainly don't lose any sleep over it, I think the worst, by far, are the American Flag tee-shirts that were really popular a few years back.  After making the cheesy gesture, you then put it in the washing machine and dryer. Seems kind of contradictory.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 12:20:20 PM »

Agreed.  Don't they usually have a bald eagle or wolf in front?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 10:02:58 AM »

Aye, no flags as clothing.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 03:50:24 PM »

I'm not quite sure that pledging allegiance to an inanimatwe object is permissible. One of the reasons I don't.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 04:07:45 PM »

Thankfully in a free country you don't have to.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 05:37:38 PM »

The pledge of allegance is a good idea, but saying "Under God" makes me think that we are trying become the next Israelites, when God no longer allows  salvation to just "chosen people".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies