what if hillary said....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:55:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  what if hillary said....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: what if hillary said....  (Read 1774 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2008, 10:48:27 PM »

what if hillary said... I was mugged by Barack Obama, who may or may not have sold drugs in the ghetto, and may or may not be a Muslim, but will likely match the results of Jesse Jackson when he ran, and who will shuck and jive at his news conferences because he is where and what he is because he's black. But for the record, I hadn't really noticed that his skin is different; didn't he try to pass as white on SNL? Why hasn't the media gotten to the bottom of this?

That's very clever, string together a lot of comments from a huge campaign of over a year from anyone who is supporting it in any medium or format, in any context, and use this to prove that the head of that campaign is a dirty racist.

For the record, look at the transcript of Andrew Cuomo's remarks on Albany Talk 1300, a small local radio state in a non-battleground primary state which would never have come into the campaign at all if Obama's campaign had not chosen to highlight it. It is clear that he is talking about all the candidates in the primary process in general. The phrase is never in good taste, but the words were completely taken out of context:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 11:30:11 PM »

You fail to understand that it isn't a free pass, Phil. Obama's getting flak for it. Is he getting less flak than if Hillary said something similar? Of course.  Obama has a mitigating factor, Hillary doesn't.

Your argument about there being a "mitigating factor" is enough of a free pass for me.

You want me to believe that Clinton and Obama are on the same footing to begin with, and the broader proposition that blacks and whites are on equal footing (or rather equal enough footing)?  And if they're not, why can't we take the disparity into account when analyzing why we all suppose Hillary will get different treatment compared to what Barack has gotten?

I am in no way saying that or believe that. I'm simply fighting the hypocrites that want to talk about us all moving forward together towards racial equality (people like yourself, I'm sure) and then make an excuse everytime a black person does something like this.

By the way, I don't want to live in a color blind society. I want to live in a society where we embrace our differences.[/quote]

Okay, maybe my hyperbole/exaggeration was a bit out of line there, but every time a black person does something like this?  So far I (since you've basically equated myself and the rest of those hypocrites) have only defended Obama's comments and the some of the factual components of his pastor (another story entirely and if you want to dig into that, go ahead, but you may wish to do so in another thread).

It's unreasonable because there has to be a time when enough is enough. You still didn't answer my question: when will enough time pass so that we don't have to excuse people when they do this? When will minorities reach the point where they've gotten their "revenge" for being put down? When do we move forward? We are constantly told that this must be done and yet everytime someone of the "unpriveledged" status slips up, there is an excuse. When does that end or will the finger pointing go on forever? If it is never ending, don't lecture us of the "priveledged" position about not making advances in race affairs. Thanks.
[/quote]

I never said that the finger pointing should last indefinitely.  But to think that after a good 150 years+ of slavery, another 100 of segregation and Jim Crow, and not even including any more modern and less obvious forms of inequality, that its okay to say, enough is enough.

Yes, as we both have Italian ancestry we both know it wasn't just african americans who got the shaft, but they got it especially bad and perhaps still do.

No, we can't allow a tit for every tat that's ever occurred throughout our country's history; however, to be like (and i'm not really attributing this anything you've said) look, we've made you equal under the law and done our best to try and improve your socio-economic fortune, you need to get over what happened in the past and not harbor any animosity.  I just don't see that as being realistic right now.  Heck I'm still not even sure that despite what the law says, everyone is equal under it.  So while its obvious to you and I both that Obama or the average black guy can't and shouldn't hold a grudge forever, I guess I can maybe see why they may think the typical white person has some sort of racial aversion considering our history.  And perhaps I can sort of in a sense be a little more forgiving when they blurt out a plain ole dumb remark than I would from someone or some group who hasn't been subjected to what other groups have had.

And you, from my interpretation from what you've said (and I probably am wrong), seem to think that now that everyone's equal (be it equal under the law, or has equal opportunity or both) everyone should get the same sort of repremand for similar offenses.  And if that's actually true, maybe you have something but...

I guess when I see it, things currently aren't equal enough, and I'm not advocating some sort of massive shake up of the existing order (Opebo's right, i favor the status quo too much), I don't see the speakers as necessarily being equal in the first place (unfortunately, and maybe Phil you're right, I'm a hypocrite) and thus I don't necessarily see the meaning behind the words (despite the textual similarities) as being the same and thus meriting the same sort of rebuke.

So yes, both Obama and Hypothetical Hillary should be rebuked, but I can't see them getting the same admonishment. 

Shrug.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 11:43:54 PM »

You want me to believe that Clinton and Obama are on the same footing to begin with, and the broader proposition that blacks and whites are on equal footing (or rather equal enough footing)?  And if they're not, why can't we take the disparity into account when analyzing why we all suppose Hillary will get different treatment compared to what Barack has gotten?

Let's just start treating people like people. How about that? Constantly taking into account "disparity" (which Obama himself really didn't suffer from) gets us no where. We start telling people they wrong no matter what their race may be.

But would I be ready to complain from years about the bad treatment our ancestors received? No, I wouldn't.

I'm not asking blacks to forget about their horrible experiences. I'd never ask that. All I'm asking is that they receive the same lecture that whites receive. Playing down the remarks will never solve our problems with race in America.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 12:50:00 AM »

Obama explained exactly what he meant in the interview, if you'd look beyond the snippets of sound bites that are played ad nauseum on Fox "News".
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008, 12:52:33 AM »

Obama explained exactly what he meant in the interview, if you'd look beyond the snippets of sound bites that are played ad nauseum on Fox "News".

Cute statement especially since it is known that I am no fan of FOX News.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 01:07:27 AM »

Cute statement especially since it is known that I am no fan of FOX News.
Eh, I wasn't really responding to you. Just the idea of the thread that Obama randomly started talking about how white people are typically racist.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies